Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2012, 12:13   #31

Re: Broadblue 345

yeah,

your absolutely right, now as you mention the escape hatches...
I've been on cats witch had that ones.

But wouldn't they have much less of a load to bear?
They are mounted usually somewhere amidships on the inside of the hull and the water is passing is parallel to the hatch vs perpendicular on these ones here
You think that load will be lower then a big breaking wave from stern?

But then, if i remember right from my thermodynamics classes, water is making a lot of pressure even if running parallel, hmmmm....

ahh, the molds, i think the hatch flanges are there already as i have seen a picture of the hull coming out of the mold with the openings there, damn...
so i guess it will be the best hatch I can find on the market with that dimensions and some silly thick glass

for the door, yeah you are right, was recently on a cat with a huge sliding door, something like in the 6' wide class and no serious cockpit drain...

it wouldn't take much to rip out that door or fill up that hulls in some serious waters

thanks again
appreciate
H.S.Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 12:19   #32

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Think impact and compression. Escape hatches are commonly found on the inside of the hulls under the bridgedeck area. When sailing, waves will miss the outside of one hull and slam into the inside of the other - right where those hatches are located. Also, waves will often stuff right up between the hulls - setting up compression pressure right where those hatches are located.

And hatch manufacturers design certain hatches just for these applications. Make sure you use the proper hatch and you will be fine.

I bet you go years or longer before you even see water hitting that hatch. It is not in a vulnerable spot even though it looks that way. Once you start sailing the boat and seeing how it reacts to large following (and even breaking) seas, you will understand what I'm saying.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2012, 12:29   #33

Most off-the-shelf hatches, which these most likely are, are designed to be used on deck, and so are able to be stood on. By BIG people. I wouldn't worry about water caving them in.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 06:44   #34

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

From Multihull Worlds recent newsletter. The owners who took over some couple of years ago have a deep involvement in the new BroadBlue's and a considerable experience with Multihulls in general from their sale yard at Emsworth.
Do visit their site to confirm the boat you want doesn't have a better version, or make, in your price range.

Exerpt -
Mark and the design team from Broadblue, who are developing the new Rapier 550 (headed up by Darren Newton) visited METS, the industry show in Amsterdam. Mark reports a noticeable increase in electronic nav gear and boat control systems with wireless connectivity. The trend seems to be towards remote console controls, so things like the new Harken electric reversing winches can be controlled from a wireless device anywhere onboard, allowing the skipper to trim the sails whilst actually being able to see the sails, sailshape etc.

IMHO it's
Well worth joining their site just to see all the various boats that are available all over the world. There may even be the odd Arfur Boat in there too.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23   #35

I realise this is an old thread - nonetheless wanted to indicate I am talking to the BroadBlue people about a powerboat version of the new 346 which they have made plans - but not yet a mould - for. Like Hemingway the original poster I also think it would be a great small cruiser with the option to perhaps consider ocean crossings, and should be great under all-electric power (such as 2 x 80hp Torqeedo outboards) with a skysail. Would be interested in hearing further from the OP and commenters ... did he buy the boat, and if so how did that go afterwards?
Ifitsworthdoing is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Broadblue