Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 10:45   #16

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Parasailor trimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Hi Monte,

Sailed the Caledonian together with Careka. We used the 47 m2 gennaker + main and tacked downwind. where Careka used his 105 m2 PS: Blog here: Lagoon 380 Careka: 10.7.2014 Videre til Fort Augustus We were slightly faster - but our L380 is also lighter (loaded) than Careka.
Slightly faster......

if you want more speed Monte you need a bigger one,
i sail it the same way as Rubikoop did, and we do get good speed on low winds, so fare we have not tryed it above 15app, as we then do good speed on normal setup. the 380 can have 89m2 and the bigger 105 m2 we went for the bigger one, so we get good speeds when low winds, we have the genakker also,

here is the one in low winds,
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
Here: Sailing downwind in Loch Ness: True Wind 10,7 knots at 160dgr true, boatspeed 6,1 knots. Mainsail + gennaker (47m2 = 505 sq ft). Gennaker tacked on windward bow.
Lars you have main sail 54 m2 + genakker 47 m2.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:02   #18

Re: Parasailor Trimming

have a look at this also Monte, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...6&d=1409604178

we normaly sail it without using the main, if you do use the main, have 2 reefs in it, so it does not steal to much from the parasailor.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:10   #19

This 400 looks like has a smal one,

and looks like 3 reefs in the main, but he is not getting much power from it.
And this is not the Parasailor, its a copycat called Wingaker.
Dont know what this is made out of.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:06   #20
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks careka. Yes I was taking a look at your video the other day. It is nice to sail at 5-6 k in lighter winds with the parasailor. Very relaxing ride. Jen didn't like van Morrison though
The parasailor rep told me the parasailor basically pulls you sideways when you are off the wind, so it's not that good around 90 degrees apparent. What do you think it's useful down to..130 degrees?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 13:26   #21

well it works from 100deg port over to 100 stb. but it runs very well from 120-130 ,port to stb. but we normaly only use it when between 150-180-150 on higer angels we use the genakker.
But many cats have sailed over the Atlantic just using the parasailor, and it gives you and easy sailhandling and good speed.
Old 02-09-2014, 14:32   #22

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Parasailor Trimming

The majority of the 38 boats in the World ARC crossing from the Galapagos to the Marquesas were using Para Sailors.

Careka I just watched your video. It looks like your forward blocks are located where they can cause a lot of chafe. Maybe it's an optical illusion from the camera you were using. The cats that I saw using downwind sails had the blocks mounted at the very forward tip of the hulls. Nice video by the way. If I followed that correctly you were making 6kts nearly DDW in about 15kts true, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 15:06   #23

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

All god suggestions regarding trimming the Parasailor.

Without the main, it is the only sail I am allowed to keep up during night crossings for my wife on her watches. It is just so tame, except when you have a lots of wind. But up to 20 true she just loves it.
We blew two mast fittings after about 72 hours of constant flying the Parasailor during our Atlantic crossing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mastfitting.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	87569

We had the Parasailor flying from two halyards in winds up to 33 knots true doing 200+ miles every 24 hours. We now have a beefed-up mast fitting just for the Parasailor.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 17:39   #24

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Hey Barra, thanks for the reply and details. I will definitely try your recommendations. I found it strange that it seems a bit slower DDW than a bit off the wind, considering the dynamics of it basically being a big kite pulling you downwind. I would have thought less hull resistance = more speed but it doesn't seem to be the case. I'll experiment a bit. Maybe tacking downwind, even 170 degree tacks would improve passage speeds. Keep in touch mate, come for a sail anytime you like. Hopefully we will be finding some waves along the way
I could be wrong but the hull resistance is less of an issue than the better apparent wind as you move away from DDW especially at the lower wind speeds- provided you trim correctly for it. Higher winds then DDW may be more comfortable due to sea state and not that much slower.

We havn't flown this sail over 15 apparent which was equating to around 26 knots tws for us and that was plenty (sail , rigging etc seemed fine but you do start to worry about take downs as a couple if it were to go up a few more knots) I sure wouldnt be planning on going any higher than that.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 19:37   #25

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roetter View Post
All god suggestions regarding trimming the Parasailor.

Without the main, it is the only sail I am allowed to keep up during night crossings for my wife on her watches. It is just so tame, except when you have a lots of wind. But up to 20 true she just loves it.
We blew two mast fittings after about 72 hours of constant flying the Parasailor during our Atlantic crossing.

Attachment 87569

We had the Parasailor flying from two halyards in winds up to 33 knots true doing 200+ miles every 24 hours. We now have a beefed-up mast fitting just for the Parasailor.
Roetter

You are not alone. We blew a Selden spinnaker halyard lead fitting while flying the Parasailor on the way to the Marquesas.

The dormant structural engineer me has concluded that the spinnaker fittings in several cruising cats that I have seen were not really designed for spinnaker loads on a cat (bigger because heeling does not mitigate peak loads) let alone Parasailor loads, which can be bigger because this sail is kept up on stronger winds than a normal spi and also because the PS pulls up quite a bit at times.

Fair winds

Charlie

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:26   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Parasailor Trimming

Thanks for all the good advice. We had a nice downwind sail yesterday under the parasailor and put most of the recommendations to use. Easing the windward sheet and leeward guy let the parasailor find it's sweet spot a bit better and meant adjustments were a bit easier to figure out than having to adjust 4 lines. Also it meant the parasailor could fly more to leeward without worrying about the windward sheet touching the forestay. Still a work in progress but getting there!
Thanks again
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:44   #27

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch

Glad you're seeing better results.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, sail