Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2007, 17:52   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Well, the following account is not as heavy as what you may be looking for, but it is still a pretty detailed description of a 52' cat going from Hobart to Nelson. Looks like that had some fun: On this sixth day of our passage from Hobart, Tasmania to Nelson, New Zealand, the winds had been blowing in the mid to high 30

Some photos here: Thumbnails

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 13:23   #17

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
Once on the last day of a charter, we had to get the PDQ 32 back to Blue Lagoon in St. Vincent from Port Elizabeth in Bequia. The wind was 30 to 40 knots apparent and the waves were 12to 14 ft. By motorsailing (9 hp Yamaha's) and cracking off about an extra 10 degrees it was manageable but very exciting. I was being yelled at by the admiral and the commodore, especially when we got knocked off a top of a wave and ended up going 60 degrees in another direction.

It was something I would not regularly do, but I felt safe and it proved what a tough little boat the PDQ 32 is.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:41   #18

Adlard Coles "Heavy Weathger Sailing" (5th edition) has a report from a 10M cat in upto 15M breaking waves and 60knot winds.
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:16   #19

I am thankful for all of the input. I agree that avoidance is judicious, however in long passages I have made (all in monohulls) it is not always possible to run and/or hide from bad (I mean real bad) weather. Has anyone ever heard of a trysail being installed on a Catamaran?
Old 04-09-2007, 06:46   #20

they set a trysail and storm jib on the 10m cat I refer to above
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:30   #21

Boat: 1977 Kelly Peterson 44
good responses

Well mostly... I figured someone would get defensive even though I said I'm seriously considering a cat. There's some good links in there and plenty of reading to do. Keep em coming!

Oh and by the way if there are any cat owners anywhere near southeast Georgia who would like to the opportunity to take a monohuller out for a ride let me know. I'd be most willing crew!

-Thanks
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:08   #22

Sundog,
I was following some other forums but never seemed to get serious responses to my questions. This forum has been especially helpful because I not only get thoughtful responses but they are from catamaran sailors! I am also interested in the opinions of monohullers that have considered Catamarans but chose to stay mono.
It is a great forum in my humble opinion that is based on my short exposure here.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:56   #23

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by libellula View Post
Sundog,
I was following some other forums but never seemed to get serious responses to my questions. This forum has been especially helpful because I not only get thoughtful responses but they are from catamaran sailors! I am also interested in the opinions of monohullers that have considered Catamarans but chose to stay mono.
It is a great forum in my humble opinion that is based on my short exposure here.

Ditto....................
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote