Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2018, 21:42   #16

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch
Re: Yet another boat advice post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
There is another Lexcen 38 for $28,000 on Gumtree. A customer of mine showed me it to me last week. She needs work but the price is right.
Cheers
Had to have a look. That is a nice boat! Classic lines, bulwarks, modern hull underwater, shallow draft. Looks like it needs some work and cleaning up, but at this price. I like the Interior layout also, but maybe not the woodwork. The list of deficiencies is kind of normal for the age. More will show up.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 23:02   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

You'll get alot more for your money overseas IMHO.

Also there are nice easy cheaper places to learn to cruise, Langkawi /Phuket comes to mind.

I'd be looking at the west coast of Mexico or certain parts of Europe. Spend a couple of seasons learning and then move on.

I got a really good buy back home in Oz, but I don't believe this is that common. Much greater range in other parts of the world.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 02:21   #18

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoftas View Post
Hello

We are looking to buy a boat.

If you happen to be or come down to Sydney, you're welcome to have a look around my 45" steel sloop and you can pick my brain if you want.
Not that my boat is for sale, though...

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 04:55   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoftas View Post

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on these 2 boats, or what we should be looking at or any general advice on this exciting, confusing and somewhat daunting venture.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Get the boat YOU like and stop worrying about whether faceless forum people like it.
Old 22-11-2018, 13:41   #20

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's a link to a discussion you might be interested in: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ter-59144.html

I also am of the opinion that fiberglass, and as small as will meet your desires is the best way to go. Remember that although small on the water, boats look huge when you look up at them with your sanding block and are getting ready to prep the bottom for painting.

Look for a simple boat, shun complications. For a first boat, maybe a Herreshoff 28, and sail the heck out of it. Move up later on if you decide cruising is for you. Many of those available in Oz that have pretty nice fitouts.

I looked at both your links, and of the two, the Tangaroa is closer to my cup of tea, but it is still steel, with all the grinding, prepping, paint systems required, I would not personally buy a steel boat because of the additional labor required to maintain one. If it has to be metal, select aluminium.

The boat in Ballina, I would not expect it to have an interior fitout that pleased me. People's aesthetic sense varies a lot. I've heard it said that you should select a boat that just looking at her makes your heart go pitty-pat. I would not want to feel embarrassed by a boat I found unattractive, every time I left it by dinghy, or returned to it.

Ann
Old 22-11-2018, 15:29   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 36

I would go with steel but hey, that's just me. Knowing how to weld is a must if you buy an old steel boat! But it's way easier and more affordable than fiberglass IMHO. I even disagree with the never-ending-painting stories unless you like shiny smooth rust free finishing on your old steel boat. If so, it will kill you.

For the two boats you presented I would go for the first round bilged one. NON-Ketch double ender with a solid doghouse. Big single mast rig, long keel. I think that's a very forgiving boat. You can make every mistake in the book and that floating vault will still take you where you want to go.
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2018, 15:56   #22

any thoughts on this one?

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...-custom/225951
panoftas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat