Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 16:44   #1

Open Bridge Deck Designs

I've learned a great deal the last few days readiing and asking on this site and I'd like to thank everyone for their insight and input.

I've put open bridge deck into every search on every sire and gotten very few hit. Anyone with some model examples or sites with info they can share I would really appreciate it.

Here's an old ad I found and a photo of a different boat so you know what I'm looking for. Thanks

Used shuttleworth tech 35 catamaran for sale - Cats Away
rdbeales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 16:51   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You might want to check out some of the older Edel Cat 35s. Another option is the Maine Cat 30.

I don't know if this is related to your other threads, but if this is for a boat that you and your brother intend to cruise with down into the tropics, you're going to need some overhead protection anyway. The Maine Cats are a great combination of open bridgedeck, sun protection, speed and ease of handling.

Maine Cat: Home of the 30', 41' sailing catamarans, the new P-38 powered catamaran and bareboat Bahamas charters

TaoJones
Old 09-08-2007, 17:08   #3
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Now I'm really confused. In the other thread you were heading for Hawaii and in this one you want a day sailer?
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 17:15   #4

Sorry, you're right. THe longer range cruising is so far away that we both agreed we should think caribbean and east coast with this purchase so we can get it and use it now, and in several years if we need to we'll upgrade. I guess we were getting ahead of ourselves, so this is the more realistic approach to sailing sooner than later.
Old 09-08-2007, 17:17   #5

a bimini top is much cheaper and lighter than a full hard top, and can be put up and taken down as needed, sailing to windward, or whatever, so we thought it would be a good idea to get rid of the hard top
Old 09-08-2007, 17:23   #6

Boat: OP's boats! Charter big cats and race big monos!
I have seen these Voyage day sailors n the BVI's, they are fast even when fully loaded with 40+ peeps!
VOYAGE yachts - VOYAGE 450 Day Cruiser
Saildoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 17:25   #7

THanks for the model suggestions, I like the Edel 33 and 35, Gonna have to look ahrder for one in the US. THanks again!
Old 09-08-2007, 17:45   #8
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

MacGregor used to make a 36' open bridgedeck cat. You see them pop up from time to time on YachtWorld.com, but there aren't any there at the moment.

If you are rejecting the Maine Cat 30 out-of-hand because of the fixed hardtop, you would be doing yourself a favor by reconsidering. Among other things to think about is the fact that you can put up the removable front "windows" and have a cozy sunroom, even if conditions are less than ideal. In fact, the entire cockpit can be enclosed with removable acrylic and canvas "walls." Another benefit of the hardtop is that it provides the structure for mounting solar panels.

You might also consider speaking with Dick Vermeulen, the designer of the MC30 (and 41, and Powercat), as well as the owner of Maine Cat. If nothing else, he's already thought of everything you're now pondering, engineered a sensible solution, and built a company around his concept. I think that talking with someone of his caliber will help you to sharpen your focus.

TaoJones
Old 09-08-2007, 18:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
No longer in production but how about a Stilleto 30 or MacGregor 36, both open bridge deck cats. The Stilleto would be fast barebones cruising but what a great looking cat. I know of one Mac 36 slightly modified that crossed the Atlantic. Then there is the most affordable of open bridgedeck cats, the designs from James Wharram. Not everyones cup of tea and not the fastest of cats but very seaworthy and found in harbors all over the world. I think the Edel's came in two versions , open brigedeck and bridgedeck cabin. The Shuttleworth cats would be great if your budget allows. The high tech materials and design make them expensive. You have only mentioned cats but there is that "other " multihull too. The trimaran will generally have a little better performance, especially in light air, interior size may be equal or better compared to an open bridgedeck cat, but smaller than the bridgedeck cat. It will handle and feel more like a monohull than the cat which may have more appeal to your brother.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 19:56   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rust
No longer in production but how about a Stilleto 30 or MacGregor 36, both open bridge deck cats. . .The Stilleto would be fast barebones cruising but what a great looking cat. . .I think the Edel's came in two versions , open brigedeck and bridgedeck cabin.
You're right about the Edel Cat being offered in either bridgedeck cabin or open bridgedeck, Steve. I had thought about the Stiletto, too, but rdb had said he and his brother wanted to live aboard for months at a time, so that would be asking a lot from a Stiletto.

By the time you're down to considering a Stiletto, you're almost to the point of cruising on a glorified beach cat. Not that it can't be done - I know people who have cruised Baja with a Hobie Miracle 20, though they did tow it down there, as well as between different cruising areas. Not a bad concept, really, but difficult to pull off in the Bahamas.

TaoJones
Old 09-08-2007, 20:07   #11

A good compromise -

Great Barrier Express catamaran built in Queensland
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 22:32   #12

Most owners that have hardtops, will tell you that it is one of their favorite features. Just being able to stand on it, to furl the mainsail makes it worth it.
Marc
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 22:47   #13

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Never liked the new GBE, the original was good, the ones with the cantilevered cabin was better, but the new ones are no where near as good IMHO.

The shuttleworth is a beughty and very similar to my last cat.

A few sheet's of foam and cut out the cabin sides (inboard) and hey presto, a sitting height enclosed bridgedeck with a queen size bed, with no loss of performance.

A couple of the pic's are at New Caledonia [Port Moselle Marina and Amadee Lighthouse] , so more than capable of ocean hop's.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	042_42.JPG
Views:	663
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	1637   Click image for larger version

Name:	041_41.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	1638  

Name:	043_43.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	340.8 KB
ID:	1639   Click image for larger version

Name:	028_28.JPG
Views:	528
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	1640  

Name:	027_27.JPG
Views:	1002
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	1641  
Old 09-08-2007, 23:47   #14

Boat: now floating easy37
kurt hughes has a nice 44 fter
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 23:19   #15

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
Most owners that have hardtops, will tell you that it is one of their favorite features. Just being able to stand on it, to furl the mainsail makes it worth it.
Marc
Flake the mainsail maybe????

These day's most cat's have lazyjack's(brought or made up) and we had a zip up boom cover.( see pic)

Fire the halyard, sail comes down neat and flaked in second's, zip up bag, pour a rum.

Dave