Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2015, 04:46   #1

Boat: still looking for the right Tri
Re: It can't be Planet Earth. - It must be a Multihull Haven Heaven !

Its a pleasure to know you here, Derek ! Appreciate your design work. I am not that age (having started sailing in the 70th). Looking back already before that time you had some relevant impacts onto multihull sailing.

For all newbees: Toria 42 ft trimaran was Derek's first design in foam sandwich and 1st to win the open offshore race RWYC (Two-Handed Round Britain Race) in 1966.
Toria was Eric Tabarley's introduction to offshore multihull sailing. Kind of symbiosis with synergy effects for both. (Rec.: Eric supported Derek to deliver the boat from Cornwall to the boat show">London Boat show.)

But not just looking back, Derek's boats can be of "real future", e.g. twin masts (free standing) as seenon his 54 Foot Catamaran design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekKelsall View Post
Multihull Centre, Millbrook, Cornwall....Perhaps the first multihull centre of significance, which now has lots of multis of all kinds at anchor, tied to pontoons and on land. You will also find Dazcats in build operated by Darren Newton. Multihull visitors will find lots of enthusiasts as I did a year ago.
Tks for the tip... yes, UK has a lively multihull scene, indeed. Similarly like I know it in Netherlands (round 400 people there).

Quote:
Pat Patterson, designer of Heavenly twins, started there while he was in Cornwall while we were building my first cat design, 42 ft. Iconoclast for him with he and his wife working alongside my team - way back.
Heavenly twins in Multihull Haven Heaven... :-) sounds great !

Yes, that is an important and relevant aspect. To imagine a hot-spot for multihull boaters can set free lots of positive energy, e.g. new upcoming designers, enthusiastic and talented multihull sailors etc. ...

Infrastructure is very relevant and to have a lively atmosphere around by a multihull community living the spirit of these boat (e.g. I remember the global Wharram community).

Quote:
Happy boating,
Tks... am I going right, that you enjoy the Kiwi multihull spirit ? - Any new exiting projects or do you enjoy retirement under Kiwi sun (so to read on Wikipedia) ?

Have a good day ! - Happy Sailing !
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 13:59   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DerekKelsall
Re: It can't be Planet Earth. - It must be a Multihull Haven Heaven !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip JayR View Post
Its a pleasure to know you here, Derek ! Appreciate your design work. I am not that age (having started sailing in the 70th). Looking back already before that time you had some relevant impacts onto multihull sailing.

Tks... am I going right, that you enjoy the Kiwi multihull spirit ? - Any new exiting projects or do you enjoy retirement under Kiwi sun (so to read on Wikipedia) ?

Have a good day ! - Happy Sailing !
Skip,

thanks for writing a bit of my story - No, no retirement planned yet - too much still to do, and to enjoy. As I look down onto our bit of river and hills from my office, NZ suits well - we (Paula and I) usually spend 2-3 months in US and occasional visits to UK and other countries - family and business.

Our work is spread, thinly, around the World, with Peru builder, Ballotta the most productive. Still finding refinements to KSS, wing masts and twin rigs to design, more power cats and a cat with wheels is about to start build. Watch this space as they say.

It has been a fascinating journey so far with multis going from crazy fringe to almost every on water application you can think of.

Happy boating,

Derek.
DerekKelsall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull