Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2011, 17:06   #1

Boat: Crowther Bucaneer 33, Trevor Banks 44 trimaran
ISO Large Slip in PNW

I am in the process of buying this boat and need a place in the USA, preferably the seattle area to keep her for a mnth or so while I switch the documentation to the USA and prep for cruising. She is 44'x28'. Any hints on where I can keep her would be appreciated. The current berth in Vancouver is $900 a month and I would like something cheaper and more convenient. Also need some info on documentation. I know I can just call the coastguard, but that can be very time consiuming if you don't ask the right questions. she is documented in canada and I hope i can make an easy transition.
AntiqueTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 17:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Re: ISO large slip in PNW

Quote:
I know I can just call the coastguard, but that can be very time consiuming if you don't ask the right questions.
Not really they seem to be very helpful over the past few years. They get paid regular and they have a customer service attitude. It only will cost you a phone call to West Virginia. Just ask the people that will say yes. The only question that is difficult is if it is stolen. They will tell you flat out what you need for the paper work. It helps to know what you will have before you call. Its better than accepting the ideas from members here that have no clue what the situation is and you have provided nothing.

Canada does a nice job documenting. You need to undocument so it can happen.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2011, 17:16   #3

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
Re: ISO Large Slip in PNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiqueTri View Post
. I know I can just call the coastguard, but that can be very time consiuming if you don't ask the right questions. she is documented in canada and I hope i can make an easy transition.

Cool looking boat. Congratulations!

I've been pleasantly surprised with my dealings with the USCG VDC. You never know, of course, but I wouldn't dread it too much. Their FAQ is here: USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page Might help with getting oriented before you contact them. I don't know your motivations for documenting the boat but you may also want to consider just registering it with a state.

Tom.
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote