Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2014, 14:12   #1

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)
Catana charter: 2013 42 or 2010 47?

Would love input from folks that have been on board both.

We'll be 5-6 adults and 2 teenagers, so either will be big enough. 2 heads is fine. The 47 appears to have 7-10% more SA/D over the 42 carbon based on rough brochure numbers. All things being equal would prefer smaller & faster. Have chartered the catana 50 with a bigger group, and that was a BIG boat. Not hard to handle, but the lines and winches get pretty large for my less experienced crew.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 14:19   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Catana charter: 2013 42 or 2010 47?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post

We'll be 5-6 adults and 2 teenagers, so either will be big enough. 2 heads is fine. The 47 appears to have 7-10% more SA/D over the 42 carbon based on rough brochure numbers. All things being equal would prefer smaller & faster. Have chartered the catana 50 with a bigger group, and that was a BIG boat. Not hard to handle, but the lines and winches get pretty large for my less experienced crew.
I wouldn't put any weight on 7-10% difference in SA/D - or any other numbers for that matter. There is no way two charter boats with inexperienced crew (with the boat) are going to show you significant differences like that. Besides, are you planning a racing vacation?

Pick the one that looks best, or the one that is cheapest, or the one that has the largest rum locker.

Picking by performance numbers is useless in this case.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 15:17   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I wouldn't put any weight on 7-10% difference in SA/D - or any other numbers for that matter. There is no way two charter boats with inexperienced crew (with the boat) are going to show you significant differences like that. Besides, are you planning a racing vacation?

Pick the one that looks best, or the one that is cheapest, or the one that has the largest rum locker.

Mark
Once again, Mark is correct. How does he do it?

Of the two, get the biggest for a party of 7 to 8. That's crowded on any boat, but typical for charters. You can stomach it for a week or ten days.

I have been on board both, but I have sailed neither. I raced against both in the same regatta and was more impressed by the 42. But this was likely a difference in skipper/crew abilities as the 42 did better than the 47, which it shouldn't have. I think you'll have more fun sailing one of these than the 50. More nimble.

Yes, the lines and winches may be slightly bigger on the bigger boat, but for a reason. This doesn't mean the effort will be different.

It's a crap shoot with charter boats. How do you know which has the cleaner hull, the better sails, the right props, the working fridges, or whatever? In no case are charter boats set up like owner boats, except for slack owners. But this doesn't mean you won't have a blast. Enjoy!! And you WILL outsail every other charter boat you care to challenge....

2 Hulls Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 21:04   #4

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Agreed, thus my request for personal experiences.

I don't plan on stressing over racing trim, but after a dozen cat charters, know that most are basic transportation and not much fun to sail. So if one of these is abnormally good or bad for whatever reason, would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
It's a crap shoot with charter boats. How do you know which has the cleaner hull, the better sails, the right props, the working fridges, or whatever? In no case are charter boats set up like owner boats, except for slack owners. But this doesn't mean you won't have a blast. Enjoy!! And you WILL outsail every other charter boat you care to challenge....
Good point. A bit worried about the shape of a 5 year old 47. But am leaning that way. It was fun to hit 14 in the 50 and couple good stretches at 12+, rarely saw 9 in any of the FPs, Lagoons, or Privilege's I've sailed.

Thanks
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 21:30   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Been on both boats and chartered a 42. With six adults I found the 42 crowded. A fast boat but not as roomy as lagoons, etc. My advice is to go with the 47.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pathlesschosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 21:31   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post

We'll be 5-6 adults and 2 teenagers, so either will be big enough. 2 heads is fine.
I have not been on either, but will butt in anyway with my opinion (in my defence I have been on and personally chartered plenty of other boats).

A four year old charter boat may be starting to get "shabby" - interior & exterior condition, sails, smelly heads etc. Equipment is much more likely to be breaking down (due to misuse or lack of good maintenance). It can significantly affect the pleasure of the whole experience.

If the decreased space is of little concern, I would go for the newer boat .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 07:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathlesschosen View Post
A fast boat but not as roomy as lagoons, etc.
An accurate appraisal. We have very good friends with a Lagoon 421 that we have buddy-boated with quite a bit. Their interior room is greater than ours despite our 5 feet of extra length. The difference is that boats designed primarily for the charter market, are, well, designed for charter parties! They are built out more to the ends - bow and stern - to create that extra roominess that many charterers are looking for to accommodate their big "crews". But some of this roominess is wasted. Even on a charter with 8 people, who needs 4 heads? In the OPs case, at least his choices have only 2 heads....

As for the age differences of the two boats, that can be a concern, depending on how the charter operator has cared for them. It would be a reasonable question before deciding to ask the operator whether the older boat has had its sails replaced yet, etc.

Also ask whether both boats have folding/feathering props - usually standard on Catanas - but maybe not necessarily on charter directed boats. And here's a question you wouldn't reasonably think of: ask whether they have mechanical or hydraulic steering. If one has hydraulic and the other mechanical, avoid the hydraulic one if you need a tie breaker. It will not be as much fun to sail as the helm feel will be practically non-existant. Why Catana put hydraulic steering on some of the boats is a real mystery to me...

2 Hulls Dave
Old 29-12-2014, 08:25   #8

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have been on late 90's version of both and really liked the extra cabin on the 47 we had out of st Martin. When I was on the 411s at the time it was just four of us and dropped to just two for the trip to St Lucia and back. I really like the 411s for shorthanded but if I had a group of 8-9 I would go with the 47
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 10:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Killam View Post
I have been on late 90's version of both and really liked the extra cabin on the 47 we had out of st Martin.
For a bit of trivia, that must have been a 471 as the new model 47's (really 46 feet) were not introduced until around 2009 or so. Maybe 2008. I've seen 471's still in charter but most charters are now the 42's (really 41 feet), 47's, and 50's. All these models are in the newer range that replaced the 431, 471, 521, 581 and -2 versions of some of these. None of these were built beyond about 2006 or so, give or take.

2 Hulls Dave
Old 29-12-2014, 12:45   #10

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
For a bit of trivia, that must have been a 471 as the new model 47's (really 46 feet) were not introduced until around 2009 or so. Maybe 2008. I've seen 471's still in charter but most charters are now the 42's (really 41 feet), 47's, and 50's. All these models are in the newer range that replaced the 431, 471, 521, 581 and -2 versions of some of these. None of these were built beyond about 2006 or so, give or take.

2 Hulls Dave
Thanks for the update Dave. If I ever go over to the light side again, Catana would be my cat of choice. I've owned an FP Tobogo and sailed both Privilege and Lagoons. In my opinion you have the best
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana, charter