Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 13:14   #1

LOOKING AT PUTTING MY CAT ON CHARTER

Hi All,
I am looking at the possibility of putting my lagoon 440 into charter as im just not getting out to her to use her as much as i would like, i keep her in southern spain at the moment.
does anyone have their boat on charter with a good company who treats the boat right. looking for southern spain or balearics
kind regards
jimmy
jenkolav40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 02:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
This topic has been discussed here a few time. I have my boat in charter in Marmaris / Turkey and I am very satisifed after a year, both in terms of service-maintenance and income.
It looks like in the BVI's, the picture is quite different; lot of damage to the boats, little to no maintenance, etc.
I have no idea how does this work in Spain/balaeric islands. In any case, the key is to talk to someone (preferably an owner who use the same charter company) before you commit into such an agreement.
Cheers

yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:22   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
.....It looks like in the BVI's, the picture is quite different; lot of damage to the boats, little to no maintenance, etc.
I have no idea how does this work in Spain/balaeric islands. In any case, the key is to talk to someone (preferably an owner who use the same charter company) before you commit into such an agreement.
Cheers

yeloya
That"s a bit harsh on the BVI charter scene imho! You'll get considerably more charters in BVI than you will in the Med, rough averages would be 20 weeks in BVI, 12 weeks in Western Med and so, of course, the "wear and tear" are commensuratley higher. Don't expect to make any money but if you are realistic, you'll get heavily subsidised sailing and maybe the cost of your airfares to get to your boat a couple of times a year.

Balearics - Try "KP Winter" who is based just outside Palma. Peter Winter is German (speaks fluent English and Spanish of course) and has a very slick operation indeed - mind you, I havent used him for many years and things change in this game quite rapidly! Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2008, 07:50   #4

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
I agree with bvimatelot...some of the smaller charter companies in the BVI take quite good care of their boats, and they tend to do almost as much business, if not as much, as the biggies. More charters does mean more maintenance, but if the income supports it and it gets done, that is not a bad thing.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2008, 10:44   #5

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Schaaf View Post
I agree with bvimatelot...some of the smaller charter companies in the BVI take quite good care of their boats, and they tend to do almost as much business, if not as much, as the biggies. More charters does mean more maintenance, but if the income supports it and it gets done, that is not a bad thing.
My boat has just finished 6 years with TMM. Over 30 week charter every year. Maintenance bills were high but so was the income. Sure I'm now spending lot of money bringing the boat up to cruising spec but I'm not complaining (well not often)

Get the right boat and the right charter company and chartering works fine.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2008, 18:21   #6

Florida and Bahamas

Hi,

Our company just took on a new 440 Lagoon in April and it has been doing quite well in the Florida and Bahamas region probably due to the fact there are very few really nice Cats and the local US Charter Scene is growing because of economic and travel related woes.

Since April, Diamond Girl has done 16 Charters, both crewed and bareboat. Still has several more months left to go this year.

Best,

Jay Phillips
jphillips67 is offline   Reply With Quote