Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2014, 15:54   #31

Re: Isara 50... :(

There seems to be a lot of armchair boat builders out there that have an opinion, but I know what I like and it looks like one peachy catamaran to me.
We would not want teak decks or the thick interior teak floor and Isara say that they can build it without, if we prefer.
I was not crazy about the stairs either, but the new models will not have the same arrangement. They build the boat to what you want and will even sell you a carbon rig in fact they said that they will produce a sports version in full carbon if you can afford it.
There is so much rubbish being said about the Isara being unfinished. Give them a break, It just had not had the mast fitted or the forward nets. The rest of the boat looked pretty much up together with the plastic Wrapping still on the beds from the factory. The Isara Guys seemed to be taking good care of the owners boat.
Bryguy is right they are cruising cats, but i reckon they may surprise a few people, they seem to know what they are doing. If you tell them to lean towards performance they will oblige, I bet. A great boat and there is nobody out there could tell me otherwise.
They are talking around $960,000 fully equipped and shipped. A lot more than we had planned to spend on a Fountaine Pajot!!!
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 16:04   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsrule View Post
They are talking around $960,000 fully equipped and shipped.
$960,000 fully equipped and shipped for the Isara 50? That's cheaper than the Lagoon 52 fully equipped and shipped. It's probably the same price as the FP Saba 50 fully equipped and shipped.
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 16:13   #33

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
$960,000 fully equipped and shipped for the Isara 50? That's cheaper than the Lagoon 52 fully equipped and shipped. It's probably the same price as the FP Saba 50 fully equipped and shipped.
I was quoted 1.2 million for the one at the Miami Boat show...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 16:24   #34

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Scarlet,

clearly you looked like you could pay more.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 16:30   #35

Quote:
I'm so sorry... I lied. But it wasn't intentional.. I referred to my price sheet and this is what they say..

"The Isara 50 retails fully loaded for $1.4 million USD"

that being said.. they were offering a good deal on the one that was at Annapolis for a discounted rate of $960,000 that's where Cats got his figures from...

Sorry about that...

And Cats... I wasn't insulting your choice at all. You are right.. it is a beautiful boat... I am just learning about boats.. and I ask lots of questions...
Old 13-03-2014, 16:53   #36

$1.4M sounds about right. $960k was for that particular boat as-is I'm sure. Did we confirm it was finished?

What did the price sheet say for the Isara 45?
jostalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 17:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostalli View Post
$1.4M sounds about right. $960k was for that particular boat as-is I'm sure. Did we confirm it was finished?

What did the price sheet say for the Isara 45?
I'm sorry... I don't know..
Old 13-03-2014, 17:52   #38

Boat: Lightwave 45

These confusions are common.

For instance FP Helia base price 375K Euro ex France. Set up for ocean cruising $559K Euro ex France (No VAT, Delivery, Duty or Sales Tax included). A difference of 50%.

Seems to be similar for most builders.

Do not assume a price until you have a fully detailed quote in writing.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2014, 12:12   #39
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

catsrule, because someone questions certain aspects of the design of a boat does not mean that we are 'armchair boat builders' any more than you are. That comment would only make sense if you are the boatbuilder - and I am assuming (hoping) that you are not. In any event, you know what you like and expressed that opinion - surely we can do the same.

While, like others (apparently including yourself), I am not a fan of the spiral staircase, there are other things I do quite like:

- lower berths. Having to virtually pole vault to get on the berths of some cats is something I despise. Typcally they have been raised not to increase storage (which is alreay quite substantial in a cat of that size), but rather to fit over the bridgedeck. See other advantages below.
- berths within the hulls rather than on the bridgedeck - if there is any pounding on the bridgedeck, it is much more comfortable if you are not laying across it. Moreover, by removing berths from the forward part of the bridgedeck, it permits the leading edge of the bridgedeck to be further back and properly tapered so as to reduce the impact of any waves.
- finish - as I have already said, while I have not been on one, from the photos the fit and finish certainly seem to be of a higher standard than comparable Lagoons/FP's.
- layout of the salon/saloon - It provides a large and yet convival seating area with a proper nav station and an appropriately large galley. While I do not like angular interior joinerwork when underway, I am sure that they could at least round the edges of the hi-lo table in future builds.
- small sofas in the aft cabins, rather than sofas in the center of the hulls (which are away from the actual sleeping area and which will seldom, if ever, be used).

I'm still not a fan of the curved aft deck but it would not be a deal killer for me, so long as you could readily hoist the inflatable onto the deck without interfering with the rear passageway/access to the stern steps. I'm also not a fan of the large, closely spaced fixed portlights in the hulls, but realize that this has become a common design trait. Padded vinyl headliners - again, not a fan, but so long as there was a method to remove the panels in order to access the back of deck hardward it also would not be a deal killer. If I could afford the boat, I could certainly afford to have the headliner replaced when it was required.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:29   #40

Boat: Antares 44i

I have to agree with Shakigurl & others who said that the Isara 50 didn't make a lot of sense to them. Nor did it to me.

