Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2012, 02:22   #1

Buying a Multihull in Caribbean

Hi all,
We had recently put in an offer on an Orana in Caribbean, looks like its accepted (pending survey) so transferring deposit this week. Checked as much as I could remotely and now just organizing flights (in two weeks) and surveyor. One last item I'd thought I'd check is that if any forum members have any 'words of warning' or feedback they'd like to share.
I don't really want to name the broker and they seem like a pretty big outfit but 'all ears' if there's any dodgy ones out there (naturally please message me directly) or dodgy boats.

Interestingly enough the boat we've agreed on has had a sale fall through recently so just hope it was due to finance and not survey issues.

Thank you in advance.

Robin

Robm3rob@aol.com
RobinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 19:54   #2

Re: Buying a Multihull in Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinE View Post
Hi all,
We had recently put in an offer on an Orana in Caribbean, looks like its accepted (pending survey) so transferring deposit this week. Checked as much as I could remotely and now just organizing flights (in two weeks) and surveyor. One last item I'd thought I'd check is that if any forum members have any 'words of warning' or feedback they'd like to share.
I don't really want to name the broker and they seem like a pretty big outfit but 'all ears' if there's any dodgy ones out there (naturally please message me directly) or dodgy boats.

Interestingly enough the boat we've agreed on has had a sale fall through recently so just hope it was due to finance and not survey issues.

Thank you in advance.

Robin

Robm3rob@aol.com
There is or was a Orana in the Caribbean that had structural problems and was involved in a factory repair dispute--some details were on the 'other' multihull forum awhile back. You can search there for it.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 03:23   #3

Thanks for the replies and PMs all.
I did try searching for 'Orana' 'issues' Etc but to no avail, perhaps if someone could link for me?
Thank you in advance.
Robin.
RobinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 04:36   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Heres one, Orana, found NOT fit to sail the seas. - Multihulls4us Forums

I believe this IS your boat....I copied and pasted this and removed the norweigen translation. and yes the boat is forsale on the hard in Caribe, I would RUN away

He concludes in its report that Occasion has extensive damage due to failures and deficiencies related to both design and production from the plant side.
He has confirmed his conclusion again during a survey of the boat in Tortola, BVI.
At this final inspection, it was found even more serious injuries.
It is clear that the bulkhead and supporting structures between the two hulls has been unable to take up forces acting on the boat at sea.
This has in turn led to scroll bias, gradual and growing cracks, delamination between the deck and bulkheads, ribs that pushes the hull skin, bulge in the tire, windows that leak, a front window nearly fell off so I will not go into all damage here, but unfortunately there is so bad that the boat has been declared non-seaworthy of professional / insurance, and insurance policy is revoked.
We were told to park your boat at the nearest port, and end the trip.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean