Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Multihull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2009, 06:10   #1

Boat: Careel 22
Post Advice on a 1984 Piver Nimble 30ft reno' please.

G'day mates,

I have had a response to my email query about the 1984 Piver Nimble 30ft x 18ft beam, Built in Composite, that I'm interested in and I'm considering flying up north to have a look at her but before doing so I need to check around our locality for a mooring and a place where I can get her out of the water to work on the hulls and decks. I would appreciate some advice from experienced Piver owners on "what" I should be on the look-out for while doing an inspection...before buying or making any offers, so if anyone can advise me on that matter, it would be much appreciated. If I buy this Piver, I will need to buy a 10hp long shaft motor so that I can motor her back home, a distance of about 2950KM or about 1,974.98 miles so I need to make sure she is safe to do the trip. The broker says she could make the trip no problem but he won't be the one making the trip.

The broker states on his sales page and in his email response:
This 30 foot Piver trimaran offers great potential for anyone wanting a project and potential live aboard. The vessel has previously cruised the gulf country and east coast of Australia. She can be restored to her former glory and the engine needs replacing. The vessel also requires a huge clean including anti foul and repaint. This sleeping beauty offers a roomy saloon with good size double berth and open style galley. Priced attractively to allow someone an opportunity to bring back her back to the well proven vessel she has been - a great live aboard/coastal cruiser. This vessel is being sold as is where is.
The broker also says the owner has upgraded to a bigger boat and that's why he's selling.

She does look tired and neglected...Big Time and her 8hp Petrol Yamaha needs replacing along with her sails, her rigging also needs checking and a lot of cosmetics need taking care of but apparently she's dry below deck. she was last slipped in 2003.
After seeing the beaut job done by Kai Nui on his Piver Lodestar 35, I feel I would like to rescue this Piver 30'...so long as it's not beyond my capabilities...and pocket. I have all the power and hand tools for woodworking, welding and doing electrical work and I have the time, So any advice you folk can offer me will be most welcome.
Thanking you in advance for your advice.

Cheers mates,

Bill AU

PS. I forgot to ask, would it be a big job to put a shower into this Piver?

Tags
piver