Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2012, 04:31   #16
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Re: INFO Solaris 42 Ketch

Laforge, if you are looking for a cruising cat with decent performance at a lower price, have you considered the Comanche 32, or Cherokee 35 that were built by Sailcraft in England in the 70's? Both were well-built and the Cherokee 35 was stretched and otherwise modified (twin diesels, cutter rig, etc.) to produce my boat, the Solaris Sunstream 40. While not produced in large numbers, there are often examples available in Europe.

You should also keep in mind that one advantage to a smaller cat is that the costs of upgrades/maintenance should also be smaller. In other words, the costs on a Solaris 42 can be expected to be about the same as on my boat (and likely more, as many are 20 years older than my boat). The cost for smaller sails, servicing/replacing a single engine instead of two, etc., should result is significant savings post purchase on a 32 foot boat.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 04:57   #17

Boat: Punch 1010 36ft

This is why I am here!!! I don't know all these models nor their capabilities, I search the web for a 'rightpriced' multihull, which if priced right I can re-make to what I really need,
a sitting area for 8 is somewhat ridiculous when alone or couple, and No I have not yet come across a Comanche or Cherokee, what for me is most important to know is what are their sail capacities, once I know that I could focus on a search for the chosen model, even importing a US based multi could in that case forfill my wishes,
It always comes down to it's price/state.. rather cheap and buy new sales then expensive with 9y.old sails, engines I can replace/repair, sails more difficult, look at this Punch, problem is; there's only the hull, I think here we pay for the cute mooring!
Catamaran punch de 12 m 50 Nautisme Hérault - leboncoin.fr
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 06:25   #18
CF Adviser

Laforge, here is a Comanche 35 in Canada that looks to be in superb shape:

Comanche For Sale

Asking more than you want to pay, but it also says 'must sell by September....'

Brad
Old 30-08-2012, 06:29   #19
CF Adviser

And here is a Comanche 32 in France for only 36,000 euro:

Fiche bateau d'occasion CATAMARAN COMANCHE 32, SAIL CRAFT - Détails du bateau et photos

Brad
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42   #20

Boat: Punch 1010 36ft

Thanks Southern, have been hunting the net after similar comanches, because this model seems to be a great comprimise between the catalac and solaris, unfortunately the US version is way above my budget and would have to be imported into CEE, the european link looks dead maybe sold, but found third one in turkey; McAlpine-Downey Comanche 32 boat for sale
but after having contacted 'waterside' this link seems to be dead too, quite strange to see 3 similar boats with so much difference; 1 has double inboards, 2 has double outboards, 3 has single inboard, thanks for mentioning this model, I continue my hunt!
laforge24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 14:49   #21

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

Any new thoughts on this older thread? I'm looking seriously at a Solaris 42 sloop. (Was a Ketch).

Ty
“If you end up with a boring miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on television telling you how to do your ****, then you deserve it.” ― Frank Zappa
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ketch