Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2017, 00:11   #16

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Catamaran hits uncharted reef NW Australia

Well, this is a sad story. It seems the cat is grounded and not really floating.

For catamarans having built-in buoyancy - look at Fountaine Pajot (e.g. Lucia 40), - sacrifice able, replaceable keels and built-in buoyancy foam structures in the bottom bow compartment and at stern. Looks quite stable on paper. Other cats have only watertight sections, that prevent sinking when hitting a container, but if the hull below is damaged in more sections, they will probably sink too (e.g. Lagoon 400: water-tight bow sections, watertight transom sections).
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 00:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKen View Post
Well I hope this hazard to Navigation now gets charted.
Maybe oneday this area will get charted.

Take a look at a chart. It is well off the beaten track. Not much of the coastal areas are surveyed.

Very little commercial interest to justify the expense of surveys.

I for one hope that it remains uncharted. This is the attraction of these wilderness areas for me.

The lack of good charts certainly reduces the number of humans visiting, protecting many of the delicate first peoples heritage sites.

Take a look at the affect of the tourist hordes on the careening boab area to understand what can happen in a very short period of time.
Old 14-11-2017, 02:56   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Well, this is a sad story. It seems the cat is grounded and not really floating.
Has that been definitely confirmed?
UpOnStands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 03:17   #19

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:

For catamarans having built-in buoyancy - look at Fountaine Pajot (e.g. Lucia 40), - sacrifice able, replaceable keels and built-in buoyancy foam structures in the bottom bow compartment and at stern. Looks quite stable on paper. Other cats have only watertight sections, that prevent sinking when hitting a container, but if the hull below is damaged in more sections, they will probably sink too (e.g. Lagoon 400: water-tight bow sections, watertight transom sections).
you better test these claims regardless of the boat manufacturer. my L 400 also says it has watertight compartments. Wrong. On inspection, found couple of holes that compromise 2 compartments. I filled them in and tested and confident that now is true. Keel in L 400 is also sacrificial and provides extra buoyancy, based on factory claims, but I cant test it.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 04:03   #20
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:

I may be wrong but I believe there are some pretty substantial tides here which means not always aground.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 04:09   #21
smj

Quote:

I may be wrong but I believe there are some pretty substantial tides here which means not always aground.
Old 14-11-2017, 04:18   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaslug Caravan View Post
Maybe oneday this area will get charted.

Take a look at a chart. It is well off the beaten track. Not much of the coastal areas are surveyed.
Where did this occur? My Australian Hydrographic Charts have reasonable detail for most of the Kimberly Coast
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 06:19   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Where did this occur? My Australian Hydrographic Charts have reasonable detail for most of the Kimberly Coast
Apparently in York Sound - In one of the unsurveyed areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	YorkSOund.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	159177  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 06:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
you better test these claims regardless of the boat manufacturer. my L 400 also says it has watertight compartments. Wrong. On inspection, found couple of holes that compromise 2 compartments. I filled them in and tested and confident that now is true. Keel in L 400 is also sacrificial and provides extra buoyancy, based on factory claims, but I cant test it.
Well in a L400S2 there are 4 hoses - one from each "crash-box" (water tight compartments) to the bilge in the middle ending in ball-valves, that are usually open, so the compartments can drain any water to the bilge. In case of a crash you must just close the valves and the compartment / section should be watertight. In case this fails you can use a wooden cone as a plug to block the opening. The main issue is, that those vents seem to corrode easily because they will almost never be used in regular circumstances and Lagoon pick inappropriate materials for them (seems to be red brass ball valves, chromed). A plastic (PVC) valve would be more appropriate there, I think. At least they look corroded on the out side...
Old 14-11-2017, 06:41   #25

Quote:
It seems the cat is grounded and not really floating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
No, the second video taken the next day or two seems to indicate that they stemmed the ingress of water and remained floating. They were considering beaching her to see if they could do some repairs.

Amazing how cool and rational he appears to remain throughout this ordeal.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 06:45   #26

This would be great if they can manage to beach her and try there to fix temporary the damages / seal up the crack, so they can sail or get towed to a marina for the repair.
Old 14-11-2017, 06:59   #27
smj

I believe this took place in August and they have already abandoned the boat.
Old 14-11-2017, 07:03   #28

The Video was uploaded Nov. 9th...
Old 14-11-2017, 07:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpOnStands View Post
They hooked up the depth finder to a good battery in the video - it's showing 19+ meters of water...
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 07:24   #30
smj

Quote:
The Video was uploaded Nov. 9th...

Copied from the other thread.

Re: Vloggers hit an uncharted rock/reef in the Kimberleys
We were contacted by the Caledonian Sky on 18th August to say they had Peter and Maggie on board and they were docking in Darwin soon. The grounding must have happened about a week prior to that as I believe they spent several days on the cabin roof waiting to be rescued. The area is replete with very large Saltwater crocodiles which are well known for attacking many Cruisers dinghy's.

It is somewhere on the eastern side of York Sound. I think they were heading for a location known as Rainforest Ravine.

We didn't get too much detail on location which is understandable while Peter was looking at salvage options. Our understanding is that they had originally intended to anchor near Cape Pond but that was not suitable and so decided to push on to another anchorage but strong tide against them left them short of daylight hours and trying to come into an anchorage at night.

I'm not passing any judgement on the decisions.

Tags
Australia, catamaran