Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 13:32   #76

Boat: Tartan 37
Re: Best Upwind, Blue Water Cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
And you know what? You'll fit every one of us on board that monster. Each of us can probably have our own stateroom
For sure! I'm going out the buy the Florida Powerball tonight. Say your prayers!
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:44   #77

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Cruising Couple,

Here are a few cats that go very well into the wind. One is even fying into the wind. Just amazing. Just shows that there are cats that can do it well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cat up wind.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	36886   Click image for larger version

Name:	cat in the wind.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	36887  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:56   #78

You know I thought I had had sarcasm (the playful kind, not the cutting kind) and satire down quite well until I started reading this forum. But, you all just take the cake. LOL

Good thing that I believe that sarcasm and quick wit is a sign of high intelligence.

Love these cats Cotemar!
Old 03-02-2012, 16:34   #79

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Thread drift
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:36   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Thread drift

So true .... and that means, by my comment earlier in this thread, that I have to put $5 in my new boat fund. Ka-ching.

Old 03-02-2012, 18:34   #81

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruising Couple View Post
Mark unless there is a Hot Wheels version of the Amber Cat .... it isn't going to happen. That didn't take much research to discover they don't make them small enough and they haven't been making them long enough for us to be able to purchase one. LOL

It appears there are two for sale worldwide, both ~$2M US.

Well, it's fun to window show anyway.
I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. Erik LaRouge is a designer. Ambercat just happens to build one of his designs. LaRouge has many designs of all sizes (25'-75' and even trimarans and monos) Other companies and people build them. Even our Manta catamaran is a LaRouge design (with extensive modifications by Manta).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:12   #82

Um, it's 'Erik Lerouge'

you'd have a hard go searching with the wrong spelling
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:51   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Um, it's 'Erik Lerouge'

you'd have a hard go searching with the wrong spelling
Sorry for the spelling. I just typed in "Larouge catamaran" in google and got all hits to Lerouge boats, including the designers website. In fact, I got the exact same sites in the same order when I typed in "Lerouge catamaran".

Don't think she will have too much trouble...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:57   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Here's that Crowther. Might be able to get it for $200K
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=22624&url=
That boat looks like she has been well cared for.

But I would have one question, if I look at the photos #1 & #3, it definitely looks as though she has been lengthened in the stern. I don't recall stock Crowthers that look that long in the stern, except for maybe Invesigator ll

View Boat Photos - YachtWorld.com

No, now that I look at Investigator, she was not that long in the stern
RunningTideYachts, Ltd. Photo Album of Design References Page 9

It would be interesting to see her shafting/prop arrangement considering this extra length.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06   #85
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Nice find sand crab. Looks like a crowther 44 (deign 85) with 10 foot stern extensions. Stern extensions are a sign that the vessel is overloaded. This particular boat is around 40% heavier than the designer intended ( displacement advertised at 25000 lb ,designed 18000 lb) . Be wary of multihulls displacing more than the designer intended. The extra weight erodes or even cancels out structural design safety factors among other things.
Regards
Yes, I now see someone else has recoqnized this extra length. I'm not so sure it would be detrimental in this case...would have to take a closer look and do some backgrd checks.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:06   #86

Boat: 50ft mono hull. SOLD!!

Catana's are fast but have very little load carrying capacity. Wanting to circumnavigate you will have/need a lot of kit on board. Overload the boat and your Catana will sail like a dog. I would look for a boat with wider hulls that won't squat as soon as you put some weight on her, much more space as well. Personally I like these cats. Antares Yachts: Building the World's Best Liveaboard Catamaran
Good luck with your search.
Erik C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:58   #87
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik C View Post
Catana's are fast but have very little load carrying capacity. Wanting to circumnavigate you will have/need a lot of kit on board. Overload the boat and your Catana will sail like a dog. I would look for a boat with wider hulls that won't squat as soon as you put some weight on her, much more space as well. ...
You've put your finger on the compromise necessary in catamaran boat design. Finer hulls = more speed, but can't carry a heavy load. Wider hulls = heavy loads but are much slower.

Personally, in modern designs, I think Manta had it right and was devastated when they closed up shop.

Of the older boat designs, I prefer the Catalacs with their chined hulls. These were deemed outdated hull designs yet I couldn't help noticing that our America's cup winner last year had a chined hull. Seems what goes around, comes around. The benefit is when lightly loaded, the finer lower hull is very fast, yet when you load these hulls up, they are able to carry heavy loads.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06   #88

Quote:
Catana's are fast but have very little load carrying capacity. Wanting to circumnavigate you will have/need a lot of kit on board. Overload the boat and your Catana will sail like a dog. I would look for a boat with wider hulls that won't squat as soon as you put some weight on her, much more space as well. Personally I like these cats. Antares Yachts: Building the World's Best Liveaboard Catamaran

Interesting point Eric, thank you. I will not tell my Cairn Terrier, Logan, AKA: Logan, The Sailing Dog, that you used the term "sail like a dog."

Thanks again!
Darby

Going now to check out Antares.
Old 04-02-2012, 13:05   #89

I don't really agree with this argument. Overload a fast boat and it will be slow, so better to buy one that's slow to start with?

For one thing, it may not be neccessary to overload, or you may only need to go slightly above design displacement. A bit of common sense, and most cruising designs will carry all you need. And it's not as if oveloading a Catana by one kilogramme will suddenly transform it into a dog.

At times, when we're fully stocked up our boat is technically overloaded. I'd say we're about 500 to maybe as much as 800kg over design displacement. Our transoms are just immersed about 10mm.

But we still sail very well, in the right conditions often getting to within a knot of windspeed. And we live aboard full time.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 14:47   #90

Quote:
I would argue that comparison. Most of the Catana's carry weight very well - particularly the 401/431/471 era boats. The Antares has very narrow hulls and narrow sterns, where most of the weight problems manifest themselves.

I am currently staring right at a Catana 431 and 471, and recently spent a lot of time staring at an Antares and the Catana has wider hulls - most noticeably the sterns.

Disclosure: I love the Antares and Catana 431/471.

Mark

Tags
water