Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
I think it would only be fair to put up links of other cruisers forum if they do the same for you .. Gideon
The exchange of links (sometimes known as reciprocal or mutual linking) between websites may be seen as an opportunity to offer each others services or content to their website users; but actually represents free advertising.

In this case, we would advertise the “new site” site to our 13,000+ members, and they would advertise ours to their 20 members.
Doesn’t sound like a fair (nor smart) trade, to me.

We would be offering traffic an easy way to leave our site; but leaving our site is exactly what we don’t want our visitors to do! Each link we provide to someone else’s site, is actually helping them increase their own traffic and revenue - but it doesn’t do a thing for our site, when traffic leaves our own pages. Our advertisers pay for our traffic.

If a site is worth linking to, it won't have to rely as much on swapping links as a promotion strategy. Give your site an advantage by giving people a reason to link to it - a helpful tool, a guide or tutorial, or some other useful content that people will feel good about recommending on their site.

Search Engine Optiimisation (SEO):

The best way to get people to link to your site is to provide valuable & useful content.

Forums are another option, but don't go round posting random posts like 'visit my wonderful new site at my.com'. This is usually considered very impolite - spamming... Some forums will allow you to link to your site in your signature. If you have useful content on your site, you could link to it in a relevant discussion on another forum - e.g. if someone posts asking for information on a technique that you've used, you could post a link to that site as part of your answer.

There are three main aspects to SEO.
1. Start with your code: you need to optimize your code to make it easy for the search engine to see what your page is about.
2. Next you need content: make your site worth linking to, and finally:
3. Get people linking to you!

Old 06-06-2008, 13:01   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have said this in the past and not sure where. But this place is not about the boats, it's about the people. This is primarily a Cruisers Forum which is why it is called that. What is cruising all about? people that take journeys in boats. The topics are secondary. Yes they are important and are what make the place what it is, but they are secondary. This forum is different to all other fourms for that one reason. Even the new Multi hull place is specific to boats. It's the other way around for them. The people are secondary, just as important and valued as anyone here is, but secondary to what the forum is all about.
See, I think much of the issue we have herein this CF multi forum is, the members here have not understood that. A goo percentage of you members are manufacturers for a start. I have no problem with that but Your motivation for being here and participating here is diferent and I have to say, the motivation for wanting links to here and other sites are the same. It is networking. No harm in that either, but the issues then arise because you all think this Forum is about the Boat. It is not about the boat.
I don't visit any other site. I may browse over one every now and then just to see what the places are like. But I have never regularly lurked let alone joined another site. Why?? because I love the people here. I have made some awesome friends both here in NZ and all over the world. I have had a close friend of mine here meet a close friend of mine via this site in Moss landing USA. Very cool. I have learnt so much here, but the big thing for me is that I am getting to know other like minded Cruisers from all over the world. That is what it is all about and what this site is ll about. Boats are just a conversation topic and is secondary.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Old 06-06-2008, 13:09   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
I can only state my opinion no more or less

I will put both these sites as links on my website since they will offer interesting food for thought. The Multihull forum still has to prove itself and the Cruisers forum has since long proven herself ( is a forum a her or a his :-)

I wish both the best and think there is a place for both.

Greetings and have a good sail this weekend

Gideon
Old 06-06-2008, 13:23   #19
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Guys, I think we need to listen to the members. On most of the other SK forums we have a link section. I can install this here and we have an area to other forums that our members would find to be helpful. I see no issues with that!

Mod team, please let this issue rest. We can all dissect each other comments and it does no good for our spirits or the community. If there are sailors here who are unhappy with our management then they will find another place to call home. Please respect our team and the way we do things. If you can't then please do not bring down the attitude of our community with consistent negative vibes.

I am closing this thread, it's run it course.
Closed Thread

Tags
multihull