Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2008, 15:12   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
For options I prefer dealer installed if you have a good dealer. Items that replace original equipment such as larger winches can come from the factory but most things are better done by the dealer. The dealer also prefers this as they can make an extra buck this way. A good dealer will have a commissioning crew and this keeps them busy. Most of my options were installed by the dealer and I was there during this process and saw what was done. I could not have done this if the factory had installed what I wanted. In addition I had some modifications such as a split anchor locker which the factory did not offer.
Old 22-07-2008, 13:08   #17

I've never bought a boat, and I'm curious -- is it ever possible to buy a boat directly from the manufacturer, without any broker or dealer middleman? (I hope it's not a breach of netiquette for me to post this question in this thread, but it certainly is related to the OP's question.)
Grotius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 13:23   #18

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Grotius,

You can only buy from the manufacturer if the manufacturer doesn't have an extensive dealer network. So you are left with mostly small scale or new manufacturers. I bought my first two new boats from the manufacturer, CS Yachts which was one of Canada's largest sailboat builders but who did not have an extensive Canadian dealer network. I bought my last new boat off a dealer's inventory because I didn't want to go through giving my money to a manufacturer with only the promise of a boat. I bought my second new boat in the late eighties and it was a harrowing time due to failures of many manufacturers. I didn't want to go through that again. If they've got my money I want title to the boat!
Old 22-07-2008, 13:35   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If a manufacturer has dealers they tend to get really upset when the factory sells direct. It may happen in special cases but some of the custom builders don't use dealers.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 17:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Hello, TWOWHITES

That is a very short delivery time for a MANTA 42! As far as I know, some owners waited much longer!
Soon then welcome to the club!

She was started mid-June but I had picked the build date last year. I was down at the factory last week as some of the cabinetry was being installed. The deck goes on soon. I added a number of options while I was there - much easier than post-build - including ground plane for SSB, extra-storage, antenna locations, rode counter, toilet upgrades, watermaker, underwater lights, pactor modem, 20hp AB aluminum RIB, E120 Raymarine and a whole lot more. With everything, she'll still cost considerably less than virtually any other lesser-equipped 42' out there. Assuming you get paid in U.S. dollars, that's the upside of working directly with a U.S. manufacturer right now. You don't get a discounted price but you get a lot of bang...

Hope to see you and your Manta soon.
Cheers
twowhites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2008, 17:52   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowhites View Post
She was started mid-June but I had picked the build date last year. I was down at the factory last week as some of the cabinetry was being installed. The deck goes on soon. I added a number of options while I was there - much easier than post-build - including ground plane for SSB, extra-storage, antenna locations, rode counter, toilet upgrades, watermaker, underwater lights, pactor modem, 20hp AB aluminum RIB, E120 Raymarine and a whole lot more. With everything, she'll still cost considerably less than virtually any other lesser-equipped 42' out there. Assuming you get paid in U.S. dollars, that's the upside of working directly with a U.S. manufacturer right now. You don't get a discounted price but you get a lot of bang...

Hope to see you and your Manta soon.
Cheers
I am so freakin' jealous.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 13:54   #22

It did occur to me that you can sometimes get a concession from a build-to-order manufacturer if you're able to jump into an unfilled production slot that is coming up fairly soon. A cancellation or unsold slot will incentivize a factory owner to keep the production line running even if the profit margin is significantly reduced. If you've got the money/financing lined up I have seen offers reducing the price from $10K-40K for a short suspense build date.
Old 23-07-2008, 19:55   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
It did occur to me that you can sometimes get a concession from a build-to-order manufacturer if you're able to jump into an unfilled production slot that is coming up fairly soon.
Being lucky still counts. This is where being flexible helps. If you invest too much into "the perfect boat" mentality you are blind to the better alternatives.

Do all the research, take detailed notes, burn the notes, then go boat shopping because your mind is now prepared. Preparation is research and buying is about seeing, looking and listening. The notes are for writing a book. You don't become a published boat author until after you own a boat.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 22:23   #24

Thank you all for your advise, there is so much involved in the decisions. twowhites, do you mind saying about how much a new Manta is going to cost after you are done adding everything? are you getting spare engine parts, and gaskets, injectors, alternators, water pumps, parts for water pumps, and all that good stuff from Manta as well?
Thanks.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 10:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by decktapper View Post
Thank you all for your advise, there is so much involved in the decisions. twowhites, do you mind saying about how much a new Manta is going to cost after you are done adding everything? are you getting spare engine parts, and gaskets, injectors, alternators, water pumps, parts for water pumps, and all that good stuff from Manta as well?
Thanks.
With all of the extras the price is $524K. I suspect the base price has probably gone up some since I had signed the contract in Dec 2007. It comes with a long list of standard items you can see in their brochure at the Manta website @ mantacatamarans.com. Reading from the contract, I added: washer/dryer, two additional solar panels to make six, the BBQ grill (really nice but it costs $1K), 3rd reefing point, spinnaker (I just finished the color design at the North Sails' website) which includes a traveller set-up at the bow, engine pac (engine consumables like zincs, oil, belts, tools and the oil changing system from inside the boat, spare fittings - I'll still need to buy spares like the alternator, water pump, as well as a life raft, para-anchor, storm jib, MOB module & lifesling, grab bag equipment), additional interior lights in the wet locker and under the cooker vent, extra nmea interface by the dining table, the 20hp Yamaha 4-stroke and 10'6" AB aluminum dingy package includes fuel tank, hoses, fins, tiller extension, anchor and line, NAV lights, large seat and a keel shield, ground plane, upgrade to ICOM802 SSB with pactor modem, 2nd fiberglass propane tank, upgrade to E120 Raymarine display, remote control for chart plotter (you can sit back in the sling bench and control the boat - too good to pass up), full cockpit enclosure (rolls up out of the way when not in use), rig tensioners with spectra line, upgraded fabric, extra storage compartments, lighting as previously noted (comes with waterproof remote control so you can turn on the lights as you approach the boat from the dingy), bilge lights on each side of the helm, salt/fresh water selection valve for the heads, increased battery capacity (adds 200 amps - six, 6C batteries), mount VHF antenna on mast with LMR 400 cable, Volvo EVC panels for each engine, rode counter, ACR remote control spotlight, upgrade to Techma toilets, upgraded mattresses (3-ply includes memory foam), stack pack, fish finder on alternate hull if they can find a place to install it - not yet priced, class B AIS - still looking at models - not yet priced, and Little Wonder watermaker LWM 200. I keep thinking of things, so I also asked for quotes on a mast-mounted radar reflector, installation of a small safe, upgrade from 2k to 4k radar and a VHF mounted at the helm station.

If you're around the Sarasota area, call up the Manta folks and tell them you would like look at Al's boat. I'm sure they would accommodate. It's always nice to see a boat under construction to see how they lay the wiring/plumbing/thru-hulls, install cabinets, prep the hulls, etc.

Cheers...
Old 25-07-2008, 11:26   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
First try to locate the right boat for yourself and after that locate a dealer that owns that type specified as a demonstrator , try to come to a deal with him ,
this has a few advantages
You will have your boat faster and it will be in excellent condition with most if not all rough spots ironed out.
You will get a good discount and are actually able to test sail the boat your are getting

Greetings and Happy sailing

Gideon
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 14:21   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Silence is the golden rule of negotiating.
If, like most people, you cannot bear 10 seconds of silence, say only “uh huh”.
I spent 9 years on Japanese accounts. The longest silence I have is over 20 minutes after I made a counter offer. Plenty of "so, desu" and sucking of teeth but I didn't say a word.

Finally, "OK Deutsch-san. We understand."

Much ouiski and o-sake together that night....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote