Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2019, 15:25   #46

Boat: Trimarans!
Re: Catamaran Shopping: Move Cat from East to West Coast?

My thoughts too... nobody NEEDS to buy that specific cat far away. Especially if there is no time and you need to load it on a freighter... goes against what sailing is all about... small environmental footprint, go with the flow
earthbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2019, 07:15   #47

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifitsworthdoing View Post
FWIW, Aspen who make proa powercats in Washington state quote approx. $25k for a transfer to Florida ... check out the very last item on their models’ price list - not sure though if that would be shipping or sailing!
All their power cats have a narrower beam. The 40' is still just under 14' wide which allows it to be trucked with permits. The price list says they are trucked btw.
Old 28-11-2019, 05:20   #48

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNCAT365 View Post
From the west coast to the east, the winds and current are generally in your favor. Thats a a nice trip. Consider it. From the east coast to the west coast is uphill all the way. From Panama to Seattle is best done via Hawaii.
Would love to, however as I said, I can’t take the time off. I’ll just have to wait and keep my eyes open. At 55’ that boat is about 8’ more than we want, and 10’ more than we need! 😀
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2019, 07:41   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
I am taking delivery of a 47 cat in Florida in March with ultimate destination of San Diego. Still in planning stage of whether to sail, ship from Florida or sail through the Canal and shipping from Gofilito, Costa Rico. The quote I got last week from Florida is $50,000 including insurance, etc. They all ship to Ensenada, MX, 50 miles south of San Diego. I've kept my boat there in the past and it is a nice place. As was mentioned, none stop, that I'm aware of, in US (I did have a boat shipped from France to Los Angeles) because of the Jones Act (can't ship on a foreign flagged vessel from US to US port.). Jeanneau and Beneteau dealers do ship regularly to Southern California directly from France so it can't be environmental or cost concerns, I would think.
Ouch! I will sail it there for $40K flat rate. Including all expenses except repairs.

What kind of boat? How is it getting to FL?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 19:59   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Interestingly I just got a quote from Gofilito Costa RICO for my 47 foot cat for $22k. That is two thirds the distance from Florida to ensenada at about 40 percent of the cost. They say it is due to the cost of the canal. I plan to sail it from Florida to Costa Rico and ship from there. I generally cruise the Mexican coast annually but will ship as I’ll run out of time this year.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11   #51

Boat: PDQ 36

Since I bought my boat elsewhere and shipped it. I disagree. I live full time on my boat. I knew what I wanted, and I looked for 2 years on the west coast of the US and couldn't find a boat that suited my needs. I did find one on the east coast. I didn't have the skill to sail a new-to-me boat through the Caribbean and up to Mexico on my own, at that time. Hiring a crew was as expensive as shipping the boat and that didn't include repairing the boat as we went. Also bashing up the coast of central America wasn't appealing either. So it made sense to me to ship the boat. I have the boat that I wanted, in the place that I wanted and I could afford it. To you that might be a waste of money, but it wasn't to me. BTW, I ended up with a fantastic boat, that has turned out to be much better than I realized when I bought it.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, shopping, west coast