I saw it in Miami, and while its finishes are very beautiful, it has a huge amount of wasted space, which makes no sense on an ocean-going yacht. The closets and storage space throughout were barely adequate for a charter set-up, and definitely inadequate for a liveaboard situation. I'll be very eager to see BryGuy's 45 when it splashes because he and his wife plan to liveaboard, so no doubt they will improve the design with their specs.

I also wasn't impressed with the galley's setup on the 50. Again, space was not as well designed as it could be, and it doesn't stand up well in comparison with galleys on boats many feet shorter.

The lack of good design extended to the walkways around the boat and the flybridge helm, although the helm on the 45 will be half-up, which should work much better. In Miami, the mast was not installed, by we calculated that in order to have a dodger or bimini above the helm area, the boom would end up being way too high for convenient sail management.

Overall, I see the Isara 50 being a good boat if you want to hang out in the marina entertain on your boat, or if you want to charter (and not bare-boat either). I'm hopeful the 45 will be designed to accommodate the real sailors/liveaboards.

BTW, if anyone is wondering about the hybrid engine option, they should read about the 58 Meter monohull, Ethereal, which Bill Joy's cutting edge hybrid sailboat. Royal Huisman 190: Etheral | Yachting Magazine It's definitely possible.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:56   #41

I must admit I am not a fan of those stairs, looks to exposed to me, but I think the newer designs do not have them and you can get to the fly-bridge directly from the cockpit.
The teak does not do anything for us either and pleased to hear that they do it without, I think it will look a lot nicer without myself.
The storage space was not that great on the cupboard side but Isara have told me that this can be customized for live aboard.
All of the flybridge cats like Lagoon, Sunreef, Privilege and Isara where the boom is much higher always looks a problem to me, but I sailed on a Sunreef 62 last year with a friend of mine and I was surprised how easy it was to handle.
I prefer the stern to be more open like on their new drawings and I like the fact you can strap the tender onto the platform.
If I can get enough cash together to go for the 45 which is $960,000, I will ask for the beds to be higher for extra storage and get some extra closets fitted in the owners suite.
I saw the rig fitted on the 50 they had in Annapolis and it looked sweet, but on the 45 they are moving the mast forward like Lagoon which seems to make sense.
I have been speaking to Graham from Isara who is a real good Guy and at least they seem to be listening to their customers. A friend of ours purchased a Fountaine Pajot from him quite a few years ago when he was a dealer with Fountaine Pajot and we met Graham in La Rochelle, when we helped them collect the boat. He helped them resolve some serious issues with the yard, where he gave them a real hard time to get things fixed. He has his own set up Worldwide Catamarans and is Dealer for Isara now.
catsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 18:18   #42

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
I'm so sorry... I lied. But it wasn't intentional.. I referred to my price sheet and this is what they say..

"The Isara 50 retails fully loaded for $1.4 million USD"

that being said.. they were offering a good deal on the one that was at Annapolis for a discounted rate of $960,000 that's where Cats got his figures from...

Sorry about that...

And Cats... I wasn't insulting your choice at all. You are right.. it is a beautiful boat... I am just learning about boats.. and I ask lots of questions...
Jostalli & Scarlet,
The Isara 50 from the boat show is on Yachtworld for *only* $890K. Apparently, it's never been used or sailed, which is not a vote of confidence in this new design/brand.
EllesBelles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 01:59   #43

OMG!!! I love a sale! I hope I have enough room left on my credit card..
Old 21-05-2014, 06:04   #44

Boat: having an Isara 45 cat built

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllesBelles View Post
Jostalli & Scarlet,
The Isara 50 from the boat show is on Yachtworld for *only* $890K. Apparently, it's never been used or sailed, which is not a vote of confidence in this new design/brand.
Just so there is no misunderstanding, the Isara 50 on Yachtworld is a 2 year old boat; not the same new boat that was in the 2014 Miami show. And it's not an "owners version" like the ad says. I've been on that boat and it's a typical 4 cabin 4 head layout. The true owners version NEW boat was at the 2014 Miami show. I also see on a Yachtworld a Prout 50 and a Leopard 48 with little to no use; must be those brands don't get your vote of confidence either due to the changes of circumstances. New boats (especially new models) take a long time to arrive at the dock from the time you put down a deposit. Plenty of time for life circumstances to change (sickness, death, divorce, etc). Those personal changes don't change whether it was a good boat to start with. If you don't like the Isara, that's okay...go buy a different boat instead of throwing the brand under the bus just because someone is selling their 2 year old boat.
bryguy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 06:33   #45

Hi Bry!!!
How's the build going? Do you think it will be done by Annapolis? Soooo excited to see it....