Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2014, 22:25   #1

Boat: WALLER MKII CAT 11M
Aluminum Catamaran

HI all, I have been looking for a design to build in aluminum, so far the only cat I have found is Tim Mumby's , having difficulty contacting him and getting quetions answered, Does anyone know of a cat design / plans available in the 40 to 47 ft range. Thanks in advance
delcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2014, 23:57   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Aluminum Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrest View Post
HI all, I have been looking for a design to build in aluminum, so far the only cat I have found is Tim Mumby's , having difficulty contacting him and getting quetions answered, Does anyone know of a cat design / plans available in the 40 to 47 ft range. Thanks in advance
Peter Kerr - Lizard Yachts, Australia 0428 857 336 and LIZARD YACHTS. He is a really nice bloke.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 08:16   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

There is the Fastwater 52 - it is really 50' with a swim platform. Hy-Tech Marine, Inc. - FastWater 52 SailCat

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:53   #4

Alumarine builds a 48 ft Cat, but you may need to speak French?

Mise à l'eau de l'Alumarine 48

Welcome in Luxury Catamarans section

LAVRANOS Marine Design is another:

Lavranos // Marine Design 9.9 METER "KITSET" ALUMINIUM OCEAN CRUISER

Hans Gunnerval spent 5 year building his aluminum beauty with heaps of pics of the entire buildout.

Photos

Hall Marine Design : http://www.hallmarinedesign.com/2_ma...sing-catamaran

Lock Crowther also has designed aluminum cats in that range.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 15:39   #5

Boat: Comet 41s

Alumarine makes also the Kat'alu 43

Kat'alu 43

There is also the Banana 43

PROMETA | Construction Bateaux Aluminium Voiles et Moteurs

http://www.garcia-yachting.com/site/voilier.php?id=41

and the Galileo 41

http://www.adn-lelievre.com/medias/p...2010_essai.pdf
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 07:35   #6

thanks for all the reply's talking with lizard yachts at the moment, for us in south africa it looks like the best way to build is in aluminum for a one of boat, material prices look slightly better and you have not got all the epoxy and filler to fair, and I dont see it taking as long to build,or am I missing something
Old 27-03-2014, 10:48   #7

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
t....I dont see it taking as long to build,or am I missing something
I think you are missing the obvious: if most voyage cats are not built in aluminium it should be for some reason

In what regards cats to be built under the owner supervision at a private shipyard few offer the advantages of Schionning designed cats and several where built in South Africa on the last years, these ones :

Bermuda Yachts - The Bermuda 77

Wix.com Wahooforsale created by Benschionning based on Minimal Shop

https://www.facebook.com/SchionningD...59464484097351

Have a lot at their building kits:

kit-catamarans
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2014, 14:20   #8

Quote:
thanks for all the reply's talking with lizard yachts at the moment, for us in south africa it looks like the best way to build is in aluminum for a one of boat, material prices look slightly better and you have not got all the epoxy and filler to fair, and I dont see it taking as long to build,or am I missing something
The interior is more work. You can't just fair and pint the inside of a metal boat. you have to build an entire interior.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 17:22   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The OP wants a 40-47' boat. The only pure sailing catamaran Bruce Roberts has plans for is 65' - the rest are motor sailors. I have not seen the OP state that he is paying $8,000+ for any plans - he only stated he is talking with Lizard. Unlike Bruce Roberts, Lizard also builds their boats and the OP may be discussing that with them.

Of all the boat designs listed so far, the Bruce Roberts would be the bottom of the list for me.

You seem very sensitive about Bruce Roberts - do you have an interest in them or the company?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2014, 19:35   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

The problem with alum boats is structure design. Boats tend to twist and bend in heavy seas. A monohull isn't too bad but cats are a big problem. All that twisting and bending creates cracks next to the welds. So advanced designing to reinforce stress points has to be implemented.

I'd love to have an alum cat but I can't afford the quality of work that it takes to have a properly built offshore cat. 12 years ago when I was looking they were almost non existent. Times have changed but still expensive.

Another thing about welding alum is the shrinkage. I use to build alum towers and we had to add 1/32" of length for each joint welded. Preheating helped but that's difficult on large pieces.
Old 31-03-2014, 02:50   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
. 12 years ago when I was looking they were almost non existent. Times have changed but still expensive..
Need to search more widely, Lizard (peter kerr) and Tim Mumby and Owen easton all have plenty of boats that are 20 years old. All going strong
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 08:49   #12

Thanks again guys for all the input, at the moment I am looking at the Mumby and lizard yachts designs, both of these boats have been built by amatures in the past and all reports i have had so far have been very good some info on the mumby can be seen here SV MEERCAT Build At the moment i am pricing up the material for the build,
BRUCE ROBERTS plans are a lot cheaper as the OP pointed out, after talking with him he could alter his deaign to sailing catamaran and the cost would be almost the same if not more than any of the other designers
Old 31-03-2014, 09:53   #13

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Need to search more widely, Lizard (peter kerr) and Tim Mumby and Owen easton all have plenty of boats that are 20 years old. All going strong
Actually is was in 1999 and the WWWeb search capabilities were not very good at the time. Plus I live in the Pacific NW were Cats are rare anyway.
Times have changed, along with build methods.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Laurie Davidson 35

I've had a good look through and know owners of lizard 50, easton 46 and mumby cyber47. All have there good and bad points. The Mumby is more of a performance design with less creature comforts and lighter built which may mean less material costs. I don't think the interior fit out is that hard, foam blocks and flat glass panels coved together. They are cheap and fast to build compared to a glass cat.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kestrahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 15:32   #15

Dear Delcrest,

I am a great fan of catamarans and aluminium, with the right design could be a great combination.

I found a couple of interesting links for aluminium catamarans, some great designs hear:
azores150sc
azores137
De Villiers Design - 62' Alloy Cruising Cat - Design #067
De Villiers Design - 50' Alloy Cruising Catamaran
aluminium "wharram" catamaran - Wharram Builders and Friends
CATAMARAN Aluminium in Loire-Atlantique | Catamaran sailboat used 01780

See the bottom of the link, an excellent cruise blog, you may need a good structural engineer (New Zealand Oct 2010):
Le livre de Mowgli

hope this helps, looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Hugh
dart6911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran