Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2008, 08:32   #1
JCF

Boat: 26' CATAMARAN
Retirement Cruiser

Hello all...

Does anybody have any comments on this advert? What about the design? The fitout? The price? Etc.?

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

It still pretty early and I'm looking to go from mono to multi, but all advise is appreciated.

J
JCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 09:40   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
It looks well cared for, price is right.
I don't see anything about the sail inventory.
Definitely come to the dark side, you won't be sorry.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 09:47   #3

Boat: C&C 27
Who built it? Before you get too serious, get some references on surveyors in the area who can take a look at it for a few bucks. She may be a gem, then again...

Thans for the link. It looks like my next build project will be a tri so I'm getting kind of fond of them.

It looks like a solent rig.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 10:03   #4
JCF

Hola Senormechanico and Puravida,

I havent really been inquiring a whole lot and right now I'm just sort of starting to explore to get a feel for the different designs and what is out there.

I'm not sure whom built her, but if you look in the full specifications section, it denotes the full suit of sails that she sports. She does seem to be well cared for and fitted out.

As already mentioned, just looking around to get a feel, but when it becomes more serious, you can bet that a full survey will be commissioned with full sea trial before the deal is closed.

Do you have any information on the design or whether the fitout is sufficient etc? How about other designs?

Thanks again,
J
Old 26-01-2008, 11:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
Designed by Jim Brown. Many were built by their owners so quality can vary but this looks like a good example from the pictures and well equipped. Like others have said get a survey. The price looks very attractive. This is a capable blue water boat that has a comfortable motion and good performance. Searunners are one of the most popular cruising trimarans. If you are looking at tri's the Cross designs would also be worth a look. Unless you have 150-200k to spend these may provide the most bang for the buck.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 14:37   #6

Boat: Cross 38 Trimaran
Brown Searunner

Searunner 42's were the largest of the Searunner's. John Marples is still active and sells the Searunner design plans along with Constant Camber he and Brown are good friends. Marples is in St Ausgustine Fla. Google Marples trimaran and you can get his phone number. If you can get the hull number John may be able to give you some history of that boat
Google Trimariners Pages and you can see a current list of boats people are sailing. Some of them have email address. As the Packard ad's used to say "ask the man who owns one"
They are very seaworthy, comfortable boats, and have taken their owners thousands of sea miles. Of course they are somewhat dated and don't look as flash as the new models. but again very sea worthy. I don't think you would be disappointed with a Searunner. Of course they are wood, nothing wrong with that, my boat was wood. They all have glass skins.
The boat you mention has been on the hard in Mexico for some time. It may be available at a good discount. If I wasn't committed to a Cross I would check it out. I would prefer a Searunner over a Cross as they have a centerboard and very shallow draft something to consider if you are cruising the pacific or anywhere for that matter.
Finally I met a couple in Bundaberg Queensland some years ago who had a 42. They had sailed from SF. They were very pleased with their boat's performance and sea keeping ability. Unfortunately they lost her in the tsunami in Phuket.
Rich
Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2008, 10:34   #7
JCF

Hey,

What gives? I get emails that members responded, but when I visit the thread, they are not there?
Old 27-01-2008, 10:44   #8
JCF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust View Post
Designed by Jim Brown. Many were built by their owners so quality can vary but this looks like a good example from the pictures and well equipped. Like others have said get a survey. The price looks very attractive. This is a capable blue water boat that has a comfortable motion and good performance. Searunners are one of the most popular cruising trimarans. If you are looking at tri's the Cross designs would also be worth a look. Unless you have 150-200k to spend these may provide the most bang for the buck.
Hello Steve,

Thanks for the heads up. A survey is always a must. I may be new to the "Darth Vader" side, but I have about 20,000 NM under a couple of keels.

I like the Crosses too. I was looking at the Horstmans also. I don't know yet...just looking. I would never spend 150K for a vessel and to be honest, It appears that the older designs have some "beef" to them and not just fancy minimum skins on the hulls.

I see you have the 40'. How is the headroom and payload capacity? It is very difficult to get published designer information on these older designs.

Thanks Red Horse...just the kind of info I was looking for. I will definitely ask the owners, that is why I am here and, it is google time.

J
Old 29-01-2008, 17:15   #9
JCF

Well, I did some inquiring and was not really satisfied with the "explanations", or rather lack thereof on the Seaarunner. It appears that no one in Sonora is in a hurry to sell.

Any body care to share their thoughts on the PDQ Capella 36 footer?

Check this out. It looks like it may have been there for a while and the NADA value I ran registers $125K.

PDQ 36 Catamaran for Sale and for Captained and Bareboat Charter in Key West, Florida

Any thoughts or personal knowlege would be appreciated.

J
Old 31-01-2008, 10:39   #10

used tri

There is a Cross in San Pedro named Thesis, very nice boat she has been cruised to the South Pacific and back. Jeff who runs the Cross website has intimate knowledge of this boat she is now part of an estate sale. Also there is a Crowther Buc for sale in San Pedro called Jaberwocky. Very well equipped.
There is another Brown 42 in Cal for 20 thou. I see you are in N.Y. I found the preceding at Yacht World but only checked the West Coast. You might check with New England Multihull Assoc to see if they have any knowledge of boats for cruising.
sarge
Old 31-01-2008, 10:42   #11

Additionally I know of a Marples 40 or 44 that is a project in the Ventura/Oxnard area of SoCaL. It comes with a container full of tools and parts. The Marples have very sweet lines and sail very well. If you want I will see if I can find the contact info for that boat.
sarge
Old 31-01-2008, 10:51   #12

The owner of the Marples is extremely anxious to sell. The boat when I last saw her had the main hulls and amas completed, Probably needs about a man year of labor to complete.
There is a Horstman out here in Hawaii I think they want 25 thou for it at the moment. It was just 12 last spring before the brokers got involved. It is need of a complete rebuilt. Looked to be structurally sound. Diesel works but all systems, interior rigging sails etc needs to be redone. Mast is wood and may or may not be salvageable. I would go with and aluminum spar just for the weight saving.
sarge
Old 31-01-2008, 12:46   #13

Boat: 1996 PDQ 36
PDQ stuff

JCF,

Send me a PM about the PDQ 36. I've had one for a few years and have a pretty good knowledge of them. Just way too much to talk about in a single post.
chicagocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 17:09   #14
JCF

Hello Sarge,

Thanks for looking around and pointing them out. Right now I'm trying to get hands on feedback on the different designs. I also have looked around a bit and found some designs that look really practical.

I am really beginning to appreciate the open wing trimarans. I was looking around and found this.

1996 Custom Skyhook trimaran Boat For Sale

Any words on open wing trimarans? What about those swing/folding wings like the Farriers and Dragonfly? Nice for berthing?

J
Old 31-01-2008, 17:33   #15
JCF

Marples,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Horse View Post
Additionally I know of a Marples 40 or 44 that is a project in the Ventura/Oxnard area of SoCaL. It comes with a container full of tools and parts. The Marples have very sweet lines and sail very well. If you want I will see if I can find the contact info for that boat.
sarge
Sarge,

I think I know which it is that you're talking about. I might have seen it on World Cruising. I do'nt remember too much about it. I think the Marples are like you said...very sweet. I really like the lines.

The problem is that I would never be able to complete the project because of distance...unless I can find a trustworthy shipwright to complete the work over there.

If it isn't too much trouble and you can get more information, maybe pictures, that would be great. I'm leaving all options open during my search for information just in case if something extraordinary jumps out at me. I'm not looking to purchase right now, but I am able to do so if something does become available.

Thanks
J

Tags
retirement