Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2010, 19:53   #1
Marine Service Provider

Potential New Multihull Owner - Couple of Questions

Hi everyone,

Long time reader, first time poster in Australia.

I've come across a vessel. Mid 90's Fontaine Tobago 35 at the right price, or at least what I believe to be the right price.

I'm pretty much sold on the galley up and all of the features that this boat has.

I'm interested in performance amongst other things.

What kind of speeds could you expect say in a 15 knot wind? I've been on a 10m Seawind and seen 5.5 knots in 12 knots easily close hauled but was told the FP's are a bit of a slug in comparison....

Has anyone had success with "loaning" their boat to others on a per day cost type basis to friends an colleagues? I see charter boats getting a minimum of $700+ It would only take a couple of weeks a year on one of these arrangements at even less than half that price to make the boat far more affordable. I want to not have to sell the house and this boat is achievable in that regard.

Who polices "chartering" to friends in Australia? I mean, with an aircraft for example, you need it to be a commercial operation of sorts, but who polices boats here? Do you get caught and go to jail like in aircraft circles?

Finally, I'm being warned over and over about things going wrong with the boat. What might be a guestimate figure per month or per-annum on what i might expect to have to shell out assuming it's supposedly in very good order with everything working? (I know I know how long is a piece of string...)

B
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 02:31   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Hi ausavaitor, We would be pleased to take you out on an FP Orana if you are able to come to Port Hacking on the south side of Sydney, please drop us a line.

Regards Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 03:05   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Ausavaitor,

We had one Tobogo in our fleet. She's not anymore in the fleet but still in our marina and being serviced by our team. To compare with yr price, the boat is now for sale and the owner is asking for about 120.000 €. (the boat is excellent shape, with a lot of extra, ie. furling spi, extra set of sail, teak in the cockpit, full electronics, etc)
I am not sure but she must be from 97 or 98..

Tobogo is one one the fastest within FP range and in overall it's a very nice boat. If you are happy with her volume and you can fit in, there is nothing to worry about her quality and sailing abilities.

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 04:30   #4
Marine Service Provider

Hi and thanks. Have you got a link for her, the one that's for sale?

Thanks to all those that have PM'ed particularly the offer in Sydney, much appreciated.

Things have changed in a very short space of time and I may not be able to secure her as the finances didn't align in the required timeframe.

I'll still be on the lookout for a decent vessel in my price-range though.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull