Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 09:45   #16

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Dave,

Adblock is your friend.

adblock - Bing

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:50   #17

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Dave,

Adblock is your friend.

adblock - Bing
Thanks for the link. It sounds like a great idea.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 13:16   #18
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
The demise of print media is mind boggling. I'm sorry to see it happen because all the advertisements are now showing up on the internet instead of print media. It's easy to ignore advertisements in print media. It's harder to ignore things popping up all over the page, and many of the web advertisements are obnoxious.

I have lots of websites and have been approached many times about putting adds up on the sites using google adds. Thoughts like "When hell freezes over I will use google adds." They are intrusive, tracking your mouse clicks. They are definitely big brother.

I wish print media would come back so that google adds would go away. It would make internet a much more enjoyable experience.

Now Apple is starting to assault my iphone with advertisements. Bummer.
I must have some sort of adblocker on my machine - I certainly don't get anything annoying advert wise. but I do get the Google ads - for an advert can't get much more discrete. sometimes even useful. and sometimes mildly amusing - but I am easily amused Those not logged in as members do get a bucket more adverts - but easily cured, if they want to.

Of course the business model does rely on folks Googling in and out as much as possible. Not really trying to capture folks......ever wondered what a monkey in a zoo feels like?

Have a bannana

But the internet / print media business model "problem" is fascinating - and when it comes to that prize luddite Murdoch very amusing to watch him miss the target so much Almost as bizarre as watching the folks at the UK yachting mags "embrace" the online world

My gut feeling is that Google is prime for the taking with a new business model within the next 5 years. Google is little more than flyposting, with the secret simply being able to do it on an industrial scale. In 5 years time I suspect I will be kicking myself for not having launched www.wahoo!_it's_DOJ.com to take on Google. and Murdoch
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 21:19   #19

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Your monkey in a zoo analogy is apt.

We are under constant surveillance when we are on the web. We don't even know who is watching us. Certainly, google is tracking our every move. They were even tracking us when they did the photos for google earth, listening to our wireless as they drove by taking photos.

I have lots of web sites, and whenever an Iranian web surfer checks in to one of my websites, the national security agencies are busy going over my sites - I guess they are trying to figure out what the Iranians and other personna non-grata are looking at on my sites.

There are more Chinese people on internet than the entire population of the USA - Over 300 million Chinese surf the world wide web. I suspect the sites they visit are also under surveillance as well.

Fort Huachuca in Arizona, National Naval Information Center in Pensacola, and homeland security all show up in my webstats.

When you get on internet, lots of folks are watching. You are the monkey in the zoo. Now where is my bananna?
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 23:13   #20

I'm paying ~15/month for my kindle subscription to the washington post and ~2/month for my kindle subscription to foreign affairs. it's been great having both of them. if anyone is interested in picking up a kindle i'd recommend it. they dropped their price to 189 lately. not all the monthly publications are all that excellent (sadly the economist doesn't have its digital act together), but it's great to finally have the convenience i always wanted with all my printed stuff in one place, and knowing that i'm supporting journalism rather than just "stealing" it from google news.

edit: certain things like engine manuals and knot books just don't work well on digital, for me anyway

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation: Kindle Store
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 06:42   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I'm paying ~15/month for my kindle subscription to the washington post and ~2/month for my kindle subscription to foreign affairs. it's been great having both of them. if anyone is interested in picking up a kindle i'd recommend it. they dropped their price to 189 lately. not all the monthly publications are all that excellent (sadly the economist doesn't have its digital act together), but it's great to finally have the convenience i always wanted with all my printed stuff in one place, and knowing that i'm supporting journalism rather than just "stealing" it from google news.

edit: certain things like engine manuals and knot books just don't work well on digital, for me anyway

Amazon.com: Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White, 3G Works Globally - Latest Generation: Kindle Store
Rebel,
Am I missing something? The Washington Post is free online, so what do you get for the $15/mo?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:15   #22

It is sad to see any magazine going under. It means a lot of people without work.
And that it is serius.
Daniel
Old 07-07-2010, 10:35   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Fort Huachuca in Arizona, National Naval Information Center in Pensacola, and homeland security all show up in my webstats.

When you get on internet, lots of folks are watching. You are the monkey in the zoo. Now where is my bananna?
I don't have access to anything "interesting" except a couple of databases in relation to the financial world, one of which is largely based on...........Google Of course everyone puts their own name in (not all out of simple curiousity ). Being even more bored than usual I put my boat name in..........

...........came up with largely here (due to my boat name being attached to every post ).

Fair enough, but also plenty of keywords (did I really threaten to bust a cap in da Presidents ass? ). On their own, and in context, not a problem if (if if if) read by someone with half a brain, English as a first language and has authority to ignore what the computer says without authority from higher ups, whether 3 hours or 3 months away.............

