Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2014, 11:05   #1

Boat: Purchase in 2015
KNYSNA 500se

New to CF.
We were in Annapolis and saw a few Cats that piqued our interest, Anteres and the new Knysna 500.
Anyone have any opions on the Knysna? Seems well priced compared to others that size.
bradcuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 17:03   #2

Boat: PDQ32
Re: KNYSNA 500se

We liked it as well but being trapped in the captains seat by that overhead opening was a problem for me. I like to be able to step out and head forward to help when mooring or anchoring.

I also had concerns about the relatively low bridge deck. I suspect she will not be nice ride upwind.

The finishes however seemed first class.

Henry

Sent from my GT-P7500R using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-10-2014, 04:52   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, bradcuda.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 19:06   #4

I was thinking the same thing as far as finishing quality henryv.
It was top notch. And the helm was a little to "closed in" with no quick access to the deck. As far as low clearance, the one at the show was partially loaded so it may have rode a little lower in the water depending on how many people were on board at the time. The owners said it sailed great but it's their boat. I liked the flat deck at the front and the rest of the lay out. Well priced. Is it a take off of the St. Francis?
Old 28-10-2014, 19:24   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re:

One thing I disliked of the Knysna was the rather small saloon/galley by comparison with other 50ft vessels.

I think it was designed by the designer of the St Francis with more modern look.

Have a look at a Freeflow 46 which has 6x4 meters available for galley/saloon
/nav station

FreeFlow Catamarans
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 20:13   #6

yeah downunder the galley and saloon was smaller compared to other 50's but the cockpit was ok other than the helm. The cockpit is where most time is spent.
I've been looking at the Freeflow. I think the galley/saloon is a little to large for the size of boat but until a person is actually on the boat, it's hard to judge. I like the daggerboards, not to heavy, good beam to length ratio.
I wonder what the finishing is like?
Hope one shows up at La Grande Motte in the spring
Old 28-10-2014, 23:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradcuda View Post
yeah downunder the galley and saloon was smaller compared to other 50's but the cockpit was ok other than the helm. The cockpit is where most time is spent.
I've been looking at the Freeflow. I think the galley/saloon is a little to large for the size of boat but until a person is actually on the boat, it's hard to judge. I like the daggerboards, not to heavy, good beam to length ratio.
I wonder what the finishing is like?
Hope one shows up at La Grande Motte in the spring
You would need to talk with the designer Nathan Stanton. I believe he is currently organising a builder to build somewhere in Asia. There is a FF52 nearly finished somwhere in Med perhaps Turkey.

Ballotta in Peru can also build them. They are an experienced catamaran builders using flat panel infusion techniques with excellent finish. Very competitively priced and essentially a custom built layout as you desire.

Kelsall Catamarans - Ballotta Catamarans - Custom built catamarans - Prices

My preference for saloon fitout would be I like a layout similar to the St Francis 50 with more room. Would not be too large and the navstation/ would also have room as computer workstation/office with a view rather than down in a hull.

A feature I really like is the bullet proof rig setup and centrally mounted motors like Antares in a more modern design with fantastic ventilation.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SF50Galleynav station.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	90489  
Attached Images

Old 29-10-2014, 06:15   #8

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I'll bet the Antares holds is value better.
Old 02-11-2014, 20:56   #9

Perhaps but the Antares whilst still a benchmark is now a dated design with much less performance and room.

TheFF design has the best built in airflow/ventilation and bulletproof rig I have seen on a cat and a Ballotta build would give you a brand new vessel at the price of a 5yr old or older Antares.

Well worth a look in that class of vessel.

cheers
Old 03-11-2014, 16:26   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
A Ballotta build would give you a brand new vessel at the price of a 5yr old or older Antares.
I always wondered what was the story on that earlier Ballota cat. It had to be almost completely refit and it was only a year or 2 old.
Old 03-11-2014, 22:51   #11

SC - I think it was simply built as a day boat rather than a cruising boat.

The FF plans are extremely detailed in CAD to the last degree unlike the Kelsall plans which leave a lot of detail for the builder to sort as he goes.

You simply need to ensure your electrical design/specs / fitout is correct for a cruising vessel. As they essentially custom fit it is not an issue. Even consider an electrical design done in States or Australia. All parts and wiring boards are essentially sourced from states any way.

I would spend the last couple of months of the build in Lima. Apartments are very economical.

Cheers
Old 05-11-2014, 12:20   #12

Hmmm. Thanks downunder. I'm going to have to do more research on the FF46. Curious what the time frame is for construction and how Keshi is holding up.
Old 05-11-2014, 13:06   #13

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

bradcuda,

Keshi looks immaculate & is well cared for by her loving owner. He had an issue with one of the toilets which needed replacement, that has been the only issue since launch.

As one of the first owners of the new FF46 production line, you could PM me if you need any detailed info.
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 13:48   #14

LOVE IT !!! Just came back from Miami. The Knysna 500SE (pronounced nice-na) was by far our favorite boat that we looked at. Great looking lines and incredible detail and quality in construction and workmanship. Kevin Fouche is extremely involved with his clients and willing to customize as per your individual tastes may request. I see the posts regarding the somewhat closed in Helm, yet there is no doubt in my mind that Kevin would listen and modify the hard top to suit your particular desires. Personally I could not find a better view of all four corners on another 40' to 50' cat at the show. My wife and I at 6' 0" tall were both very comfortable in the seat at the same time feeling like this luxury rocket was begging to do 20 knots.

I can honestly say that did not care for the feeling of disconnect that a flybridge configured boat has on some of the production cats being away from the cockpit, salon, never mind the tending to anything on the deck. But hey that's the charter boat market.

The Knysna 500SE is a Boutique Custom built yacht having all the luxury and accomodation without going over board, over size and over weight like the production cats. If you are looking for a floating condo, that is fine, stay with those big beautiful production cats. Yet, when I really consider how much we want a sailboat that can quickly and safely handle a longer trip, rather than having a restrictive boat made for hopping from island to island slowly around the carribean without sacrificing all those very nice luxury appointments that a well built yacht should have then I believe this is the boat for us.

Please respond and give me some like type size / model options, as this 50' cat seemed very managebale for two people to handle. We are definitely willing to consider used.
AndyandDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 14:25   #15

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyandDawn View Post
My wife and I at 6' 0" tall were both very comfortable in the seat at the same time feeling like this luxury rocket was begging to do 20 knots.
"Begging" would seem to be an appropriate term.

Quote:
Please respond and give me some like type size / model options, as this 50' cat seemed very managebale for two people to handle.
All production cruising cats (up to the really big ones) are easy to manage for two people. Especially if you're both over 6' tall......

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote