Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2011, 16:04   #271
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Re: Fast Cruising Catamarans - How Fast ?

Our top speed recorded on the instruments was 21kn, riding (more accurantely being propelled by!) 5M seas north of NZ with ~40% genoa only and winds ~45kn. We were actually propelled off the record-breaking wave so quickly that we overtook and slammed into the wave ahead...incredible sensation and noise, but we'll be happy not to repeat it!

Surfing speeds in the mid-to-high teens were fairly common.
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:13   #272

I guess i mean like boats that are advertised, never thouhgt of custom ones, but really unless its a Race cat or Trimaran how fast can we go safely ? Since i came from Mono Life, I say anything over 8knts Its freaken Insane without trying! We use to tweak change sails and backstay tentions, it was crazy just to get a 1/8 of a knot! Now since i have been on cats trimarans , I feel i have been missing out! So now i bought a little 21 ft Reynolds for my first Multihull later in life i would love a 65 ft something dont know yet what kind!
son_of_a_sailor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:18   #273

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Outremer is still tops. There are so many semi custom builders that do a boat a year that it's hard to count them as a factory or production builder and I'm sure that a few might outpace Outremer but even then not many. An Outremer 55 Light will regularly do 20 knots but it I've heard that it can get to be too much on your peace of mind. 10 to 12 knots is normal in a good breeze and 200+ mile days are a regular event. The accomodations are spartan but it is a full on cruiser with everything you need. Gregor Tarjan writes in his book (get this book) about sailing at 20 knots on autopilot while crossing the Atlantic and hitting 28 knots in a Out 64. And he talks about passing almost the entire fleet in the first upwind leg of the around Long Island race. Yes, he's an Outremer dealer but if you think he's lying try racing one.

BOB
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:34   #274
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ineresting data point from ARC - 220 miles/day average (in round numbers) for pretty stripped 50' tri (with 5 racing sailors) and (just a tad slower) fully crewed (looks like 9 aboard) 66' gunboat. So, in cruising mode (with fewer sailors) the average would be somewhat slower.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:01   #275

wow yes i know 20 knots is fast i have done 22knts on a F28r it is insane! i couldnt imagine anything more! you feel like your gonna fly off the boat!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:06   #276

Here's another Outremer story from Tarjans book. Do you have this book? Get it. REFERENCE BOOK: “CATAMARANS, The Complete Guide for Cruising Sailors” - Aeroyacht
In the 2003 RAC (Rubicon Antigua Challenge) their start was delayed by 2 days because of the delivery of an Epirb to a neighboring island. So the entire fleet had a 2 day head start. They started the race in a stock Outremer 45 and by the end of the 13 day crossing had passed just about everybody including 80' Swans and Oysters. That's 2700 NM in 13 days.
Very impressive for a stock cruiser. BOB
Old 02-12-2011, 12:50   #277
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I to like the Outremer but also partial to the Freydis and Schionnings. For some reason the Gunboats just don't do a whole lot for me.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56   #278
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Admiral 38 catamaran

We have an Admiral 38. Our top speed to date is 16.9 knots while surfing a wave in the south Atlantic. During that trip from Cape Town to Brazil we averaged close to 200 miles per day. The boat never felt out of control and we never slammed into a wave. In the Caribbean we typically average 9-11 knots on a beam reach with 20 knots of trade winds. This past summer we were doing 9 knots in 18 knots of wind of the coast of Maine while on a charter with 8 adults aboard, fully loaded with 125 gal of water and 125 gal of fuel. Our boat also carries a diesel generator, 2 air conditioners, water maker, two frig-freezers, 10 foot dingy, two kayaks, a bicycle and an all wood interior.
makana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 05:08   #279

So have we determined the fastest Cruising CAT yet?
Old 28-12-2011, 05:20   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
Sailing fast: It is not really cruising is it? Like mentioned above, at any speed in the low teens and up the boat is passing some of the waves. The helmsperson will not be cruising but rather more focused. Steering errors are answered with uncomfortable situations and possibly gear breakage.

More important for cruising is making good progress in the slow conditions that prevail in the popular cruising areas. Most overburdened cruising boats perform poorly (read 'no fun') in light conditions.

Going fast in any boat is mostly about leaving the crap behind. Freezers and garlic presses come to mind....
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 13:02   #281

I agree, being able to sail at acceptable speed in fairly light conditions is what I was looking for. We've haven't yet hit 20 knots, and possibly never will. 18 was fine, but I don't think I'd do that for long either.

Beam reaching in around 10 knot conditions we can sail within a knot of windspeed, and we do have a freezer AND a garlic press!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 10:48   #282
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

I hope to never have to live on a boat where a garlic press is considered vital.
Old 29-12-2011, 10:54   #283

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I hope to never have to live on a boat where a garlic press is considered vital.
We carry a double duty garlic press, It's used also as a hammer it works for other things too

We have recently removed about 1000 pounds of stuff like computer books and just stuff we found we never used or had 2 of, our boat is lots more responsive in light air now .
Old 29-12-2011, 11:24   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_a_sailor3 View Post
If we only look at cruising cats made by companies who are continuously in production and not all the customs and one offs then they are:

1. Gunboat. Fastest and you're going to pay for it.
2. Atlantic. At about half the price of a GB a surprisingly good value.
3. Outremer. Best bang for the buck.
After that it gets a little muddy because the performance paramaters even out. BOB
Old 29-12-2011, 11:41   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
I hope to never have to live on a boat where only equipment considered vital is carried.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising