Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 18:03   #166
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Some of the wiring that I worked on in the past was black for the first 3-5 feet. Is this a sign of non tinned wire corroding? If so I want nothing to do with it.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:13   #167
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Lagoons Have Cheap Brass Thruhulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Some of the wiring that I worked on in the past was black for the first 3-5 feet. Is this a sign of non tinned wire corroding? If so I want nothing to do with it.
Yes it is!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:41   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Minaret:- Where has any so called brass fitting been shown to have been fitted from the factory to one of the so called offending builders cats? JUST ONE...

Where has original so labelled 'UNTINNED' wiring been proven to cause the destruction of one of these boats.

Do you think we do not maintain, check, observe, question every single item on our boats no matter what build they are?

Show me the evidence!
Show me it's factory originated!

Next week i'll be surveying three one owner well cared for cats that haven't been modified in any way, they are around 5 to 6 years old, i'll post ANY dodgy wiring or Fittings i find. Here in Australia i'm qualified under the USL Code through AMSA as a builder of ships, which is similar to USCG req's in America.

Can't be fairer than that. Your pig comment is noted and laughed at along with George the Leo's silly fuasap...... Strange how you choose to see it as saving these people from some trouble?

As Colombo would say....
One more thing:-
Do you see the title of this post as being defamatory as it indicates all Lagoons have cheap brass thruhulls yet the discussion seems to concern valves??????

I have no bone to pick i will give an honest appraisal and post the pictures......
You sure dont imply honesty -you imply prejudice and blather-now dont fall off the ol Aussie dockies and get wetty
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:48   #169

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
You sure dont imply honesty -you imply prejudice and blather-now dont fall off the ol Aussie dockies and get wetty
Indeed, a valuable inciteful post on the subject a hand. Very useful. in the context of the discussion.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 08:13   #170

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Guys ... The two clowns still have not addressed the issue of 'statistics speak volumes' .... Until that is addressed they remain clowns in my book!
Kinda like saying Audi produces crap vehicles because two had accidents PROBABLY because the brakes failed ... Statistics show differently and I just can't take guys like Miranet seriously ... They masquerade as professionals in the industry but where it really counts they act differently ...
I seriously question their agendas here ....
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 08:28   #171

blah de da blah bla---- Guys? ----LOL --well impi why dont you just forget about this thread as you say its not "statistically correct" (or politically correct either) so its your last post here --
Old 31-03-2012, 08:37   #172

SO at the Lagoon factory they had drunken 'electricians " tinning the ends of each wire as they installed it? (for 10 mm)This is getting funny.......... ah matey "I see no need for anything more as the wire in the middle will just corrode naturally" ... ah another Rum matey"
Old 31-03-2012, 13:44   #173

Quote:
SO at the Lagoon factory they had drunken 'electricians " tinning the ends of each wire as they installed it? (for 10 mm)This is getting funny.......... ah matey "I see no need for anything more as the wire in the middle will just corrode naturally" ... ah another Rum matey"
Are you reading any posting???
I posted a comment made by a technician regarding how he deals wiring on boats with installing 'MARETRON' backbones i said nothing regarding the 'Lagoon' factory.

You state i don't imply honesty???? You really have a very strange comprehension of the English language.

Time for you to understand the difference between tinned and untinned wiring.
1) Untinned wiring in a marine environment oxidises, it will do this for many metres up the wire.
2) This oxidisation is natural, the world used copper wires for transmission of electricity to all houses until the cheaper aluminium alternative came along.
3) The critical part of any wiring is the end connections (are you following this?) hence the MARETRON technicians method of tinning each end to ensure forever and a day a good as can be connection.
4) The wire between oxidises it doesn't corrode, your Aluminium mast and your rigging wire also oxidise it's the metals reaction to the air we breathe and this oxidisation actually protects the metal from further DEGRADATION ...got it?????

For you to question my honesty is your perogative, i guess you simply either love to argue or you are a rather inept person who needs to attack forum members by personal threadrifting attacks. Do i care? NAHHHH not one snippet of untinned wire.......

