Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 19:24   #1

Boat: Shopping for catamaran
costs of sails?

Thought I might give a try here before I start calling sail lofts…

How much would a good set of laminate cruising sails cost for a 50ft ish cat… I am trying to understand what a refit would cost of a 7 or 8 year old boat. I would also be like to know what it cost to replace the standing rigging and if any one has any experience with Aramid or like for standing rigging.

Brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 22:04   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
Thought I might give a try here before I start calling sail lofts…

How much would a good set of laminate cruising sails cost for a 50ft ish cat… I am trying to understand what a refit would cost of a 7 or 8 year old boat. I would also be like to know what it cost to replace the standing rigging and if any one has any experience with Aramid or like for standing rigging.
Spectra main with goodies $30k, spectra jib $13k, solent $10k, reacher $12k, storm jib $7k, assy kite $14k, need more?

Our last quote for nitronic was $18k I would guess double for synthetic.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:29   #3

Joli,

What is the difference between a solent, reacher, & screecher?

Thanks
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:59   #4
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Joli, the prices seem a bit high for the storm jib (which is probably better made from a heavy weight dacron than synthetic), solent (ditto if used only as a heavy air sail) and the assymetrical (nylon). Otherwise, seems about right considering the prices I am paying for new sails on the much smaller rig on my 40 foot cat.

Brandywine, if you have a particular production boat in mind, you can get online quotes from various sources for many boats.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
One thing to check is that your sail-maker actually understands multis, the forces and pressures involved are subtlety different and you really need sail-maker that has at least sailed a few multis. In Australia, particulalrly my part of the country, we have quite a few good multi sail-makers to choose from.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:08   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
A new main and jib for the FastCat 455 total 120 squire meters of sail costs $ 20.000,00 for 3 D sails and around 11.000,00 for a high quality dacron
Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45   #7

Location: Brisbane after cruising (Atlantic -> Med -> Carib -> Pacific)
Boat: Vancouver 36, Hobie 33, Catana 48, now all with new owners
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
One thing to check is that your sail-maker actually understands multis, the forces and pressures involved are subtlety different and you really need sail-maker that has at least sailed a few multis. In Australia, particulalrly my part of the country, we have quite a few good multi sail-makers to choose from.
I'd second this - make sure your sailmaker understands multihull sails. The person who made the main for the PO on my boat did not.

I'm sure there are lots of good sailmakers around who know multihulls - One I've worked with who seems good is Dave Calvert in FL. Calvert Sails - Multihull Performance Sails for Racing and Cruising. I was very happy with his service and help, and with the final sail.

The new main he built for our 48' Catana, 900 sq ft in Pentex with 3 reefs, full battens, and all new Harken cars was around $14K a couple of years ago. The new mast hardware and track added another $1.5K to that. I was replacing the in boom furling main the boat had when I bought it.

Mark.
mark_morwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaco View Post
Joli,

What is the difference between a solent, reacher, & screecher?

Thanks
Reacher/screecher...same thing, large reacher on its own luff (spectra). Solent is a smaller jib inside the working jib (tall and narrow so the loads will be high due do to aspect ratios.

As Factor said the loads will be higher for a cat so make sure you don't skimp on material. 50 foot will be spectra or some variant....

Cheers,

Joli
Old 03-05-2008, 06:58   #9

Boat: Shopping for catamaran
I was guessing about 30K for the set... I will check with some of the on line tools.

Anyone have any recommendations for US lofts, probably in Florida to make sails for a largish cat?
Brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:16   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandywine View Post
I was guessing about 30K for the set... I will check with some of the on line tools.

Anyone have any recommendations for US lofts, probably in Florida to make sails for a largish cat?
Our main is Spectra ~ 1000 sq ft for a mono and I would guess a 50 foot cat will be close to that size but a heavier material. llak to a sailmaker and get hard quotes, thats the best.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
A new main and jib for the FastCat 455 total 120 squire meters of sail costs $ 20.000,00 for 3 D sails and around 11.000,00 for a high quality dacron
Gideon
Gideon, Where do you have your sails made, Europe, SA or even China. As you know I am considering a Fusion and want to keep it as light as possible but would also want a good set of sails, what material should I be thinking of using, bearing in mind I will not be racing (unless it is off the cuff if you know what I mean) but want to be able to get some good speed.
Also I think they would be smaller that the Fastcat 435, they are Main 64 sqm, Solent 24.5 sqm, screecher 60 sqm.
Thanks Ian
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 22:13   #12

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
It is all going to depend on where you get them from, some of my ROTC buddies have let me do some sailing on their boats if I help install new gear and we usually end up searching the web for hours and coming back to a site called nautical expo they have lists of suppliers for everything from wood screws to boats.