Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2010, 12:00   #1

Cats in Oahu ?

Hi all,
I'm (obviously) new to this forum, but my fiance and I are excited about cruising. We are headed to Oahu next week and were thinking about chartering a ride on a cat to get the feel. I'm a powerboater in my previous life, and my fiance has less experience, but we're water lovers and eager.

I found myself wondering if anyone on the forum would have a tip for us regarding any cruisers that live in Oahu, or maybe currently visiting. It would be great to meet with some real cruisers (not a vendor) and spend some time and maybe go on a sail?

I didn't know where else to post this (we're not exactly a crew at this point). Thanks for any advice! Cheers
biff09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 14:32   #2

Here is a link to charter outfits in Hawaii.

Hawaii Sailing Charters

In so far as hooking up with cruisers who are interested in inviting unknown strangers into their home and taking them out sailing? I couldn't even imagine where to start looking for that one. Perhaps walk the docks at Ilikai marina with a couple of scantily clad hotties in tow and offer some free beers to a bloke aboard his boat that seems interested?? Outside of that, I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

Hopefully the charter list helps get ya started!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 16:02   #3

Call me crazy, call me idealistic, or just call me a completely normal person thinking this forum is probably much better at bringing folks together in common interest than providing a hunting ground for really nasty people to take advantage of folks living aboard :-)

All that being said, I can completely understand folks being nervous about meeting other people from these (or any other) forums. So no disrespect to you (I'm assuming here) or any other folks who take your stance.

And lastly I'll fall back on one of my mantra's -- You can't win if you don't play. I certainly wouldn't have an opportunity to meet any cruisers if I didn't put it out there.

Cheers, and thanks for the list...
Old 13-11-2010, 16:45   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Lots of day charters available........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 17:27   #5

Boat: 31' Corsair/Farrier(RIP) trimaran. Lauwersmeer Cruiser in Europe canals. 19' Lightning
If you went to Maui

On Maui out of Lahina we had a great, fast charter on a 47' Conser day charter cat. 16+ knots, yehaa! Higher speeds were advertised if you took their evening speed charter. We did the day snorkle/dive trip to Molokia. It was great. Name was Paragon Charters but again its on Maui. Have fun.
ejlindahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 19:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff09 View Post

And lastly I'll fall back on one of my mantra's -- You can't win if you don't play. I certainly wouldn't have an opportunity to meet any cruisers if I didn't put it out there.

Cheers, and thanks for the list...
Sorry if I've somehow offended? I was being sincere about both the walk down Ilikai marina, as well as not personally being able to conceive of another reliable method. I'm never one to try to dampen anyones can do spirit! I'm definitely a firm believer in "Ask. The worst you can get is No."

I will offer this little tidbit: often when cruisers arrive in port where they plan to spend a bit of time, they setup their moorage as their base of operations and don't move their boat until they are ready to depart for their next port of call. So "day sails" are usually out of the norm. The boat is both their home, as well as method of transit. Day sailing offers additional unnecessary exposure to risk that can take away ones home whilst rendering repairs, as well as delay intended departures. Hopefully that helps shed a bit of light on part of why I found difficulty in providing you any reliable direction in which to seek out that part of the equation.

If you'd like a reference indicating where cruising boats are at currently, then Sailblogs SailBlogs Member Login offers a google earth map for all it's registered cruisers? Perhaps it's worth a shot trying to strike up a conversation? Best of Luck!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 21:12   #7

[QUOTE=Aussiesuede;559621]Sorry if I've somehow offended? I was being sincere about both the walk down Ilikai marina, as well as not personally being able to conceive of another reliable method. I'm never one to try to dampen anyones can do spirit! I'm definitely a firm believer in "Ask. The worst you can get is No."[QUOTE]

No, I'm certainly not offended, but thanks for the follow up! It definitely helps me see your frame of reference more!

Quote:
If you'd like a reference indicating where cruising boats are at currently, then Sailblogs SailBlogs Member Login offers a google earth map for all it's registered cruisers? Perhaps it's worth a shot trying to strike up a conversation? Best of Luck!
This is brilliant! Thanks very much! Cheers, and off for a beer!
Old 14-11-2010, 11:10   #8

Boat: Tartan T4400
As stated beofre the best way is to walk the docks. If you are a member of a yacht club bot Waikiki and Hawaii will give you a temp card as a visitor. You can then talk to the fols at the bar. No many cruisers here in Hi. Most of the people head to/from the south pacific are here in the summber.
There are some beach catch set up for short sails for the tourist. Also a larger cat Makani out of Kewalo basin. It is also a touris boat but would sail more like a cruising cat.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 18:12   #9

Boat: Atlantic 42 Catamaran
IMO the day charter cats from the beach or out of Kewalo are good fun for the money and a sure thing when it comes to getting sail. Sail Makani, Honolulu Hawaii is a nice ride.

If you are serious about buying a boat you might get a broker to give you a tour or two. There is a rather nice St Francis 43 for sale right next to me that would make my short list if I were in the market. http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...ng_id=2065&url

Tom
tsmwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 18:57   #10

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome,
It is Ala Wai Yacht Harbor near the Ilikai Hotel Just across the street and over the bridge into Waikiki from the Ala Moana Shopping Center. This is where you want to walk the docks. Starting about 2PM on Friday afternoon the racers and yacht clubs are gearing up for their Friday night races and you can hitch a ride fairly easily if you look really interested.
Don't be shy. It might get you a ride on the water in a racing environment and will be loads of fun. Remember when the races start that the skipper and crew usually get really serious but when they are over its party time.
Not many cats go racing but you might find one.
Good luck,
Kind regards,

Tags
oahu