Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2015, 05:05   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Lifespan of rigging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
Seven years and parted strands???? WOW!!!

There must be a HUGE variation in wire quality. Go with the best, is my advice. My 20 year old 304 grade 1X19 into Norsemans were still fine after 20 years. I was very curious about the ends and the inner strands. No problems. When I rerigged last fall, I used 316 wire from the most reputable supplier I could find in the USA.
You don't have a lot of experience with catamaran rigging do you?

There are very good reasons why it is recommended to replace standing rigging on a catamaran more frequently than on a monohull. And we are talking about a Lagoon 440 here.

(I've personally seen two cats loose there masts in the last few years through rigging failures.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 05:49   #17

Boat: 48' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You don't have a lot of experience with catamaran rigging do you?

There are very good reasons why it is recommended to replace standing rigging on a catamaran more frequently than on a monohull. And we are talking about a Lagoon 440 here.

(I've personally seen two cats loose there masts in the last few years through rigging failures.)
Nope, I don't. Explicamelo, por favor.
Travis McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 05:56   #18

Boat: 1981 Morgan OI 41

About how much is cable and ends?
From what I gather it's the lower end of the cable that "rots" inside the crimped on end from dirt and grit and lack of oxygen so why could you not just replace those and get longer turnbuckles or ad links of some sort as needed?
Also is there a cleaning procedure or penetrant recommend to prolong the life of the cables?
Salty Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 05:58   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis McGee View Post
Nope, I don't. Explicamelo, por favor.
Cat rigging endures greater peak loads because cats don't heel to absorb and dissipate the loads from gusts.

But on the other hand, monos on moorings are subject to cyclical loads from rolling.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 05:58   #20

Just replaced the last of the rigging wires after 41 years. Found rust on one of the wires where it enters the terminal. No broken strands. Learn to inspect your rigging and replace it when there is a reason. Staylocks can be opened and inspected. If you do not feel you can do the inspection get someone who can. Probable not a rigger. Stainless has more failure modes than Carter has little pills. Some are hard to spot.
Boat has been in the southern Caribbean for last 15 years. Inspected every year. Parts replaced when I see something that says it is questionable.
I would still use the rigging as a talking point on price.
Lots of info on the web on stainless fail modes
Bob
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 06:29   #21

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dploypos View Post
THe quote to replace on the Lagoon was $11k....seems high but not sure.
Consider doing it yourself using mechanical fittings. I just replaced the 10 year old rigging on my boat for $2,545, including shipping, using 14mm wire and Hi-mod fittings from Rigging Only. Rigging Only sells only quality wire from Korea and they test every shipment.

Using mechanical fittings not only allows you to DIY, but you can remove them and inspect the wire at regular intervals. When it comes time to re-rig you pay only for the wire.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 05:56   #22

Good comments here and I learned much...thx to all.

Turns out the $11k quote I referenced for new rigging also included new sails - my bad.

I learned through my life that anything mission-critical to safety and operation is better left to the professionals - so I will not be re-rigging myself. However, it does seem to save about half the cost.

There were other issues in the survey, including hoses from the heads, Saildrive gaskets and some A/C issues, as well as a bad fridge drawer and some hairline cracks at some corners...all maint issues. So negotiations are proceeding with new rigging in the mix.

BTW my insurance broker was fine with the rigging and not concerned with the age...kust inspection.
dploypos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging