Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 01:12   #1

Boat: F9A 31' Tri - TigerShark
Thumbs down BEWARE of Multihulls Magazine (USA)

BEWARE of Multihulls Magazine (USA). They are in Chapter 7 and aren't doing any more printed issues even though it looks like you can still subscribe. (Digital is $29/2 years, Print is $89/2 years and Digital/Print Bundle is $99/2 years).
After being a loyal subscriber for over 20 years, I needed to renew for the J/F 2010 issue. I didn't get a single issue from my renewal and I finally realized it this week. Of course they didn't inform me, they waited for me to figure it out. They did offer to convert me to a digital subscription but I bought the print and I'm sure they knew this was happening when I renewed. (there is a 3:1 price differance).
Anyway, even if you subscribe to only the digital issue, they probably won't be around long enough to have the subscription run it's course. I wouldn't give them another dime but if you must read them, ordering only the current issue online is the safest way.
You've been warned!
Slowing Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:19   #2

Oh darn it - I saw the thread title and thought you were advertising a magazine called "Beware of Multihulls".

But I guess that one would have been in the Monohull Sailboats thread...
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 (2008)
I have been a subscriber for a while now but guess what? They took my $$$ and only delivered 2 back issues... nothing since.

I'm thinking this is a drawback to owning a [subscription to a] multihull [magazine].

The bad thing is that Seafaring and Living Aboard magazines are just staying afloat by reducing costs, going digital and keeping staff to a minimum. I hear Sailing has filed Chapter 11 also.

Are we seeing the demise of print publications???
kmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:22   #4

Boat: 1982 Oday 34
I finished college in 2000 with a journalism degree and started my career as a newspaper reporter just in time to hear the death rattle of print media. The smaller newspapers in Houston are barely squeaking by but gave up on the ethics of real news for an advertorial format. The larger newspapers survive through cost cutting and monopoly of markets. After all, it's still required by the government to advertise public meetings and such in the most distributed local newspaper.

Unfortunately most magazines, especially those serving smaller special interest groups, just don't have the advertising income to cover printing costs anymore. Vendors and service companies can host a web site and get search engine optimization for pennies on the dollar compared to the cost of one print ad.

Bigger magazines like Popular Science, Car and Driver, etc. have actually been giving away free subscriptions for the past year just to keep circulation up as an enticement to advertisers. Nobody wants to pay for advertising in a magazine with no circulation.

Print media will never disappear completely, but I have a feeling in the next few years we'll see surviving magazines give up on the glossy paper and move to cheaper printing methods while focusing on interactive media for the web, Google TV and all these iPad-type devices about to flood the market.
Jetexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:29   #5

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
Bigger magazines like Popular Science, Car and Driver, etc. have actually been giving away free subscriptions for the past year just to keep circulation up as an enticement to advertisers. Nobody wants to pay for advertising in a magazine with no circulation.
Ah, that explains something I always wondered about: I did not renew my subscription to Sail magazine. They sent me many "last chance" offers, including one for $5/yr, then just kept sending me the magazine anyway even though I ignored all offers and didn't renew. I got it free for 5 years, and still might be receiving it now for all I know (we left on the boat with no forwarding address).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:08   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
But I guess that one would have been in the Monohull Sailboats thread...
My copy of Monohulls Monthly is still arriving OK

Maybe the business model is............more stable?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:41   #7

I really like Multihull Magazine. I had been a subscriber for some time when the conversion to digital came out. There were notices in the couple of issues before the switch. At that time print wasn't even an option, everyone was being forced to digital. I think they only revived the print option because of uproar.

I met some of the people behind the mag at this years Spring Sails event in Annapolis, and feel bad the publication s in so much trouble; really good people there who care about their product and customers.

I had some issues with accessing my subscription with the digital conversion, but the customer service people were very responsive and helpful. the technical piece of it had some bugs to work through but the staff were trying to make the best of a bad situation.

I wish them good luck and will continue to subscribe for as long as they are in business.
Old 10-06-2010, 13:44   #8

Boat: coming soon.......
I've been apart of the import car scene for many years and have seen a drastic reduction in Car magazine print. In fact most "car" magazines are owned by Interlink media which has brought most magazine sites to digital with an unrelenting amount of ads on each site.

As stated above, print will never die however most "magazines" will go digital in the coming years in my opinion.

- Serenity is the state of being serene. Serene means to be calm and peaceful.
Serenity_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:22   #9

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I feel bad for them, but I hate trying to read it on the computer.
I'm not going to resubscribe.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 14:16   #10

Boat: F9A 31' Tri - TigerShark
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
My copy of Monohulls Monthly is still arriving OK

Maybe the business model is............more stable?
It has been said that while a multihull is most stable floating upside down, a monohull is most stable sitting on the ocean floor.
Slowing Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 18:18   #11

Boat: Outremer 5X
I used to really dislike reading the digital magazines on computer, but the iPad has made it pretty good. Use the GoodReader app for iPad. Works great.
Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 16:06   #12

Boat: Hope-to-be Jim Brown/John Marples Seaclipper 24
Another company you should NEVER subscribe to is TIME/LIFE. At least in Germany. Once you want to quit, they will continue sending their printed work, menace you.
In the majority you will need legal help to get out of your subsrciption.
paulhamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 16:53   #13

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhamburg View Post
Another company you should NEVER subscribe to is TIME/LIFE.....

You really could just leave it there......
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2010, 03:12   #14

Boat: Hope-to-be Jim Brown/John Marples Seaclipper 24
I apologize. I was taken away. Sorry
paulhamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:41   #15

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
The demise of print media is mind boggling. I'm sorry to see it happen because all the advertisements are now showing up on the internet instead of print media. It's easy to ignore advertisements in print media. It's harder to ignore things popping up all over the page, and many of the web advertisements are obnoxious.

I have lots of websites and have been approached many times about putting adds up on the sites using google adds. Thoughts like "When hell freezes over I will use google adds." They are intrusive, tracking your mouse clicks. They are definitely big brother.

I wish print media would come back so that google adds would go away. It would make internet a much more enjoyable experience.

Now Apple is starting to assault my iphone with advertisements. Bummer.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote