Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 08:39   #1

Boat: Summer Twins 25
Prout Snowgoose Elite 37 HELP!

Hi i have finally taken the plunge after 20 years of talking about it and purchased a Catamaran hull and deck Prout Elite year 1990.
The story goes it was purchased in 1990 as a selfbuild and has sat in the yard ever since due to some unforseen circumstances. It has never been in the water and i think it is a worthy project as i would never be able to purchase a fully finished one but can afford to do it bit by bit and would like to know the boat inside out for future cruising.
The Prout is currently situated in Dauntless boat yard Essex and i hope to bring it down to Cornwall Summer 2014 and start work on it in Gweek boatyard although i am open for suggestions if anyone knows a better yard here?
I plan to sail it around the world in 6 years time and want to have it ready to go buy then.
I have never worked on any boat or catamaran before and to be frank no nothing about them although im not bad at woodwork and i am keen to learn.
So i thought i would join this forum and try and try and get some advice on what im going to need to buy and where to source it from.
Also the best way to get it down to Cornwall.

Where to start? Inside or out? What engine to buy? Twin or single? Size of mast etc etc.

I have had a look arond on the net but can not find much info so would be very gratefull for any help i can get.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:06   #2

Boat: Seaward 22
Re: Prout Snowgoose Elite 37 HELP!

I would research the factory completed vessels and match what they did for engines, rig, etc. Most likely they had it figured out.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:40   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Congratulations. Great boat. Going on a Snowgoose Elite at a boat show was what turned me on to cats many years ago. I hope everything works out for you. You are taking on a big job!

Just one tip... Whenever you add something to the boat, think about how you are going to get at it to maintain it or, even worse, replace it.

As for getting it to Cornwall... A Snowgoose Elite isn't too wide so getting it on a lorry will be easy. I don't know any specific hauliers to recommend but try asking on YBW. Far more Brits on there that can help. Also try the Prout Owners Association http://www.michaelbriant.com/prout_o...ssociation.htm

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:36   #4

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat

A great boat to sail the oceans! But a big project lies ahead of you.

Not sure why you chose Gweek? - unless you live close by. My choice in the west of the UK for such a project would be Millbrook. There is a lot of local multihull experience there from at least three professional multihull boatbuilders I know of plus the supply city of Plymouth is close at hand.

You can store the boat at the Multihull Centre The Multihull Centre at reasonable costs and work on the boat yourself. Even staying on the premises in a caravan is possible.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:55   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmclaren1 View Post
Hi i have finally taken the plunge after 20 years of talking about it and purchased a Catamaran hull and deck Prout Elite year 1990.
The story goes it was purchased in 1990 as a selfbuild and has sat in the yard ever since due to some unforseen circumstances. It has never been in the water and i think it is a worthy project as i would never be able to purchase a fully finished one but can afford to do it bit by bit and would like to know the boat inside out for future cruising.
The Prout is currently situated in Dauntless boat yard Essex and i hope to bring it down to Cornwall Summer 2014 and start work on it in Gweek boatyard although i am open for suggestions if anyone knows a better yard here?
I plan to sail it around the world in 6 years time and want to have it ready to go buy then.
I have never worked on any boat or catamaran before and to be frank no nothing about them although im not bad at woodwork and i am keen to learn.
So i thought i would join this forum and try and try and get some advice on what im going to need to buy and where to source it from.
Also the best way to get it down to Cornwall.

Where to start? Inside or out? What engine to buy? Twin or single? Size of mast etc etc.

I have had a look arond on the net but can not find much info so would be very gratefull for any help i can get.

i live about 7 miles from gweek,and you aint gonna get it there by road!

best bet is to put 2 outboards on the back and motor it down.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 14:17   #6

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Thank you all gor getting back to me. The Multihull Center, Milbrook is a great idea. If i cant get the help i need there then i dont no where im going to get it.
They even have a couple for sale there.
Im looking forward to getting started.
philipmclaren1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:49   #7

Location: On dry land at the moment...and looking to rectify that!
Boat: Currently in the market for a new (to us) boat

Hi Philip,

We just purchased a 1984 Prout Snowgoose... not as much of a project boat as yours, but still a project boat! We have a lot of interior work to redo...the former owner got ill, and left the boat sitting on the hard for three years...unfortunately with some hatches open, and unfinished topside projects that contributed to water getting (and staying) inside the cabin. We are in the U.S. (tho' used to live in the UK), so cannot offer advice on UK shipyards, etc, but are eager to read about your progress! We are hoping to start a blog chronicling our refit of her (and our eventual cruising!). If/when we do, we'll let you know, so that hopefully we can pass along some advice/ideas!

Best of luck.

Cheers,
S/V Octopussy
Octopussy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 14:47   #8

Boat: Prout Snowgoose Elite

Hi Phillip.
I have a Snowgoose Elete in cardiff and can suggest a number of things.
you need to get the mast right. Aft mast cutter rig is standard. the single engine Yanmar 3XX with 30 to 40 Hp is plenty with the steerable leg.
I bought in millbrooke and they have lots of people with experiance there and good access to work. if you work slow and carefully thinking how do i replace this then your design should be maintanable.
lots of stuff on ebay.
keep it simple and light and they can be surprizingly fast.
copper cote(or simmilar ) will repay its self in saved time and haulage.
put wooden sacrificial boots on the keels,
make your systems simple and rugged.
leaking windows can be a pain when the hull flexes.

lots more ideas but then I go crazy with solar cells, leds etc.
limejucer is offline   Reply With Quote