Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2011, 07:14   #16
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Flooring Ideas for the Salon ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewofnoka View Post
Thanks for the pictures smj - it looks really nice. So, you haven't had any trouble with moisture getting into the seams? I will have to look closer at cork now.
Never had a problem with any aspect of the cork floor. I believe the brand we used was Lisbon. You can see it on the lumber liquidators website.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 22:01   #17

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

On a Searunner tri, all floorboards are removeable to gain access to capacious bilge storage. I am converting from nonskid painted plywood with wood/ply trusses, to much lighter 1/2" fiberglassed high density foam, nonskidded, with 1 X 2 rectangular aluminum tubing with 1" diameter lightening holes. I calculate I'll save almost 200 pounds. Wood soles are slippery when wet. I use slip-proof rubber backing under throw rugs in port to keep the tootsies warm in cold weather.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 22:45   #18

Boat: Top Hat Mk 2 25 foot

I have timber floor in the saloon which has worn through the clear coating in places.

Any ideas how to fix it?

There are darker stripes on it as well which seem to be just for show which have worn through also.
Aussie Sealady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 06:36   #19

Boat: Panda/Baba 40

Like I wrote, I had put Lonseal down over an old delaminating T+H veneer. It installs easy and looks pretty good, if you don't pay too much attention to it. It cleans easy, and it even has a kind of 'grain' to it. Problem is, it looks TOO perfect, and always brand new. It was pretty inexpensive. I think it cost about $300 to do the entire sole. With a few throw rugs over it, it works.

So, if easy install and low maint are what you're after, Lonseal is a good choice. If you're someone who is anal about asthetics and tradition, skip it, and go for traditional T+H.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 08:50   #20

Boat: Prout 2009 45' Sailing Catamaran

We purchased a beautiful 2009 Prout 45’ Sailing Catamaran. She was built in Thailand, so her wood joinery work inside and out is just fantastic. She looks very elegant. That said, she had Bamboo interlocking wood floors, the kind used as flooring in homes, laid throughout the Salon and lower hulls. We had them refinished in Ensenada, Mexico, before bringing her around to the East Coast. Them I foolishly had them covered with the blue plastic covering to protect them from the wear and tear of the hard delivery. BIG MISTAKE! Boats get wet, but when the floors were covered, they didn’t dry. When she delivered, and we un-covered the floors, they were cupped, warped, mildewed, and basically ruined. What a mess. We ended up having the all pulled out, as well as the sub-floor, and had a lighter weight sub-floor laid, including for the Hatches, and then had an Amtico (very thin pliable plastic that is glued on top of the sub-floor) Bamboo and American Cherry inlay’s installed. Our cost for materials, labor, and 26 hatch pulls, with finishing Aluminum trim around each hatch (13 Hatches total) was right about $11,000 US. Tear-out and re-install time took about three-weeks. If I had the time and could have done it myself, it would have been about $1,500 for materials and at least 1 ½ - 2 months of my time. By the way, we ended up removing almost 900 lbs from the Boat weight between removing the old plywood sub-floor and wood floors, compared to the newer light-weight subfloor and Amtico! I’ll try to post a picture of the finished project…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	32212   Click image for larger version

Name:	Persistence Naming 186.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	32213  

RobertR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags