Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2012, 15:09   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
Multihull Handling in Emergencies

I'm new to multihulls and would like some advice on boat handling in emergencies.

The quick-stop maneuver is typically recommended for a man overboard situation. I'm interested in how it should be conducted in a multihull when going downwind, particularly at higher wind speeds.

Another maneuver is reefing. There was a recent article in MultiHull Worlds about reefing while going downwind, which seemed to work for us. What is the general feeling about reefing while going downwind vs turning head-to-wind?

Are there any other maneuvers in a multihull that warrant caution?

Thanks!
sailor1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 15:28   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Re: Multihull handling in emergencies

I strongly advise buying this , reading it and learning it

https://www.oz-e.com.au/multihullbooks/seaman.html
Old 24-03-2012, 21:05   #3

Boat: Seawind 1160, 38 foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Mick C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1026
I'm new to multihulls and would like some advice on boat handling in emergencies.

The quick-stop maneuver is typically recommended for a man overboard situation. I'm interested in how it should be conducted in a multihull when going downwind, particularly at higher wind speeds.

Another maneuver is reefing. There was a recent article in MultiHull Worlds about reefing while going downwind, which seemed to work for us. What is the general feeling about reefing while going downwind vs turning head-to-wind?

Thanks!
and then get involved on a crewed boat and learn from experience before you do it on your own!
Old 24-03-2012, 21:25   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Multihull handling in emergencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor1026 View Post

Thanks!
We've read the book recommended by cat man do (good recomendation) and other books, videos etc. etc.

I think one needs to practice and try out different techniques to see what best works for you and your boat.

Personally I reef while going downwind because I hate bouncing all over the show as the bow comes up into the wind. On our boat, we do this in 'step by step stages' (ie. Main halyard out a bit, reef in a bit, main halyard out some more, reef in some more etc. as we do not want too much of the main sail against the stays (risk of broken battens, wear on the cloth etc.).
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2012, 23:39   #5

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
Great book, met the author in Vanuatu and he was kind enough to show me over his boat a Catana 39 from memory,rely knows his stuff.
The one thing he fought me was the value of back up systems that when something fails you can just plug in the other and off you go.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 11:49   #6

Boat: Prout 50 Quasar 1980
Send a message via Skype™ to tolly
Thumbs up Re: Multihull handling in emergencies

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I strongly advise buying this , reading it and learning it

https://www.oz-e.com.au/multihullbooks/seaman.html
Thanks for the tip, I just ordered it from Amazon.com. I'm looking forward to educate myself in the experiences of handling a cat in various situations.
Old 27-03-2012, 15:15   #7

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Re: Multihull Handling in Emergencies

Quote:

Thanks!
For trimarans, the book you want is the Case for the Cruising Trimaran, by Jim Brown. One of things it does well is address what happens when really bad stuff happens. In other words, it isn't just do this and everything will be fine, which it may be. But there are times where people do things massively wrong ... and you can learn from them too.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 10:01   #8
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
...Another maneuver is reefing. There was a recent article in MultiHull Worlds about reefing while going downwind, which seemed to work for us. What is the general feeling about reefing while going downwind vs turning head-to-wind?

Thanks!
I'm not real sure what you're asking here. The mantra with cruising catamarans is to REEF EARLY. I believe all cruising catamarans built in the last 25 years were equipped with furling headsails, however slab reefing on the main may have been an option on some boats.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:17   #9

Boat: Leopard 40

The scenario is that we'll be traveling from Tortola to Florida, so we'll be reaching or running downwind. We plan to douse the spinnaker and reef before dark. One of our crew has only done reefing head-to-wind on monohulls. We did several evolutions of reefing downwind and started to work out the kinks in the process.

My concern with the MOB maneuver is running at good boat speed and needing to stop the boat quickly. I don't want her to trip over a bow or the leward hull. I've ordered the Multiull Seamanship book. Thanks for the tip.
sailor1026 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
multihull