Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2019, 03:58   #1

Boat: Leopard 40
how far west SC

Hello all, Im currently in Beaufort NC, and my work is going to relocate to Columbia SC. Thats a stretch to drive to boat on weekends. I want to move my boat as close as I can toward Columbia so my question is how far past Charleston can I take a 40 Catamaran west towards Columbia before bridges or shallow water stop me?

Thanks for any help
FV Black Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 05:20   #2

Re: how far west SC

Look at a chart?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Look at a chart?
No I havnt, I hoped someone knew.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:43   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Power or sail? Air draft?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:59   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

Not very far, if you want to go NW, which is basically as the crow flies from Charleston to Columbia. I'm betting your mast is too tall to get under the Rt. 17 bridge on the Ashely. I forget how high it is but I'm 55' and can't get under it. You can probably get farther up the Cooper River.

That said, I for one would rather drive farther, to a place I can actually use the boat than to have to motor down miles of river to sailable water.

There are a couple of good marinas on the Stono River as well, which would be worth a look
Old 10-06-2019, 13:30   #6

Boat: J-24; J-105

As Suijin says you are probably better off driving to Charleston, Edisto, Beaufort/ Hilton Head to use the boat. Is about an hour and a half drive. On the other hand you can maybe get the boat all the way up into Lake Murray going up the Cooper River. There is the Hwy 52 bridge just below the dam that may be an issue. I could not find its airdraft but it is fairly high as commercial traffic does use this waterway. There is also a train trestle that swings open. Not sure how you find a schedule for them.
Wannabes00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabes00n View Post
As Suijin says you are probably better off driving to Charleston, Edisto, Beaufort/ Hilton Head to use the boat. Is about an hour and a half drive. On the other hand you can maybe get the boat all the way up into Lake Murray going up the Cooper River. There is the Hwy 52 bridge just below the dam that may be an issue. I could not find its airdraft but it is fairly high as commercial traffic does use this waterway. There is also a train trestle that swings open. Not sure how you find a schedule for them.
Thanks for replies, I have a mast 63, draft 3.5ft.... I do contract work for a company. Normally its just a few weeks and then off work awhile, but this time I will be stuck in Columbia for several months and would like to work on boat weekends. Boat is at Jarrett Bay but that's quite a drive for weekend trip. I guess I would do better to try to find place in Charleston and commute to there... thanks again.