Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 16:53   #16

Boat: Nautitech Open 46
Re: Nautitech build quality

I own a 46 open. She in Charter with TMM.
Had no major problems with the boat. We have the small self tacking jib plus the 98 sq M Geneker. Which we use for all but tight upwind work

She faster than similar sized lagoons we have raced a few but with our sail area we would expect to be.

Regards
Paul
Steel sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 17:16   #17

Boat: A55

I’m sure Paul can give you a definitive answer but I’m pretty sure the 46 Open has cable steering rather than hydraulic. Would very much be my preference.

From my experience boat, I’d also strongly suggest a spinnaker and, given the smaller headsail, a code zero/screecher. If you get a code zero, then I’d probably go symmetrical spinnaker rather than an assym as the code zero would have you covered for reachier angles and the symmetrical is so easy to fly off either bows and gybing it is so easy.
Chrisatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 19:13   #18

A bit of thread drift but expecting new sails from North later this month.
A code 55 for upwind work maybe through 100 degree and 160. Sq M G1 for offwind in a sock.

The steering is cable not hydraulic

I have engine controls at both helms. I’m still not 100% convinced on the helm position but I dislike the fly ridge arrangement of most charter cars.
You give up a lot of sail area. Seperate the helmsman from the rest of the boat, difficult to get out of the weather, the not so easy to stow the mainsail etc.

Regards
Paul
Old 02-04-2023, 19:30   #19

Thanks Paul! Good to know.
Wpg3ut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 19:34   #20

Thank you Chris!
Old 02-04-2023, 20:05   #21

I looked hard at the Nautitech 46 but went with a Leopard 50. It’s a surprisingly fast boat. Waterline length can do more for speed than small design differences.

Whatever you get, if you care about sailing install folding/feathering props, dyneema halyards, triradial sails cut from a performance cloth and a good off wind sail - mine is an Oxley Levante parasail. Most charter cats are slow because no one ever tried to make them sail well.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 00:58   #22

Back to the thread subject, I am strongly interested in Nautitech 44 open, 46 open or the new 48 open due to the way they are designed. However, I must say that there are a good number of YouTube reviews (of charter boats to be fare) which are pretty nasty on the quality build, coupled with dedicated Facebook groups with even worse feedbacks ... I desperately would like to feel comfortable with the quality of Nautitech but reading those feedbacks ...
Giova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:09   #23

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

I own a 2004 Nautitech 40 (previous generation). There are some similarities with the new generation, particularly the helm positions of course. I assumed that the Bavaria take-over would have improved quality, or at least quality control (consistency) so I'm surprised to hear that there have been complaints.

I remember being amused, more than shocked, by the doors and door frames which are designed with massive clearance between door and frame, presumably to avoid any need for precision fitting and also to avoid any need to recess the hinges into the frame. It's an economy that you barely notice until the time comes to change the hinges - which are not stainless..

Aside from such niggles, I've been very pleased with the boat which will soon be 20 years old. I have built a forward facing nav station in the cabin, with duplicate autopilot control (but not engine controls) and this helps alot when it is too hot or too wet on the helm(s). From what I know of the new models, the standard internal layout includes a sideways facing nav position. The first modification I would make would be to make this facing forwards.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 03:51   #24

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post
I own a 2004 Nautitech 40 (previous generation). There are some similarities with the new generation, particularly the helm positions of course. I assumed that the Bavaria take-over would have improved quality, or at least quality control (consistency) so I'm surprised to hear that there have been complaints.

I remember being amused, more than shocked, by the doors and door frames which are designed with massive clearance between door and frame, presumably to avoid any need for precision fitting and also to avoid any need to recess the hinges into the frame. It's an economy that you barely notice until the time comes to change the hinges - which are not stainless..

Aside from such niggles, I've been very pleased with the boat which will soon be 20 years old. I have built a forward facing nav station in the cabin, with duplicate autopilot control (but not engine controls) and this helps alot when it is too hot or too wet on the helm(s). From what I know of the new models, the standard internal layout includes a sideways facing nav position. The first modification I would make would be to make this facing forwards.
Could you please share some pictures if your interior mods?
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:11   #25

Thanks Giova. I haven't seen the Facebook comments, can you send a link? I think what Chris says is a pretty good testament to the overall quality of the Nautitech's build quality. 20 years is a long time.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:14   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris in SG View Post

Thank you Chris, finally some "Nautitech guys" being active in the forum.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:16   #27

There is a Nautitech owners group on Facebook. I don’t see many quality complaints there though. Lots of technical questions and people sharing upgrades and repairs.
Not sure if you have to be an owner to join. Suggest you let the mods know you are interested in buying one and ask to join.

Regards
Paul
Old 04-04-2023, 06:19   #28

Thanks Chris, glad you're still happy with your purchase 20 years later. In the newer versions they have changed the nav station to forward facing. That is my biggest gripe with this line. Why would you place the Nav station anywhere other but forward facing? I would love to see pictures of your mods if you can. I plan on doing the same. I will probably re do the whole salon. I am a builder/developer so I have to tweak most things.
wpg3ut@gamail.com
Old 04-04-2023, 06:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg3ut View Post
Thanks Giova. I haven't seen the Facebook comments, can you send a link? I think what Chris says is a pretty good testament to the overall quality of the Nautitech's build quality. 20 years is a long time.
Hi Wpg3ut,
You're absolutely right. After posting the message I searched FB to provide the links but it seems the group has been cancelled. The owner of the group was extremely upset posting "unpolite" messages with pictures of the build quality in the bulkheads and the chainplate ... but I cannot find it anymore. For the YT videos, you can search the forum for Nautitech and there are some threads about them and more discussions on Nautitech quality so I suggest you to read them. Again, hard to say if this criticism have grounds to reality. What concerns me is that while it is unusual to find people complaining about their own boat since they have to resell it, on Nautitech there are actually a few open complains. In fact it is not that easy to find any evidence on most cats even though we all know of particular serious problems. So, seeing owners being so annoyed by their own vessel leaves me with lots of doubts. And again, I would be more than happy to have positive feedbacks because I really like the concept of the Nautitech Open cats.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:34   #30

Actually the side facing NAV works well for me on watch. There is a nice comfortable couch to lay out on and it’s easy to,see all the Nav data or radar from that position. Same if sitting inside on the salon couch.
Get up every 10 minutes or so have a quick look around and back to a comfy position

Regards

Paul