Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 11:51   #31

Boat: Four Winns V435
Re: Bilge...Why Is There Water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My bad, lack of thinking much about it. He is looking at the little piss hole for the AC cooling discharge not a bilge pump discharge.
Bingo that's correct
Aquadome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:13   #32

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

When AC is on sea water pumps constantly as long as the compressor is on. Yes, it moves a lot of water. Refrigeration units not so much.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 13:08   #33

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

No one mentions a generator? A baby seawasp?
I got one alongside me! Something keeps tripping the shore power & the genny takes over....
A big no-no in the marina but he's working on it ........... one day ......
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 13:35   #34

Boat: Albin 25

As a small boat owner (both the boat and the owner?) I wonder that as well when I walk the dock. Glad to know, finally!
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 13:56   #35

Boat: Rawson 30PH

In the northern latitudes, hull sweat with dew point differential.... no ac drainage though 😉
Captain Puget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 15:09   #36

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
My bad, lack of thinking much about it. He is looking at the little piss hole for the AC cooling discharge not a bilge pump discharge.
Hardly a little piss hole. The bigger AC units put out cooling water through a 1" hose at around 10 gpm.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 15:32   #37

Boat: Fisher 31, 9.4 M

Taste it.
AlanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:26   #38

Air/con is the most common and if the compressor is running the cooling pump is dumping water out the side. Nothing visible to differentiate it from a similar size bilge pump. Even small unit can run a garden hose size flow.

Water cooled refrigeration is less common but similar issue.

Standard shaft propulsion with older style seals will result in short intermittent bilge pump activation. They are supposed to leak a drip a couple times per minute. Hated them on our first boat as it meant the bilge was perpetually wet.

Air/Con Condensation: Some will plumb the condensation to drain into the bilge (others use a venturi pump action to send it out with the cooling pump water.). Not a huge issue but not ideal either. This will result in intermittent bilge pump activation. We had the venturi pump fail once and found out our little 12k btu air/con unit was pulling about 5 gallons of water a day out in condensation with the shop vac, so it can be significant.

Water cooled generators will also pump a continuous flow of water while running but most don't run them when at a dock with shore power.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:51   #39
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Many boats, especially in the higher humidity areas run their AC 24/7 at the docks. The reason is not to keep the boat cool but to remove the humidity from a closed up boat. Mold and the problems it brings is a lot more expensive to fix than occasionally replacing worn out AC units.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:30   #40
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Geeez who owns air conditioners that put at that amount of water, sure they do a constant trickle because they are a dehumidifier as well. If someone has a fairly large reefer going with salt water cooling then you certainly will get a steady stream there or if a watermaker is running you'll get a pretty good stream of water there as well.
Our deep freezer water pump puts out 2.5 gallons per minute while the freezer is running.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:33   #41

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Ok... So I didn't know that the AC was water cooled. I would think that is what is going on. Especially at the boat shows where they run constantly due to the doors always being open.

I always learn something here...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:56   #42

A humorous take on it...

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...auderdale.html

Why do boatbuilders feel the need to install AC and Fridge cooling water outlets in such a way to make as much noise and splash as possible??? The way some of these boats throw water around, I'd be up every ten minutes all night taking my own leak...

On our boat outflows gently flow out at the the waterline without a sound the--way they always should be.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:01   #43

Boat: Casacde 36

October? Annapolis?? Air Conditioning?
I'd be looking elsewhere I think.
Have a look at the prop shaft seal and see if it's a drip type? You may also have a leak at a thru hull to hose connection. I have encountered situations where nylon/ plastic thru hulls actually distort when the hose clamps have been torqued up, forcing the fitting to be out of round; thus leaking into the boat, unbeknownst by the owner.....for years.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:46   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
October? Annapolis?? Air Conditioning?
I'd be looking elsewhere I think.
Have a look at the prop shaft seal and see if it's a drip type? You may also have a leak at a thru hull to hose connection. I have encountered situations where nylon/ plastic thru hulls actually distort when the hose clamps have been torqued up, forcing the fitting to be out of round; thus leaking into the boat, unbeknownst by the owner.....for years.
many are reversible as heat pumps thereby heating the boat as well as cooling so it is quite normal for them to run year round
Btw john what marina are you in I have one at foss harbor.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:31   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
Why do boatbuilders feel the need to install AC and Fridge cooling water outlets in such a way to make as much noise and splash as possible??? The way some of these boats throw water around, I'd be up every ten minutes all night taking my own leak...

On our boat outflows gently flow out at the the waterline without a sound the--way they always should be.
At or below the waterline means a sinking risk if there is a failed thru hull. Also, below the waterline, requires extra power for the same water flow as there is more resistance.

Dribbling out will leave mineral streaks on the hull as the edges of the wet area dry.

Above the waterline with a little noise, makes for an easy check that the pump is working and not clogged. I know the first thing I do when turning the air/con on is check for water. A lot easier to stick my head out the door and listen rather than go out and lean over the side to see if water is coming out.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, water