Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 12:52   #1

Chris White Designs Info?

I'm looking particularly at input on Tris. A few years ago, Chris told me a new Explorer 44 would start at about $150K USD. Both Junipers are sitting up for sale on Yachtworld, and I know I'm not the only windowlicker drooling over here. Has anyone gone to survey either of them? Juniper looks a little worse for the wear, but at $107K, doesn't sound bad for a respected 50' tri.

I've browsed through 15,000 boats on yachtworld over the past few weeks, just to get base ideas of how owners have set up thier yachts, to compare prices, and designs. I capped at $225K (just to look at nicer versions of a few base boats), sail, over 30'. I've sailed Hobie 16's and Capri 25's and while I still appreciate the lines and history that make up the beauty of monohulls, ever since I've read The Cruising Multihull, I've been enamored with Chris's designs and philosophies. That book enabled me to shed traditional housing in Texas, to downsize to fit into a 32' gooseneck tiny house in order to someday move out to the coast (now in Central Oregon, closer!) and resume sailing. I've also seen those Newick tris sitting on YW. I like the open bridgedeck design cats as well. Sorry, off topic.

I want your owner reviews! How have you sailed them (single-handed, crew/family full-time)? I know there are a few Explorer 44 owners out there somewhere too. Can four people comfortably coexist for long periods of time in such designs? This is still 12' longer than our current living situation, with wider beam (8.5').
steveth3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 15:14   #2

Re: Chris White Designs Info?

Absolutely love our Explorer 44. We have lived aboard for about 5 years. I think that Juniper is an incredible deal at that price, and an incredible boat!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 16:15   #3

What great boats. Nearly ideal in so many respects. Hard for me to understand why they haven't been more influential.

I guess maybe they are nearly ideal for me as opposed to the mass market. What a shame. The mass market does not know what they are missing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1172.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	139900  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 16:27   #4

Works for me! But, no washer and dryer, ice maker, air conditioner etc., etc.
Old 20-01-2017, 16:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
really this sailing stuff is highly over rated
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 18:52   #6

Quote:
I mean, I generally wear two pairs of pants and two long sleeve shirts interchangeably, with undies and short sleeves more regularly changed. A/C? Meh. Made it through an El Paso summer without one (and swamp coolers through two previous). Shade and a breeze work wonders. I still don't have a/c in my tiny house, but added an overhang to the porch to prevent most of the afternoon sun from breaching the glass on the front door. I figure with proper shade set-up over the boat (not just covering windows), it'll work wonders. Beer helps cool the rest.
Old 20-01-2017, 18:55   #7

Quote:
Absolutely love our Explorer 44. We have lived aboard for about 5 years. I think that Juniper is an incredible deal at that price, and an incredible boat!
How is your rig set up? I've heard the stay-less set-up on Carisa isn't ideal.
Old 20-01-2017, 20:13   #8

Chris White Designs Info?

Normal tripod rig. Don't know that I'd go for the freestanding masts, but Juniper has stayed masts.
As Chris White says, " for some, only a tri will do!"
Old 21-01-2017, 06:50   #9

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Chris changed the rig on Juniper to use stays. Carissa has the original rig. You can read Chris' rationale in his book. We thought pretty hard about Carissa, the hull/cabin improvements are nice, but we would have had to change the rig.

And while I still lust after the big tris, we're very happy with the sailing ability of our cat, and the accommodations are far superior.

Cheers,