where to start...
a couple of years back I rescued my Y39 aft cockpit
from the chainsaws. the boat was an unfinished kit version that had sat in a field for its entire life. what fit-out had been done was piss poor with minimal tabbing, CDX, grossly out of plumb bulkheads etc. I got the impression it was being built as a marina queen and not as a serious cruising boat.
but I could see the potential and just accepted the fact that it would be a gut-and-rebuild kind of project. gotta say im really happy with how its coming together. major repairs
and mods completed to date are:
ballast keel/floors - the concrete over lead had separated from the inside of the keel shell opening a gap of about 1/8" both sides. I measured the volume of the crack by pouring acetone in one gallon at a time till the level came up into the bilge
. 16 gallons!. drilled small holes at the bottom of the shell to release said acetone. did this 4 times til it ran clear. waited several months of hot weather to be sure all had evaporated then filled the gap with epoxy/fibers. 18 gallons in two pours re-attached the ballast to the inside of the shell and permanently sealed the bilge from future water ingress. later will tie the bilge into new laminated ipe floors and hull with about 100oz of biax/epoxy beyond the turn.
raised/extended cabintop - im 6'3" so need clear standing headroom
at least in the saloon
and galley. bumping the saloon
cabintop 4" and dropping the galley sole accomplished this. also extended the cabintop in the forepeak and extended the saloon aft with new cockpit
bulkhead. very roomy interior
volume now and still an 8' cockpit.
transom extension - really just a proper counter transom for propane
locker/lazrette and folding swim step.
raised gunwales from minimal toerails, added scuppers, redesign cockpit for tiller stearing, added 3' sprit and foredeck hatches, about to start new rudder
is gutted out to glass and 7 primary BHs and ringframes for now, im waiting for winter to get back to interior work.
what ive learned so far:
the basic hull and deck
appear to be well built although the deck mold
was asymmetrical, not enough to see with the naked eye but when measuring with a laser its obvious. the glass appears hand laid, no chopper gun and no mat other than the outer layer under the gelcoat
. 1/2" thick above the waterline and 5/8" below, appears to be 22oz roving throughout. everything else in my boat was demoed. ive only heard/read the same anecdotal tails about these boats but certainly as "kits" you are at the mercy of the guy who did the finish work. for whatever reason it seems a lot of the yorktowns were finished by less than professional builders while other kit boats like the westsail42 where done by qualified boatrights. might have something to do with name band designers. mccune a relative unknown, crealock
more attractive to professionals, just an idea.
no reason the boat shouldn't sail well, but not going to win any races. very fine entry, dead flat exits, long keel with deep cutaway, large aperture with balanced semi skeg rudder
. should be a good balance of strong/seakindly/maneuverable. should heave-to well yet still go up wind
, should be relatively quick to surf (for a 9 ton cruiser) and should be capable of careening on a soft beach when needed. all in all a thoroughly utilitarian cruising platform. and even though im not wild about the pronounced flair in the bow it does open up some deck room forward and should make for a dryer beat.
happy to meet another owner and talk boats if you are in socal...