Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2019, 11:47   #1

Buying Cats - mostly kicking tires...

Hubby and I are planning on doing the retirement on a cat in the Caribbean thing, and then maybe the world on maybe a different boat. In other words, our first cat doesn't need to be our last, it can be tuned for the Caribbean. Neither of us have spent much time on cats, and nothing in 30 years. Just a fun small Donzi classic.

Our plans include lots of ASA classes, including on our eventual boat. But at this point the right thing to do seems to be to walk through as many cats as possible so we can get our own feel for them. We were snowed in for the Seattle Boat Show this year. We are going to try to make it to France for the International Multihull show in April.

I'm shy about contacting a broker because I'm really just tire kicking. I doubt I will buy a cat on the West Coast, just because there are not many and then we have to have it moved for us. Or at least that's my first impression. Let me know if I'm just not looking in the right places.

Also, I know a 'Classic Beginner's Mistake' is to buy more of performance cat and then in six months trade it in for a Lagoon for the living space. And both Hubby and I seem to on this path. Me, cuz I raced hobies in my youth and the condo cats just look too lumbering and Hubby cuz he always likes fast cars, fast boats, etc. He is a very conservative operator, just likes the option of speed. I bring this up because I really want to go see this Atlantic 48 (Catamaran Details | Catamarans For Sale) but I know I have no business buying this boat. It's outside my price range if nothing else. Oh, but I've admired that cat for ever.

So my question -- is there a way I can go see boats like the Atlantic 48 without being a rude time waster, even if that is really what I'm doing?

Thanks!
Thunderbird9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 02:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Buying Cats - mostly kicking tires...

Yes, visit a boat show.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 06:20   #3

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I was at the SBS and went on every cat and it was a blast. I then drove over to that broker and looked at the Atlantic and the Catana because he invited boat show attendees to come. They were both nice.

There are a few cats for charter locally in the San Juans. There's a Nautitech Open 40 and a Seawind 1160 and maybe a few others. You could try a charter or maybe a day sail if they do them. Or wait for the next boat show.
The Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show is in a month. Bali, FP, Lagoon, Voyage and Seawind will be there.
Old 22-03-2019, 09:15   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

T-Bird,

If you like fast, the current crop of big cats may leave you a little disappointed. That said, the choice doesn't necessarily need to be an either / or one.

I too am a recovering racer. The admiral wanted a cat. We had a budget. What to do?

We ended up getting a 2007 Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40. Is it as fast as a new Outramare 5X? Not quite. Is it as capacious as a Lagoon 42? Nope.

What we have is a reasonably fast, reasonably comfortable, managable boat for two. We don't want to carry the weight and complexity of a genset so we live on 12v from a big solar array.

Some think we're camping, others think we're on the lap of luxury. If you can live without some of the goodies on the new boats, an older, lighter, faster boat might be a route to consider.

Shop carefully, there are more mistakes to make with an older boat.

Of course, our boat was about 33% of the cost of the new ones ��
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 10:14   #5

We bought based on utilization and feel. Determined % time at anchor, at dock/mooring, blue water, coastal cruise, on hard, etc. The allocation of time helped set priorities for things like anchor comfort vs speed. I have to love the feel of coming aboard to help motivate for the time and effort maintaining a boat as a full time live-aboard entails. We did the newport boat show, Annapolis, and Miami followed by either yard visits or 'university' time on the boats. This was just over 5 years ago and after much review and spreadsheet time we finalized on a privledge and antares, putting refundable deposits on new builds for both as we went through the initial design reviews. We did the carib twice but set off for a total of 40,000 miles so far and are very pleased with our choice. PM me if you like and I can send some more info on our selection process if interested. If you make it to So Cal we would offer to show you our boat as well. Enjoy the process !
Old 22-03-2019, 10:53   #6

Boat: H280

I'd hit the Miami, Annapolis, and/or Newport sailboat show. I have yet to hit Annapolis, but hear great things. Other two are well worth it as well....

Kick the tires there....

IMO
Magic1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2019, 06:44   #7
Marine Service Provider

If you need any help from a PNW broker I can't recommend Byron Shirley enough. I've worked with him for a number of years, and he is a great broker. He grew up living aboard and cruising. I'm sure he would love to help you guys kick some tires. His email is Byron@Denisonyachtsales.com

Tags
buying