But otherwise has potential to be a problem in explaining why (and how ) you know "stuff" about how the world works, especially if that includes a few keywords like "bomb" "president" "next week" "The Mankini Assassin" and........."TaoJones"

Just thought I would mention it..........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:59   #24
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Now Apple is starting to assault my iphone with advertisements. Bummer.
Upgrade to 4.0. You'll see less ads. You'll see less of everything. Takes 20 minutes just to turn the iPhone on now. An old dock neighbor was showing me Navionics. When he got it, he said it was great. With the OS update, it's unusable.

Aren't we all supposed to be trying to reduce our power usage?
What kind of draw does the iPad/Kindle (the biggst one they make of course) have?

Are they really worth having Vs. just reading this stuff on the laptop?
One more toy, one more thing that needs charging, one more thing to break, one more thing to accidentally go over the rail?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowing Down View Post
BEWARE of Multihulls Magazine (USA). They are in Chapter 7 and aren't doing any more printed issues even though it looks like you can still subscribe. (Digital is $29/2 years, Print is $89/2 years and Digital/Print Bundle is $99/2 years).
After being a loyal subscriber for over 20 years, I needed to renew for the J/F 2010 issue. I didn't get a single issue from my renewal and I finally realized it this week. Of course they didn't inform me, they waited for me to figure it out. They did offer to convert me to a digital subscription but I bought the print and I'm sure they knew this was happening when I renewed. (there is a 3:1 price differance).
Anyway, even if you subscribe to only the digital issue, they probably won't be around long enough to have the subscription run it's course. I wouldn't give them another dime but if you must read them, ordering only the current issue online is the safest way.
You've been warned!
I subscribed to Multihulls just over one year ago. After waiting quite a while (and knowing that frequently there is a lag on getting the first issue of any periodical subscription) I contacted them via email. I was told that they had switched to digital and that they would send me my login details. I responded that I had no interest in reading a digital "magazine" and that I had paid for a real magazine and had the receipt to show it (it clearly stated delivery via magazine class US Mail). After several back and forth emails going over several months I finally told them I respected their decision to change their business model but that they hadn't delivered what I had paid them for and could they just please refund me my money and we'd be done with it. That was shortly before Christmas 2009. I never heard from them again . . . until last week, when I received an email telling me my subscription was about to run out and I needed to renew!

I have absolutely nothing good to say about these people.
Karl_in_Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 14:13   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What a shame. I usually spend an hour or so reading a magazine or two before going to bed. I have about 20 magazine subscriptions. An iPad will never be as good.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 14:31   #27

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
WOW - interesting dialog from the technology perspective! I have been in the tech field for over 30 years and the tools we have today have totally changed our world if embraced. I gave up on MS a year ago and have deployed Apple as our technology provider. We both have iPhones, me a MacBook Pro and the wife an iPad. All devices are synced for calendars, schedules and contacts. We have all of our magazines electronic across all devices, we have 1000's of books, charts, cursing guides plus weather information at our finger tips. These are amazing times we live in - embrace it!
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:04   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv-Mystique View Post
WOW - interesting dialog from the technology perspective! I have been in the tech field for over 30 years and the tools we have today have totally changed our world if embraced. I gave up on MS a year ago and have deployed Apple as our technology provider. We both have iPhones, me a MacBook Pro and the wife an iPad. All devices are synced for calendars, schedules and contacts. We have all of our magazines electronic across all devices, we have 1000's of books, charts, cursing guides plus weather information at our finger tips. These are amazing times we live in - embrace it!
We have some of those too! Some call them repair manuals.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:09   #29

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Upgrade to 4.0. You'll see less ads. You'll see less of everything. Takes 20 minutes just to turn the iPhone on now. An old dock neighbor was showing me Navionics. When he got it, he said it was great. With the OS update, it's unusable.

Aren't we all supposed to be trying to reduce our power usage?
What kind of draw does the iPad/Kindle (the biggst one they make of course) have?

Are they really worth having Vs. just reading this stuff on the laptop?
One more toy, one more thing that needs charging, one more thing to break, one more thing to accidentally go over the rail?
The Kindle can be used for hours a day for two weeks or so before it needs a charge. Four in our family now - we don't share well I guess. Looks like paper.
Not so the ipad. That is just a small laptop no matter what they say so the power draw will be up there somewhere.

I am going to miss my magazines in the bathroom. I don't want to carry a laptop around the house.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 16:28   #30
Marine Service Provider

WOW! Had no idea the battery life was that good.

Does it have support for photos yet? Looks like some of the books from our nautical libraries are slowly making their way into the format. Saw a few of Calder's books. But still not happening fast enough for my taste.

So, you think I can download the Gem, Westerbeke, and Silette manual to it?
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote