Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2014, 20:04   #76

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Mono vs Multi!

As a three-year-out future cat owner, I gotta say that I always learn a great deal from Tomfl. Appreciate your effort to share experience with all of us.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 22:42   #77
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
This is the problem with surfing the internet rather than serious investigation.

Basically, these prices are bogus. Outremer starts at a base price that includes nothing. Add at least 50% if you want a base level boat and 100% if you want the absolute performance model (carbon bulkheads, rotating carbon mast/boom, hydronet sails etc.

On the other hand you could get a well equipped Sense for around $600K.

In short for base level versions the O45 would be about 50% more than the Sense.

I repeat that I am not interested in a monohull and I will more than likely buy an Outremer, but the facts are that a good multi is and always will be considerably more expensive than a good mono. If you believe in the advantages of a multi over a mono then you will have to pay a significant amount for it.
There you have it. In reality the cat is probably much more expensive than what I originally thought. Like I said, you pay more for a premium product. Nothing wrong with that. At least in this case the Outremer really is a premium product.

I will probably be buying a cat soon too. I wish an outremer was on my list! Most probably I will be buying a project boat as I cant afford the size and style I want in good condition.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:03   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
To me it is not so much a question of which is better a mono or a multi; rather which one suits your needs better.
And this is probably one and only honest and sound summary of this all multi vs. mono (or opposite) discussions
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:57   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Most probably I will be buying a project boat as I cant afford the size and style I want in good condition.
Old forum saying;

"The most expensive boat is a cheap boat"

Save longer !
Unless you REALLY enjoy the process of spending more money and time than the boat is worth.
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:07   #80
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5

Quote:
Old forum saying
If I listened to too many forum sayings I would be like most forum posters. Thats is internet sailors who never actually do anything or sail anywhere. Plus I actually like working on boats
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:18   #81

Guess my half a lifetime building and repairing yachts doesn't count then.
Best of luck to you.
And fair winds as they say.
Pmsl
Redreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:22   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Old forum saying;

Save longer !
Unless you REALLY enjoy the process of spending more money and time than the boat is worth.

Without either seeing the boat or it's price, you just know this?
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:54   #83

Boat: Shuttlecat 32

Full load, 60% of wind below 15, 95% tacks
Daysail load 70% of wind bellow 15, 85% tacks

Biggest issue I have is remembering to put the board fully down, and honestly I just chose another destination if it is going to be a upwind slugfest. Not sure how many people really enjoy it except to prove the multi vs mono argument.
Old 03-02-2014, 13:22   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Without either seeing the boat or it's price, you just know this?
Since when has the internet required logic.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:40   #85

I don't see any issue if a boat of any sort can't go to windward and as others have said if your Island hopping just choose to go somewhere else. There are monos that go upwind like a straw bale too but if your sailing offshore for long distances then odds are that your going to get lots of light air and windward work. Unless you carry really large quantities of fuel you'll sure miss a boat that can really sail.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:56   #86

I am preparing to write the ASA 114 exam. This thread has some useful information.

Thanks
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:33   #87

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Fidji, 42

I learned to sail on monohulls in Puget Sound waters back in the '70s. When I retired from Boeing in '94 I bought a cat because it they were the largest boats I could sail by myself. Ended up with a Fountaine Pajot 39 that I stretched to 42 ft by adding step transoms. Now twenty years later, if I had to do it all over again I would buy the same boat. It has the economy of a sailboat, the comfort of a powerboat, and is now for sale on this site.
Caribsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:55   #88

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

I love this discussion. As "newbie" I find it very educational. I'm also doing a lot of comparisons and pricings. And, (gasp!!) I've actually recently looked at a few mono-hulls.

Some of the newer ones are BEAUTIFUL... much bigger, brighter... less like a cave. With a lot of wonderful features. Many of them are much cheaper than a multihull.. and for someone like my husband and I.. with no children.. and not many guests.. it does seem like a better use of "below deck" space. (multi's use up so much space for cabins which we would never use)... As far as the actual deck space? I'm always disappointed with the monohulls, because they usually have tiny cockpits.. and not much deck space. Where as the multihulls, have larger cockpits..(often covered) they have the forward area where you can sit... the tramps where you can lay and watch the water.. Also, some of them.. (Lagoon 450) also have a forward cockpit as well as a fly bridge with TONS of seating up there... just more outside space...

We are planning on sailing plenty of both (mono and multi) before we make our final decision. But regardless... we will choose our budget first... then find the boat that best meets our needs, and is well built, and maintained...

Anyway... that's the musings of a boat virgin..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 16:09   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I love this discussion. As "newbie" I find it very educational. I'm also doing a lot of comparisons and pricings. And, (gasp!!) I've actually recently looked at a few mono-hulls.

Some of the newer ones are BEAUTIFUL... much bigger, brighter... less like a cave. With a lot of wonderful features. Many of them are much cheaper than a multihull.. and for someone like my husband and I.. with no children.. and not many guests.. it does seem like a better use of "below deck" space. (multi's use up so much space for cabins which we would never use)... As far as the actual deck space? I'm always disappointed with the monohulls, because they usually have tiny cockpits.. and not much deck space. Where as the multihulls, have larger cockpits..(often covered) they have the forward area where you can sit... the tramps where you can lay and watch the water.. Also, some of them.. (Lagoon 450) also have a forward cockpit as well as a fly bridge with TONS of seating up there... just more outside space...

We are planning on sailing plenty of both (mono and multi) before we make our final decision. But regardless... we will choose our budget first... then find the boat that best meets our needs, and is well built, and maintained...

Anyway... that's the musings of a boat virgin..
You're on the right track read everything, sail as much as you can especially in challenging conditions and on as many different boats as possible. Then make up your own mind.
Capt RonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 18:30   #90

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redreuben View Post
Old forum saying;

Save longer !
If I am right the Crowther he is looking at is a great project. Some projects are just well worth it.

downunder is offline   Reply With Quote