Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:16   #1

Kennex Catamarans

I am aware that Pro Kennex have not produced catamarans for some time, but has any body have any experience of sailing and especially owning one, if so I would like to hear their pro's and con's especially the 380.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 16:17   #2

Boat: Kennex 38 catamaran
Thumbs up

I have a 1993 Kennex 380. I haven't sailed it much yet, but it seems to be a performance boat. I sailed thru a storm and had only 3 wave slams, a tremendous improvement over my former Prout 37. I live aboard. The design wasn't planned for that, e.g. a cockpit enclosure will be difficult, the engine driven fridge had to go, and access to the cabin table is difficult. Contact me if you have questions.

-- Tom
Tom Blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 00:49   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
I had a good pro kennex squash racket once (-;

They seemed a bit ahead of there time with those carbon ringframes

Dave
Old 19-12-2008, 13:33   #4

Pro Kennex sold the boat division to Dufour which then split it off as Nautitec.
Old 14-03-2009, 07:16   #5

Hi
I'm John Ruppel, currently residing in St. Augustine, looking for a live-aboard sailboat to cruise from the southern Bahamas to New England.
I'm piggybacking on your response to ireany's query about the Kennex 380. One just came on the market in Mobile, and my wife and I are wondering whether it would be worth the 1000 mile round-trip to look at her. I have a bunch of generic questions about the Kennex; if you'd be willing to give me a few minutes, please drop me a post at nhsharpie@hotmail.com. If you'd prefer to do this over the phone, just email your phone#.

Thank you.

John Ruppel
John Ruppel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 07:44   #6

Pro Kennex

I owned a Pro Kennex back in the 90's and thought it was a well built catamaran. The 18 horse engines were lacking, the galley head height was not made for anyone taller than 5-9" and the fuel capacity was not enough for extended cruising. I was able to enclose the cockpit very easily with screening. Here in TX the enclosed cockpit was really nice in all weather. I remember the wiring seemed to have some problems as well. I do know that after owning a catamaran I now recognize that they are great for shallow water cruising and living at anchor but the motion offshore on long passages can be irritating. I am now torn as I look for my next boat which way to go. I love the motion of a monohull offshore but love the catamaran inshore and at anchor (does that mean I should try a trimaran?). I sold my catamaran to a couple in Canada and they ended up taking it through the canal up to Canada and eventually through the South Pacific. Their boats name is Mustang Sally.
wsdemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 21:11   #7

Catamarans follow the shape of the water, which can be jerky at times. But I have sailed across the Atlantic in a 41 monohull which in light wind would roll 30 degrees to each side every 4 seconds for 10 hours at a stretch - enough to make you scream! The sails had to be taken down because of the explosive slam on each roll.
Old 13-05-2012, 13:54   #8

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Re: Kennex Catamarans

I met some people on the dock in San Diego yesterday who have just completed a circumnavigation in a Kennex cat.
Old 14-05-2012, 16:38   #9

Boat: Catana 411 glory days
I owned an 89 kennel 380 for 4 years. Boat was great but as I bought it out of a foriegn charter co. I had to redo a lot of things, but as someone said was a great boat in1989
Gary russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:13   #10

I have a 1990 Kennex 380 and am replacing the trampolines. I did not get the dimensions the last time I was at the boat and keep it at a private dock in Guatemala. The company that is making them listed Kennex 380 as a boat that they make tramps for and even sent diagrams, but are asking for the dimensions of one of the pair. If you could get those from your boat it would be appreciated.
Amaleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 08:44   #11

Amaleo
I just bought a Kennex 380 1993 catamaran, which needs a lot of work, I have been trying to get a copy of the Owner's Manual, I wonder if you have one for your boat and could sell me a copy. I would greatly appreciate I really need one.
7MarSan7 is offline   Reply With Quote