Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2010, 09:13   #61

I'm amazed at the confidence the Americans have in their boat and sailing ability, changing to a bigger headsail when it's basically unnecessary given their lead and how close they are to the finish.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 09:49   #62

Watching this post race video I am reminded of times I was a member of a winning crew sailing home after a victory. The camaraderie is unbelievable.
Old 14-02-2010, 09:50   #63
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
I'm amazed at the confidence the Americans have in their boat and sailing ability, changing to a bigger headsail when it's basically unnecessary given their lead and how close they are to the finish.
They made the change to lay the finish line - the smaller jib was taking them too low. They stayed with the larger headsail until there was no question that they could gybe to the finish.

TaoJones
Old 14-02-2010, 09:54   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
They made the change to lay the finish line - the smaller jib was taking them too low. They stayed with the larger headsail until there was no question that they could gybe to the finish.

TaoJones
I think you mean the smaller headsail was taking them too high. They were on a downwind leg, where you want to be low and fast.
Old 14-02-2010, 09:57   #65
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I think you mean the smaller headsail was taking them too high. They were on a downwind leg, where you want to be low and fast.
Incorrect. They were being taken too low and had to go back to the larger headsail to gain power to get them back up above the line.

TaoJones
Old 14-02-2010, 10:07   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Incorrect. They were being taken too low and had to go back to the larger headsail to gain power to get them back up above the line.

TaoJones
Sorry, but you are wrong. I repeat: they were on a downwind leg where you want to be low and fast. Being below the layline is a problem when you are sailing to a windward mark, not a downwind mark
Old 14-02-2010, 10:57   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I believe this is the sort of exciting match racing that multihull enthusiasts insist will "revitalize" the AC.
There was nothing wrong with the AC until EB/Allinghi started screwing around with it and moved the race into the court room.

All the countries & boats involved in the Louis Vuitton Cup '07 in Valencia was exciting. Plus a 7 race AC 32........ lots of racing action, great venue, warm weather with wind, big crowds with happy sponsors.

Maybe there should be two AC cups - one for Mono - One for Multi

Enjoyed the technology & novelty but that was it.

will be interesting how it will move forward - hopefully it can have some reasonable rules with many boats (no matter how many hulls) involved - selfishly SF Bay would be great but think Newport will win out

Volvo Ocean Race is the pinnacle for me
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 10:59   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
But there's some weirdness to consider here. When they are going downwind, they are really going upwind because at their SOG, the apparent wind shifts far forward. Just look at the way they were trimmed downwind ... it was like anyone else would have been trimmed on a close reach.
Old 14-02-2010, 11:03   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't have objections really to the multis. It's a different race and anyone watching will have to learn to appreciate new aspects. No one is ever going to get excited about a multihull tack, for example. But the sheer speed could be exciting, especially if the boats closed more than once or twice a race.

Having said that, I could see a multi race being exciting, but they'd have to come up with a formula for the boats that made them affordable that syndicates could have more than one and therefore be more willing to take risks in the race.

As is, the boats are so damn expensive that you have silly parameters placed on the race conditions (not over 15 knots of wind, for example).
Old 14-02-2010, 11:07   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuteman View Post
There was nothing wrong with the AC until EB/Allinghi started screwing around with it and moved the race into the court room.

All the countries & boats involved in the Louis Vuitton Cup '07 in Valencia was exciting. Plus a 7 race AC 32........ lots of racing action, great venue, warm weather with wind, big crowds with happy sponsors.

Maybe there should be two AC cups - one for Mono - One for Multi

Enjoyed the technology & novelty but that was it.

will be interesting how it will move forward - hopefully it can have some reasonable rules with many boats (no matter how many hulls) involved - selfishly SF Bay would be great but think Newport will win out

Volvo Ocean Race is the pinnacle for me
I agree about the VOR. I was talking about this with a friend: why hasn't someone harnessed the video from that race for a reality/documentary show. It's got to be at least as interesting as watching guys catch king crab!
Old 14-02-2010, 12:27   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
But the sheer speed could be exciting, especially if the boats closed more than once or twice a race.
a bit like
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 12:32   #72

Is the state of American sailboat racing really so poor that they can justify having just one american crew on BMWO (two in race 2 but one of those was Larry Ellison)? I can understand the Swiss loading up with New Zealanders, given they are hardly an ocean racing nation, but the USA? How does the USA racing community feel about that?

http://www.americascup.com/en/actual...-s-cup-19-1496

Part of the past appeal of the America Cup downunder, for the general public outside the yachting fraternity, seemed to be pride and passion in the national team of New Zealanders / Australians on their home-designed and home-built boats slugging out against the rest of the world. Now we just seem to be slugging it out amongst ourselves on the payrolls of richer countries... hardly a recipe for widespread public enthusiasm.
paradix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 13:00   #73
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Sorry, but you are wrong. I repeat: they were on a downwind leg where you want to be low and fast. Being below the layline is a problem when you are sailing to a windward mark, not a downwind mark
Your belief that today was upwind/downwind is probably the source of your confusion, speedo. The first, race, Thursday, was upwind/downwind, but today's race was on a reaching course.

Once they rounded the windward mark, they bore off on two reaching legs. The only time the vessels sailed downwind was after the gybe to get back to the finish line.

I suggest that you watch the race again on ESPN360.com and pay attention to the commentary of Gary Jobson and Randy Smyth. If you're right, and I'm wrong, then Jobson and Smyth are also wrong.

Still want to assert your certitude, speedo?

TaoJones
Old 14-02-2010, 13:10   #74

They spend millions and millions of dollars, and it's all over in two races. Crazy.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2010, 13:27   #75

Boat: Farrier f27
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
They spend millions and millions of dollars, and it's all over in two races. Crazy.
Yeah, that's one of the issues that gets me - 2 races and it's over!!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote