Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2014, 11:46   #1

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Leopard 40

I had a wonderful surprise in my email today. It appears that Leopard is announcing a new 40' for 2015. (pardon me if someone else has posted about this.. I didn't have time to search the threads).

The email I received did have some digital mock ups and it showed some interesting features. What it did NOT have was a photo of the cabins and heads, but it did have a layout so you do get an idea of what the configurations will be. I assume the layout and decore would be similar to their other boats.

There are 2 VERY interesting features. The first one is a front exit to the bow of the boat. Essentially it is a lovely glass door... leading directly out the front of the salon. From the photos it looks like it is not much more than a narrow stairway, with a large storage hold along side it. I'm not so sure I like it.. but I will be excited to see it in person.

The other feature.. which I am REALLY excited about is the salon set up. The seating area is Aft, near the doors to the cockpit. And the galley is forward facing allong the bow bulkhead. I think THIS will be something that will completely change the way Cats are configured. I love the idea of being able to face forward while cooking. For me, it helps with the motion sickness a bit as I don't do very well when facing backwards. But, can you imagine how wonderful to look out, 180 unobstructed degrees whilst preparing your food?! LOVE that idea. The other benefit is.. with their big open door and windows to the cockpit.. your salon seating is right next to your cockpit seating area, which makes things really nice when you have extra guests to entertain...

Anyway.. I think you can go out and see the specs and sail plans etc on line now...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 06:09   #2
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: Leopard 40

The Leopard 44, with a forward cockpit, has proven to be a pretty popular design in the charter trade so I am not suprised that they haved done something similar in the new 40. No doubt a great layout for charter use, but I have a few reservation about the design, especially when underway:

1. No chart table/nav station. I know, you can use the saloon table for charts, but where do you install a SSB radio? Where do you install repeaters for the autopilot/instruments?

2. Unlike the Leopard 44, which has a partial U-shpaed galley up to provide some bracing when underway, I can't imagine using that galley in any type of seas.

3. The principle cockpit/lounging area is still aft and as a consequence, one of the biggest advantages of a galley up (a direct pass-through to the cockpit and exterior table) is eliminated.

4. Rather than a forward cockpit, it is really just a partially shaded, lay-down lounging area.

5. The forward door does seem substantial enough (with what seem like proper dogs), but I worry about ventilation in the saloon when underway: there are no overhead hatches (which, as they are higher up and further back than the forward door, will take in less spray/green water in most conditions). You would have to have that door open in order to have any ventilation at all and, I suspect that would often lead to a rather wet interior.

6. Speaking of ventilation (or the lack thereof), the overhead hatches for the aft cabins are covered by the solid bimini and partially blocked by the cockpit backrests. I can't imagine much air getting at, let alone through those when under anchor.

7. For various reasons, I've never been a fan of anchors being released under the trampoline: difficult to clean off mud, almost impossible to change anchors, increases the potential for the anchor rode coming into contact with the bows of the boat should she swing during a wind shift, etc.

I quite like the forward cockpit of boats like Chris White's Atlantic series - they provide tremendous visibility from the helm and close access through the door for the nav station/inside steering station (or alternatively, from the nav station to the cockpit for trimming the sails). They also have all halyards/reefing lines not only at the helm, but at the base of the mast without the need for various turning blocks, etc. These are all valid reasons for a forward cockpit, rather than just for easier access to the bows of the boat and as the sole means of ventilation for the saloon.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 17:22   #3
Marine Service Provider

Hi Scarlet,

thank you for your interest in the 2015 Leopard 40. I think this model will be a huge success as the Leopard 40 combines many aspects that are appreciated by sailors world wide: comfort, ease of maintenance and a decent turn of speed.

Looking at the comments above, it is interesting to see that Brad has more information on the Leopard 40 than we have at the Leopard sales HQ in Ft Lauderdale!

1) there is a chart table on the port side next to the forward opening door.
There are 2 loose Ottoman style stools that are part of the standard equipment that can be used at the nav station, dining table or in the owners stateroom. If selected, the VHF and Fusion stereo (with inside and outside loudspeakers, both fore and aft) are installed at the nav station. There is plenty of space for a additional equipment such as the optional factory installed Autopilot remote control. And as the autopilot remote already goes there, one can easily install repeaters for log/depth /wind.

2) There is no "island" to lean against in the Leopard 40. But then again, who prepares a Thanksgiving dinner in gale?

3) The aft salon seating and cockpit seating are integrated and only an arms-length (or two) away from serving dinner, drinks, whatever from the galley. Imagine the amount of friends and family you can entertain in this open loft like area.

4) The principal function of the forward door is to have easy access to the fore-deck and great ventilation at anchor. On the starboard side one can install lounge pads (remember the loudspeakers in point 1) and create a third lounge area.

5) When anchored, the front door will be open or partially open. If closed, there is still good air circulation. Ventilation fans (2x) can be installed in both corners of the salon. In the Leopard 44 and 48 we have installed a Lewmar porthole in the forward facing salon window. As the 2015 Leopard 40 design is not completely finished, and improvements are made as this yacht moves along the production line, I am confident the ventilation aspect will be considered, as it has been on the almost 1400 Leopard catamarans that have been built since 1997.

6) The (yes indeed, flush mounted!) hatches over the aft cabins provide enough ventilation. As in all Leopard catamarans, there are opening portholes, overhead hatches and fans to create a cross breeze. Otherwise you start the optional generator / air conditioning.

7) Anchor under the trampoline: Life is a compromise, and anchoring as well. The alternative is to have a muddy rusty chain over the trampoline, plus a big hook on the crossbeam when underway. Leopard catamarans have been using this same system on almost 1400 catamarans. We believe this system works best in most occasions.

We will continue to add more information to the Leopard website on this new model, or feel free to contact me through a pm or email peterw@leopardcatamarans.com

Fair winds,
Peter Wiersema / Leopard catamarans
catabroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 18:15   #4

Very interesting feedback!! From BOTH of you!

Peter.. when do you think you will be showing it?
Old 17-10-2014, 05:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

The first Leopard 40 will be shown at the 2015 Miami boat show in February 12-16. This will be a 3 cabin / 2 head owners version.

Peter Wiersema CPYB
Old 17-10-2014, 05:47   #6
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Brad, as usual your comments are well thought out and right on the mark. Gives people something to think about.
I just read through the Leopard 40 internet brochure and it reads like an ad selling a condo. Nothing about the design of the hulls except they have more volume making for a larger interior. Absolutely nothing about how the boat sails and why. I don't think it even mentioned the type size or placement of the engines. Seems as if the boat is being designed around an interior and the sailing ability comes in a distant second. Hopefully they will update their "brochure" with more info on the sailing ability and how it will achieve it.
http://www.leopardcatamarans.com/new...ing-leopard-40

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 05:58   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
There are 2 VERY interesting features. The first one is a front exit to the bow of the boat. Essentially it is a lovely glass door... leading directly out the front of the salon. From the photos it looks like it is not much more than a narrow stairway, with a large storage hold along side it. I'm not so sure I like it.. but I will be excited to see it in person.
My experience is very limited on cats, but on our Oyster we take waves over the bow in 30 knot winds all the time. Not sure how that will work on a cat with a large flat safety glass surface on the front? I know 50ft cats sit very high off the water, but a 40 footer wouldn't be much higher (freeboard) than some monohulls (half-boats).

Maybe someone can enlighten us on this possible or unlikely issue?

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 06:15   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Brad, as usual your comments are well thought out and right on the mark. Gives people something to think about.
I just read through the Leopard 40 internet brochure and it reads like an ad selling a condo. Nothing about the design of the hulls except they have more volume making for a larger interior. Absolutely nothing about how the boat sails and why. I don't think it even mentioned the type size or placement of the engines. Seems as if the boat is being designed around an interior and the sailing ability comes in a distant second. Hopefully they will update their "brochure" with more info on the sailing ability and how it will achieve it.
Introducing the Leopard 40 | Leopard Catamarans US

Well.. I sort of understand this. I think there is a HUGE market of people who look for the interior first. Probably more so than those interested in the specs and sailing capability. Also... I would think that their hull design would be very similar to their other boats. But, I am anxious to see it.

BTW.. Peter.. glad they are bringing the 3 cabin version...
Old 17-10-2014, 06:22   #9
smj

Sadly Scarlet, I think you may be right.

Old 17-10-2014, 07:39   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

Sorry Catabroker, I was looking at the images and did not see a drawing that included the small chart table on the port side of the saloon. When I went back to Leopard site I found the interior layout drawings under specifications.

So yes, it seems that a chart table/nav station does exist, atlhough it appears to be no wider than bottom cushions on the settees - I would assume about 24 inches. Since there is a full size window above the table, I still can't see where one would install an SSB - although I am glad to hear that there is sufficent space for a stereo and a VHF.

