Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2016, 15:02   #31

Re: Lagoon 450 s or FP Helia 44?

Like many on here have said, buying a cat is always a compromise....I would agree though that Nautitech found the balance, I bought a 40 a year ago despite initially wanting in 45 and have not looked back, I really love her.....I chartered two FPS, a Helia and and Salina for a combined total of five weeks and I would not buy FP, I do not think the quality is very good, and despite what many say I do not think it is as good as Lagoon....subjective of course though....I think FP show age really fast, flex, and cabinetry is loose and creaky when sailing.....having said that they do sail better than Lagoons which can be a bit wallowly, and terrible for pointing....the FP will sail a bit better and point a bit higher IMHO. The Nautitech will sail and point quite a lot better than both, maybe the best performing cat without dagger boards and for a good budget....quality of cabinetry is good and solid, better than the Lagoon and FP IMHO, my boat is nearly two years old now and well tested and holding up very well....the UK dealer's after sales service is very good also.....with respect to the helm debate, it depends where you are, I spent years moaning about exposed twin helms but when I tried my boat for a week first first I soon realised they were indeed brilliant for sailing....the blind spot is actually quite limited, and a small price to pay for the social benefits, and the manoeuvrability benefits in a marine, everything can be done from the rear and its sooooo easy, and importantly (if you love the "feel" of sailing) you can hear and feel the slightest pick up in speed, not to mention monitor sails really well, its really makes a great difference. If you love sailing and feel get twin helms (they do not feel exposed in quite bad weather here in the UK), if you want to cruise around the tropics and don't mind sacrificing that feel, and want a sun deck get a flybridge as they undoubtedly are great for that, and a compromise is a single bulkhead helm....both the latter will have very limited and awkward visibility in the marina, but if you're cruising round the BVI and anchoring you won't care! Spent 8 years sailing all different types of cat and they are all different and all have pluses and minuses....for me personally, the Nautitech was the best balance of what I wanted.....anybody want more detail just ask.
ps spoke to two delivery skippers recently about Lagoon 450 and 42, both skippers said the same about pointability and wallowing....but on a reach or downwind they will go of course with a code zero out....they also both said they didn't like quality of FP so I'm not the only one who thinks as I do....
Also the new Nautitech 46 Fly is now out, as I type its sat next to me in the marina....I don't like flys anymore but if you like the Nautitech look and quality its a decent flybridge option.....
gelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 21:29   #32

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
.....anybody want more detail just ask.
Gelliott, it would be great to talk with you regarding your experiences on the Open 40. Please drop me a note at gryan004@yahoo.com and let me know how best we can connect. BTW, I am in La Rochelle this week and will be touring the FP and Nautitech factories. Plan to take lots of video and will share the post here.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:16   #33

Gary dropped you a note...will be good to hear your experiences....will be surprised if you don't see a difference, will look forward to hearing
gelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:46   #34

Gelliott, i'd love to talk to you myself about your 40. I was at
LGM at the 46 premiere and it does feel a well done cat. I visited Cannes a couple of days ago (by the way, the 40 who is sitting by the 46 Fly is yours?), had the same impression again (the Fly version is not for me though, it'd have to be the Open) though i have not sailed on one and, understandably, given it's a new design, real world info is scarce. I can be reached at Luca70@hotmail.com, I'd love to speak to you. Many thanks luca
Waveda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon