Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2006, 07:43   #1

Boat: Alura 30
Buying a new Cat.

I hope I am not asking too much ,we are getting a new FP Cat in November in France,so pretty soon we will have to decide on a multitude of things,to install . We will have AC,because we use our boat in the summer time in Florida,and a generator also.what about electronics? without going overboard.I have always used Paper charts and a Plotter in the past,works out Pretty good.What about Solar energy? I am sure that I will overlook a lot of things so I am open to all your suggestions....the boat comes with Volvo 20s.anything that you can think about. Thanks.JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 09:25   #2

Boat: Privilege 37
Are you doing offshore? Bahamas? carribean? anchoring? live aboard? marina? I'd probably suggest different configurations depending on how you intend to use the boat. I would recommend minimizing your initial expenditures though. You may find you use and emphasize different things as you get more accostomed to your boat.

Keith
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2006, 10:19   #3

Keith we are thinking about coastal Florida the first year untill we get a pretty good feel for the boat,we don't do much Marinas,we would rather anchor in nice and quiet places,and yes as the time goes we will get a better feeling about things that we need to add.thanks.JC.
Old 24-07-2006, 14:49   #4

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Jean,

What size cat? That would determine if your Volvo 20's are adequate. Based on your cruising area, get the most solar power that will fit on your bimini, and have them wired at the factory. We have 6 panels, 75 watts each (the biggest available for the footprint at the time we bought them) and they completely run our DC refrigeration along with almost everything else. Especially since you prefer to anchor out, the solar power will be key to your comfort and enjoyment. I would also recommend you include radar along with your chart plotter, as it will be essential if you travel to areas known for fog; i.e., the northeast in summer. Radar is also helpful for tracking storms.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2006, 04:27   #5

Harriet the boat is 36'. I think you are right about the solar panels,factory installed good idea. Thunderstorms in Florida can be very nasty,so I guess it makes sense to be thinking about a Radar.It is probably a lot easier to do that at the factory, after all it is only money.......JC.
Old 26-07-2006, 06:15   #6

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Depending on what your plans are, we have found with other cruisers is that when you find the perfect boat buy yhe next bigger one. We are back in the US to sell our 38 Voyage and buy either a 44 or the 50. We bought Makai new and totally outfitted it ourselves in 5 months, moved aboard and went cruising in the Southern Caribe.

I am not so sure about having the factory install or wire for solar. Many boats are designed to have a few panels put on at the factory but with cruising you may want to add and organize them differently than the normal factory offering.

Makai came with factory mounts and they would have installed 3 75 watt panels with a PWM controller. We installed 4 120 watt kyrocea with a MPPT controller for more output and at the same cost as the factory offering. We were able to control the type of wiring installed as well as the setup. We made it expandable as well as oversized and more efficent. The installation looks like it belongs there and not put on as an after thought. It is clean.

It isn't hard and we have a much better product. Beside we learned all about solar while researching and installing and have been able to help others. Though we have had zero problems in 3 years of cruising I would be able work on the system.

And did I mention we saved money by getting more watts than the factory offering....
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 20:19   #7

I agree with Bil; But, then again, he gave me the benefit of his wisdom when I installed my solar. Either get the solar done here, or do it yourself is even better. I'd suggest 3 175 watt 24 volt panels. I love my outback MX 60 MPPT controller, highly recommend it. Live with that for a while and see how it does you.

The Volvo 20 are adequate, but you'll be slower than me ;-). I only run one engine anyway, so it is not too critical. We have a friend, Serenity (Hey Cal and Kel!) They have the same boat, they love it. They are a little slower than they would like, but I think if they had bigger they'd just end up running them slower.

There are things that you may want to pick up later, but I would not get them yet. They included SSB, and Watermaker.

We love our chartplotter and GPS combo. They have gotten us out of more fixes than or radar.

Make sure you get a battery monitor. We love the Link by xantrex.

Charger/inverters are REAL nice for being on the hook.

Make sure you get CO monitors, bilge alarms and at least 4 high volume bilge pumps.

If you have propane on the boat, make sure you have propane monitors. We have a xintex with a sensor behind the stove and one in the propane locker. We have the transparent propane tanks that are cheaper than aluminum and are Great!.

Hand held VHF

Dinghy with 10 or more hosepower. Dinghy davits

Flare gun, MOB pole

At least two anchors, but don't go overboard initially.

Boat shade/cover. Really helps the AC.

That should be a okay start, then you can figure out all the extra stuff you need.

Keith
Old 26-07-2006, 21:15   #8

Boat: Tayana 48
Assuming you will be cruising this boat, I would look at the following (in addition to the other suggestions you've received):
-Over-sized anchor(s), chain/ rode, and windlass
-Additional pad-eyes on deck and in cockpit for clipping your tethers into
-Spare halyard leading forward...always nice to have.
-Adequately-sized primary winches
-Additional tankage, both fuel and water
-Hand-held microphone at helm, hard-wired into main VHF at nav station (Icom has this feature, probably others do also).
-Inverter/ charger
-Insulated backstay for future SSB installation
-Additional manual bilge-pump, so one is in cockpit, one is below (required in some off-shore events, and a good safety feature).
-DC socket in cockpit for spotlight, etc
-Good canvas (dodger, bimini, trasition)

Some of these can be completed by the builder during construction, which not only makes them perhaps less-expensive, but also gives you some protection under warrantee.

Have fun with the new-boat process.
John
Old 27-07-2006, 05:10   #9

Thanks to all of you about the nice shopping list....aouch! one of you mention that you run on one engine,is there any problems about doing that? I thought it would be too much strain on the motor.JC.
Old 27-07-2006, 06:23   #10

Each of my diesels are about 30 horse. The base option for the Privilege 37 was twin 17 horse engines. So, my peak horse on one engine is only slightly less than the two engine base configuration. When I am running one engine, I am running at about 2000 RPM's or so. The engines don't generate a lot of thermal load and the fuel consumption is very good. I usually put up the sails and that gives me an additional push. In the 1 engine, sail configuration, I cruise at about 6 knots. I burn about 1/2 gallon in an hour.

Diesels are constucted to run at some degree of load. If you run too much under that design load, cylinder glazing and other such issues may occur. If you run them with too much load, other issues arrise. You can judge operating range by looking at the horse power and torque curves for the engine. If you have the right prop and are within the operating curve and don't have thermal issues, you're golden.

So, no strain, no problems.

Cheers,

Keith
Old 27-07-2006, 07:07   #11

Keith thank you for your output.My boat is 36',so I hope it won't be underpowered.anyway when you are on the water time should never be an issue,right?......well may be sometime.JC.
Old 27-07-2006, 08:07   #12

I always stay, if I want to get there fast, take a plane .

But there have been a couple of times when having a bit more speed has been, nice.

Cheers and good luck.

Keith
Old 27-07-2006, 14:20   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
I guy i know also ordered a Mahé and in the Marina where our Lagoon catamaran Linocats stays, there should also be a Mahé soon.
I would agree with Makai, that some things are better installed after the factory, like electronics, because you have a greater choice and more skillful and "willing" people maybe.
I had the position of the factory instuments changed to accomodate a Raymarine E120 at the helm.
Also factorywise they said that a 4kW Radar does not fit and i had it installed later witout problems.
Currently the inverter is in the pipeline and we just got a Caribe 9 Dinghy and a 5PS 2-stroke Yamaha outbord (because i can lift that easily)
From the factory we had bigger winches, seats on the bow (bad for spinnakersailing), mechanical pumps for salt and freshwaterwater in addition to the electrical. the inlet for a watermaker, outside loudspeakers, bimini, MP3-player. More 220V Poweroutlets, Fans, bigger anchor-windlass 1200W, bigger engines 2x 3YM30 27HP yanmar instead of 2x18HP, Diese-electrical heating, and other things.
So there are some things that might be a PITA later, but especially with electronics i thing you mjust have a greater variety of people and material later on...
Also we sailed a few months top get an idea what we need power-wise.

Michael
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 04:08   #14
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
My FP Athena was the last boat off the line, (3 months ago)and I would change some things after only a few months of having the boat, The first thing I would have them install are much bigger beige pumps the standard ones are not much good at all and are not auto. I have just bought 2 -3750gph ones and will fit them as a back up with auto switch's.

the second thing I would do is have a larger fuel tank, mine is only 50 gal, I would like to double and decrease the water tank, because I will have a water maker soon.

I don't like any of the cleats they all have square edges that under load will chafe your lines as has already happened to mine.

I have the 30 hp engines and am happy with them, in severe currents,and wind aganest you- like in some narrow channels with strong tides I just have enough to keep forward motion, some currents are as much as 8+ knots. The boat only does about 9 knots tops with both engines running full out, also get the upgraded alternators.
I have the S.D. sail drives and really wish I would have gotten the next size up , only because you can change the lower unit oil from the engine room and you would not have to haul the boat every 100 hours.
I think this system Yanmar has really sucks, for me that means I have to haul the boat every other month to comply with the recommendations

I don't like the battery switch's , and at some point will change them out for a better system
Also have them add a few extra battery's to your bank, your gonna need them

The auto pilot is not connected to the GPS so this would be nice to get them to do.

My boat to my great surprice came with out any holding tanks, so now i have to add them
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 05:03   #15

I reallythink that I am not going to go crazy when we first get the boat,I am mostly concerned about having everything I need to insure the safety of the boat and the passengers.As we use the boat we will find out what is needed.It may coast more money to do it that way,but you only get what you need.JC.