Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2019, 17:08   #1

RF vs Hanked on on a 24ft tri

Howdy,
Resontly bought a Rhodes Kliss 3 , 24ft tri , being the biggest boat I have owned and never a multi before.

My first thought was to put the genoa on a furler so I can reef in when it blows up but having second thoughts given the posts else where about jammed furlers ect.

Besides ,being a tri dont I have a much larger safety factor going forward with nets either side of the pitching fordeck ??

The boat came with main , genoa ,jib ,spinika and storm sail hanked on.

What do peolpe have on their tris ??

many thanks
Lindsay

heandonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 23:59   #2

Boat: Chamberlin 11.6 catamaran
Re: RF vs Hanked on on a 24ft tri

If you would like the convenience of a furler, put one on. I have never had mine jam in 19 years. I have a cat now but had tris for ten years and a furler would have been very nice.
catsketcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 20:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsketcher View Post
If you would like the convenience of a furler, put one on. I have never had mine jam in 19 years. I have a cat now but had tris for ten years and a furler would have been very nice.
hi,
did you find any performance drop when you furled the sail in?
how much of the genoa could be practicaly furled and still working ?
Old 06-03-2019, 21:09   #4

Boat: Ericson 35-3

My opinion, sail it as is for awhile and see if you find that you want to be able to furl the sail. If you find that you want to be able to furl vs. changing sails it can always be added. If you find you don't seem to need it, you haven't shelled out a pile of money on a furler and recutting sails to fit it.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 21:57   #5

You can easily rig a job downhaul on a boat that size, brining the jib completely down whenever you want. It would be held by the downhaul and sheets until you could forward and secure it better with line.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 00:02   #6

Thanks for the replies,looks like I need to sail her for a while first.I like the downhaul idea .Will look into that.
Realy dont like the wishbone thing swing around above my head.If Ian Farrier thought it was a good idea to go boomless maybe I should look into it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Dark Side.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	187440  
Old 07-03-2019, 06:54   #7

To rig a simple downhaul, you will need:
A light line long enough to go from the head of the jib to the stem fitting at the bow than back to the cockpit, plus a 3-4' tail.
An small turning block, sized for the downhaul line, attached to the stem fitting.
A halyard clip or bowline attaching the downhaul to the head of the jib.
A cleat or cam cleat in the cockpit to secure the downhaul.

Pass half the line through the block and back to the cockpit, then weave the other half through the hanks of the jib and attach the downhaul to the head of the jib.

Let the line run out as you raise the jib. To douse the job, simple let go the halyard and heave around on the downhaul. Cleating the downhaul and tightening the sheet should secure the job well enough. When you can go forward, secure the job with a couple of pieces of light line or the lazy sheet.

It takes longer to describe it than it takes to do it. Cheap, easy dousing solution for small headsails.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:11   #8

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

That's a nice looking boat. Congratulations.

The sails on you boat are small enough to be manageable. It will be easier to change between jib and genoa if you stay with hanked on sails, and it will perform better. I had a 31' tri with hanked on sails and loved it. I could leave one sail hanked on in a bag ready to hoist the minute the flying sail came down. The tramps will give you plenty of secure room to make timely sail changes.

Cheers,
Old 23-03-2019, 03:15   #9

I have been out in my Klis3 a couple of times now and managed to not do anything too embarrassing.Although I should cut down on the swearing as you know how sound can travel.

Being new to multihulls and sailing in general I am struck by how much I dont know. About a lot of things but more pressing is the science of sail shape and what the hell is actually going up there.And when I should do what which brings me to inquire does anyone have any suggestions of books I should be reading at this time.

I am no racer but I am sure any multihull owner would confess that we all just want to go FAST
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190219_203248.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	367.9 KB
ID:	188543  
Old 23-03-2019, 04:51   #10

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

You can still change sails, even on a furler, so why not go with one. Jamming is normally only an issue in heavy conditions, when the design parameters of the furler have been exceeded.

Furled sails do not set well, but maybe not so much an issue on a multihull, as there are limits to the efficient pointing ability?
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2019, 08:59   #11

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Put the sails in sausage bags and leave them on deck. You can drop one sail and put it in the bag and then just pull out the other out of the other bag. Sausage bags are as long as the intended sail so there is no folding. It can be a pretty quick changeover.
Tie the bags off to something because they will want to blow away when empty. Don't ask me how I know this.
Old 24-03-2019, 19:06   #12

OP; Do you have crew or are you single handing ?

MartinR, I would have thought heavy conditions is precisely the time you want it working smoothly.

Efficient pointing ability ? The greatest "issue" effecting a multihulls pointing ability is apparent wind, when you are fast pointing goes down but vmg goes up.
Slow boats point high.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 22:42   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
OP; Do you have crew or are you single handing ?

MartinR, I would have thought heavy conditions is precisely the time you want it working smoothly.

Efficient pointing ability ? The greatest "issue" effecting a multihulls pointing ability is apparent wind, when you are fast pointing goes down but vmg goes up.
Slow boats point high.
Single handing and thanks for the tip ,so the faster I go I will bear off slightly.
Noticed a definate exceleration when the lee float lifts a little.I hit 5.4kts yesterday

I am liking the hanked on sails at the moment ,enjoy them working well when I get it right.
Old 24-03-2019, 23:36   #14

Headonz;
Yes, bare away slightly.
Look at the Americas Cup catamarans, even “downwind” they are sheeted in and on the breeze as apparent is so high.
Get some telltales for your sails and then you can either steer to the telltales or trim sails to the breeze and always be sailing efficiently.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2019, 02:24   #15

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Racing cats point rather high. I have sailed Tornadoes, but when you bear off a little bit, things become more fun. It seems to me the reason most cruising multihulls do not do well upwind is simply windage.

On my iceboat, the main is sheeted more or less midships, independent of wind angle. Ice boats are like racing multihulls, but more extreme.

You should be able to do much more than 5.4 knots, even in light winds, if you get the trim right.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote