Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2022, 13:57   #16

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder
Re: Hanstaiger $5mm Trimaran and Danger Zones

It looks to me like a millionaire's fantasy.
I suspect the interior designer has never been to sea in rough conditions.
Wide open spaces with no handholds and sharp corners on furnishings.
Ouch!
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:14   #17

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

I understand that it's important to have a piano on board - every boat should have one - but I do hope it's appropriately secured.
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:20   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I have mentioned in my posts the term hobby horsing several times. To see what I mean, check out the at 10:36 to 10:39. Notice how much she is rocking back in forth in almost calm seas.

Jay Kantola, who designed my vessel, must have pondered how to prevent hobby horsing long and hard.

1. He placed almost all heavy weight well aft of the mast. In fact, all big weight including water, fuel, batteries, galley, engine, engine room are behind the vessel's midpoint. This weight distribution creates a force pushing the stern down and pulling the bow up. The only thing forward of the midpoint is the mast, light weight empty ama, berths, and the anchor locker.

2. The bows were designed so they were both wider and longer the higher you went above the normal waterline. Thus the more the vessel tipped forward, the greater the righting movement. This vessel has very low righting movement and dips easily and deep into the sea.

3. Kantola designed the stern of my central hull very wide and almost flat. In fact the area of the central hull was so wide and flat that I couldn't sleep in the "owner's" cabin. Each time my vessel would rock backwards, it slammed onto the water spraying it outward to the sides. Inside, it was very unpleasant and created a large booming sound. But there was a good reason to design the hull in this manner. The hull shape prevented the stern from dipping backwards. This vessel was designed with a narrow central hull that is set deeply into the water to provide access for the dinghy.

Now, I want you to look very closely at this photograph of the Hanstaiger X1 and tell me what you notice.

Is the vessel hobby horsing so much on a relatively calm day that seawater is entering the main living area from the rear? I'm not sure. If it was raining, why is only the center door closed?

However, I am sure the vessel has a weight distribution issue. All that forward glass weighs a ton. Further, the hull shape in the front and rear encourage hobby horsing.

I am sorry to write I think that even if all the weight is taken off the forward bow, hobby horsing will not stop. Therefore, before buying this vessel to go cruising with your loved ones, take them out in heavy seas. You wouldn't want their first experience aboard the vessel to be their last.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 03:43   #19

For sure struts and cutlasses would be needed here ! Big risk of vibration, shaft warpage, damages with floating objects

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
My primary concerns are:
#5 Shaft, propeller, and rudder design.

It's pretty. But sorry this will not work for a cruising sailboat.

#1 I like the fact there is redundancy. However, there is not double the chance of having a host of problems.

#2 The propeller is really fancy! Folding, variable blah blah blah. However, this is not a racing boat. What you are doing is placing a propeller aboard that can't be fixed remotely. Further it is totally unprotected. I found a simple fixed prop perfect for a non-racing sailboat.

#3 The unsupported shaft length is not acceptable. One bump from a small log would damage both the prop that can't be repaired and the shaft which must now be removed. Try that while in the water! At minimum drop a strut and add two cutlass bearings within the strut. The prop should be about 6" from the end of the strut.

#4 Yes I like the tiny short rudder. The rudder on my vessel was almost 8 feet tall. However, if this totally unprotected rudder is lost, and chances are now twice, this vessel may not steer. I am strongly in favor of changing to a rudder that can steer this vessel.

#5 A short daggerboard in front of the shaft will deflect most logs away before they hit the new strut, prop, and rudder. Despite the fact I had just such a dagger board, I still suffered prop damage when I hit something.
EWOL Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 08:29   #20
Marine Service Provider

I located a discussion about the Hanstaiger X1 on Sailing Anarchy.

That thread began back in October 2019. They cite many things I have already cited. They also identified the rig on the vessel.

I admit I'm more than a little pedantic. If topics like hull shape, slamming, cleaning anchor chains, and hobby horsing don't interest you, by all means tune me out.

For those of you still interested, look closely at the first photograph. It appears to be a nice sailing day and the sea state is quite calm. Notice the huge spray coming from between the hulls. The aka's of the vessel clearly slammed into the sea. This isn't exactly slicing serenely through the waves like the videographer suggests. Certainly, this generated a very large noise inside. Further, anyone seated in those luxury seats topside would be drenched by spray by now.

The reasons the aka of this vessel slam into sea are:
  • Low clearance of the aka
  • Hobby horsing
  • Hull shape and weight distribution

It now appears to me that 3 of these vessels have been built. I captured a screen shot from a tourist video of a Hanstaiger X1 in a marina. I wonder why there is a huge stainless steel plate across the aka.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanstaiger aka slams into sea in near calm conditions.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	253211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanstaiger Aka Stainless plate.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	253212  

Old 19-02-2022, 08:41   #21

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Rant:

Things like this ugly duckling happen to exist if you task over self confident architects or designers without any knowledge of yachts or navigation (= sailing the seven seas) with designing a boat.

A floating apartment is only a floating apartment not a seaworthy boat.

Involve an experienced yacht designer, who is not desperate to take any job available, and it won't happen.

Other examples are from the drawing boards of Philippe Starck...
Old 19-02-2022, 08:52   #22
Marine Service Provider

Oh cool I found two more sets of stairs to fall down. These stairs are from the owner's berth down to the head located below the bed. I am big on falling down the stairs. I just love getting up in the middle of the night and going down two flights of stairs with no railings aboard a boat that hobby horses.

What a good idea to use this for rental income and get sued by the renters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanstaiger Owners Suite Stairs no railings.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	253214  
Old 21-02-2022, 08:52   #23

Luxurious boat
hkapoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2022, 08:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
My primary concerns are:
#1 Safe access to sails and rigging.

Despite what the owner of the firm says in a video, there is no escaping the fact a cruising sailing boats requires safe access to all rigging and sails.

Obviously, there is the sloped surface on the bow, however, also notice the sloped surface below the bow. The connection points at the ama are also not safe. Glazing appears strong enough to stand on, however, would you stand on sloped wet slippery surface with nothing to prevent you falling overboard.

Suggestions:

1. A cruising version of this vessel requires far more safety protection to prevent someone from going overboard. Horizontal spacing or safety lines must prevent someone from slipping under railings that need to be added. There must be several latch points for crew/owner to safely tie on to descend to the bow wearing safety harnesses.

2. It might be possible for the top layer of the double layered glazing to have deep groove or tall raised bumps to provide traction.

3. There needs to be a strong attachment point for an inner stay sail.

4. Under no circumstances should anyone suggest this vessel ever fly a spinnaker. The manufacturer appears to have already realized this. I used to fly multiple sails downwind by making attachments to the ama. I suggest the manufacturer add both attachment points to the ama bows and rigging lines to raise/lower additional downwind sails.

5. The bows of the ama need full protection on this vessel owing to the bow shape. Therefore, the current sailing system, looks pretty, but is not safe. Safe access to the tip of the ama bow is needed when docking and anchoring on a three-point mooring.
Some of those features are right out of racing. The curved decks repell water thus the boat is lighter. That is the latest in IMOCA 60 world. On a boat like that everything is run aft to the cockpit. The only reason to go forward would be for anchoring.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 01:28   #25

Boat: Mumby 48

Don't stress every one, it's not real! It's just a joke! Right? Right?.....Right?

Watch the video of this thing "sailing". There is quite a bit of wind, it barely moves and the motion is terrible. This thing will never be sailed and it's unlikely to ever leave the dock, so you needn't worry about practicality.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2022, 07:33   #26

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
Don't stress every one, it's not real! It's just a joke! Right? Right?.....Right?

Watch the video of this thing "sailing". There is quite a bit of wind, it barely moves and the motion is terrible. This thing will never be sailed and it's unlikely to ever leave the dock, so you needn't worry about practicality.

Looks like a very practical house boat.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger, trimaran