A review of the 'specifications', however, not only revealed the interior layout, but also the lack of detail information referred to by SMJ. Indeed, since there is no indication of the size of the diesels, one wonders how they are able to publish displacement figures.

I fully understand that the distance between the interior table and the galley is very short - my comment was with respect to the galley and the cockpit. Surely you must agree that this design loses the 'pass-through' that is one of the most salient features of a galley-up design.

I was also not suggesting that anyone would wish to make a 'thanksgiving dinner in a gale'. Some, however, may still want to make something to eat and drink when the going gets a little rough and IMO, the lack of proper bracing is a legitimate concern for passagemaking.

I also fully understand that the area outside of the forward door can be used as a lounger. In fact I described it as "just a partially shaded, lay-down lounging area".
I am not suggesting that this has zero utility, although the partial shading from the overhang might make it a little awkward both for those who want to tan and those who want to avoid the sun.

Please also understand that I am not 'trashing' the boat. Rather, I wrote that it was "no doubt a great layout for charter use." I still maintain that. The lack of an adequate chart table or space for a SSB is irrelevant for charter parties; space for a stereo/VHF by an exterior exit is, however, quite relevant. The lack of bracing at a galley is irrelvant for charter parties, whereas a quck and convenient exit for the forward lounging area/anchor windlass is. The difficulty in swapping anchors for different conditions/bottoms is irrelvant for charter parties, although less potential for mud in the forward lounging areas is. The lack of ventilation when underway (i.e., the risk of spray/green water entering throught he forward door) is irrelevant for charter parties, whereas admittedly the ventilation through the forward door should be terrific under anchor in anything except blowing rain. The lack of details about performance (and the potential reduction in performance due to hull beam) is irrelevant to charter parties, although the additional stateroom space for a large group is.

I think that Leopard should be commended for thinking outside of the box in the design and layout of this boat. I suspect that it will prove very popular in the charter trade - and for those who propose to use their boats in a similar way: largely day sails between protected anchorages and marinas.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 07:49   #11
smj

I was mistaken as the specs do show twin 29hp diesels. Are these shaft or sail drive driven? Where are they located? Under the bunks or in a locker at the stern of the boat? So much missing info that to me would be important, and surely they are at the point in the design that the info should be available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-10-2014, 08:55   #12

Catabroker... any idea what this boat will cost?
Old 17-10-2014, 09:52   #13
Marine Service Provider

The first Leopard 40 is the Miami Boat Show demo.
This yacht has the following options (on top of the standard equipment): 3 cabin 2 head "Owners version" with additional forepeak berth on the port side, interior salon blinds (Oceanair), Yanmar 29 HP with saildrives, Fusion sound system with 4 loudspeakers and remote at helm, Raymarine electronics with autopilot, 9" chartplotter, speed, depth, wind and 2 x VHF, 2 x 30 amp shorepower, battery charger, outlets throughout vessel incl GFC in heads, interior fans, 3 x 180Amph AGM batteries, AGM engine batteries, USB sockets in all cabins, provision for future generator, 2 x 16kBtu air conditioning units, one electric winch, provision for TV and bracket, 2 x70W solarpanels on hardtop, 4 x under waterlights, 2 electric toilets, hot and cold stern shower, LPG outlet on stern for BBQ, shade covers in hardtop, leather covered steering wheel, electric davit system with winch, stackpack, 45Lbs Delta with chain, bridle, fenders, docklines, 8pax liferaft, commissioned & imported, freight delivered , FOB Ft Lauderdale

Only one unit available at this price $435,000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B1 - 3 cabin layout.jpg
Views:	3219
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	89870  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Standard Equipment list - Leopard 40 - English - 09-11-2014.pdf (43.8 KB, 199 views)
Old 18-10-2014, 05:29   #14

Boat: FP Orana 44

In my view, to have a door from the saloon to the front has one major pro/con:

Pro: Easy access to the front when socializing.
Con: Takes space from the saloon.

I think the concept works great on the 44 where there is a nice front cockpit. But on the 40, there is no real forward cockpit hence less of a reason to go forward, and the saloon is smaller, so I wonder if the space penalty is too big for too little advantage.

As always, needs to be seen in real flesh.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 08:59   #15
Marine Service Provider

below the polar for the Leopard 40 2015:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Polar Leopard 40  2015.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	223.3 KB
ID:	90092