Now that wasn't too difficult was it?

Something you might like to consider, a forum is a pedestal where contributors can offer their individual experience to the fray, they may be correct they may be half correct but you mate need to shooooosh to listen and learn.

Cheers.......
Old 31-03-2012, 14:00   #174

'you pay your money and you make your choice'
Old 31-03-2012, 14:02   #175
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo
'you pay your money and you make your choice'
And 1000s. And seem very happy

Dave
Old 31-03-2012, 14:07   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Are you reading any posting???
I posted a comment made by a technician regarding how he deals wiring on boats with installing 'MARETRON' backbones i said nothing regarding the 'Lagoon' factory.

You state i don't imply honesty???? You really have a very strange comprehension of the English language.

Time for you to understand the difference between tinned and untinned wiring.
1) Untinned wiring in a marine environment oxidises, it will do this for many metres up the wire.
2) This oxidisation is natural, the world used copper wires for transmission of electricity to all houses until the cheaper aluminium alternative came along.
3) The critical part of any wiring is the end connections (are you following this?) hence the MARETRON technicians method of tinning each end to ensure forever and a day a good as can be connection.
4) The wire between oxidises it doesn't corrode, your Aluminium mast and your rigging wire also oxidise it's the metals reaction to the air we breathe and this oxidisation actually protects the metal from further DEGRADATION ...got it?????

For you to question my honesty is your perogative, i guess you simply either love to argue or you are a rather inept person who needs to attack forum members by personal threadrifting attacks. Do i care? NAHHHH not one snippet of untinned wire.......

Now that wasn't too difficult was it?

Something you might like to consider, a forum is a pedestal where contributors can offer their individual experience to the fray, they may be correct they may be half correct but you mate need to shooooosh to listen and learn.

Cheers.......
have you ever heard of a literary format called "parody"
Old 31-03-2012, 14:22   #177

Quote:
have you ever heard of a literary format called "parody"
Sadly George you just 'don't get it'.
Pay my money and take my choices!....That's the truest thing you have said on this thread?
Yes i will pay my money and sail away in the boat of my choice after very very carefully surveying every square inch of her.

I guess the seller may, in your opinion, consider himself very lucky that his 5/6 year old boat did not burst into flames or sink and that my wife and i just happened along and bought it from him.

Are you fair dinkum?

George enjoy your trolling life ....Me? i'll be trolling for Mahi Mahi and loving it, with of course a rum or three........

All the best......
Old 31-03-2012, 14:47   #178

Thanks Matey! Alas I dont imbibe--I troll as a substite
Old 31-03-2012, 19:07   #179

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Now I'm pissed. some of you guys have come down pretty harshly on Minaret for his views. Here's a heads up. He IS a professional shipwright and has been his whole life. He's seen and worked on more hull bottoms than the rest of us put together. Check out this thread and others by him.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ard-67680.html
Disagree with him but don't insult him. For instance he's a mono guy and I'm a multi guy but I would want him workin' on my boat but I'm too late as he's about to retire after a LIFETIME as a shipwright and a damn good one.
As for as Lagoon goes we have to accept that they are built to a price point and the company is hugely successful for doing so. If they use crappy parts in their Multis then I'm sure they use the same parts in their Monos (Beneteau) They are the Ford of the boating world. Big volume, reasonable price, good products. If you want quality then buy a Swan, Gunboat, Rolls Royce. For mere mortals like me a Lagoon will be just fine. Crappy thruhulls and all.
Everyone be nice.
Old 31-03-2012, 19:19   #180

I worked in the wire industry for 15 year. Bare wire corrodes, this corrosion cause the wire to be brittle. Brittle wire when bent will create higher resistance or break. Extra tin is put on the ends to support better soldering. Depending on the quality of the wire moisture can wick up the wire much farther than you think. Don't over think this. My boat has heavy un-tinned wire (old boat). I replace is as I do projects. One more point solid wire breaks easier that the same size of stranded wire. Use marine rated wire in your boat when you can. The jacket is tough and the stranded wire is tinned.
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap