Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 14:04   #1

Yet another boat advice post

Hello

We are looking to buy a boat.

We have done a bit of sailing but are essentially novices and this will be our first boat. Our plans are initially to sail the east coast of Australia over a 6 month period however we want a boat capable of going further afield as while lacking in experience we are not short of lofty aspirations.

Our budget is about 80K AUD.

Things we want in a boat are:
A boat we can comfortably live on as a couple and at times with a few guests.
Something that is safe, kind and forgiving in heavy seas or just regular seas for that matter.
Something capable of and ideally equipped for international cruising.
Of course a boat that requires little to no maintenance

Based on these things we are thinking a boat about 40-45 feet. I am strangely attracted to metal boats, I like the idea of a boat that is hard to break and I can work with metal, perhaps this is foolish, could definitely be talked into a glass boat. Beyond that when it comes to keel/hull design, rig type, cockpit placement etc I am a little confused by the wildly varying and polarised information out there on these matters and lack the personal experience to form a opinion.

Our current favourites are the following 2 boats:

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for.../custom/225275

Sara, Jérôme et Zahir

Would greatly appreciate any thoughts on these 2 boats, or what we should be looking at or any general advice on this exciting, confusing and somewhat daunting venture.

Cheers and thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanga.010.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	180985  
panoftas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 06:22   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Yet another boat advice post

The first one, launched in 1940? Really? Though the sea doesn't change, yacht design has probably come a ways since then. It is a good bit narrower than the second boat, but draws just as much water. It does seem to have done some traveling since being "refitted" in 2008. but may need replacing or improving worn gear and systems. As novices, you may not be aware of everything that might need attention. The second boat has also been sailed a good bit. The newer design (though now 40 years old!) is likely a good deal faster. The ketch rig might be well-suited to long-distance downwind cruising, but if the first boat's gear may actually be newer. Both boats are pretty large, especially for handling by novices. From what we hear, sailing around in Oz isn't always easy.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 06:59   #3

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Little to no maintenance....... That is funny!

If sailing time exceeds maintenance time, then you have a good deal.

I like steel boats, but they are more maintenance intensive than fibreglass. Also, as novices, a smaller boat is better, it teaches you more, the forces are less, and if something happens it is easier to do something about. 35 - 40' is a good combination of handiness and liveability for a couple. And, in warmer climates, you live most of the time on deck or in the cockpit anyhow, so the extra space below is of little importance.

The choice of boat is very individual, and every sailor has different ideas, so not easy to give advice.

Try to sort these factors in your order of importance: performance, liveability under deck, liveability above deck, sea kindliness, safety, built quality, draft.

There are very many good cruising boats around, so just to get you thinking I want to list an odd one that should fit novices and Australian waters: Freedom 40, designed by Gary Hoyt.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 07:24   #4

Oh man, If I had known I could get a boat that requires little or no maintenance, I would definitely have gotten one of them.....and rode my flying unicorn to it!!
But seriously, good luck.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 07:33   #5

Fibreglass boats are pretty tough also:

Old 21-11-2018, 08:03   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Yet another boat advice post

Have owned timber, composite, steel and grp boats..
Ease of maintenance/repair from my experiences in order.. GRP, Composite, Timber and Steel..
Should add my timber boat was straight edge to edge carvel pitch pine planking and the composite was epoxied marine ply and glass sheeting.
With steel it was constant vigilance and dealing with rust above decks.. and below where water would trap in awkward places.
In the end tho' its down to how much you want to sail and how much you like grinding and painting.
Good hunting..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:37   #7

Boat: Scout 30

Everybody is dancing around this. For your first boat go with fiberglass. Buy the best quality boat you can afford in the best condition you can find & make it the smallest boat that will suit your needs.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 09:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Everybody is dancing around this. For your first boat go with fiberglass. Buy the best quality boat you can afford in the best condition you can find & make it the smallest boat that will suit your needs.
You said it in few words
Old 21-11-2018, 10:34   #9

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

I agree with the plastic boat. A steel boat will easily make you want to die. Imagine whats going on in all the places you can't see, rust, corrosion, boats are a pain in the butt without asking for extra...take the easy route.
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:09   #10

Boat: Liberty 458

All good requirements except for the no maintenance for $80k.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 14:49   #11

Boat: Volkscruiser

Wow you are not asking much for 80k. Nothing wrong with steel but unless you keep on top of the maintenance they can look very neglected in a short space of time. Thats why fiberglass is so popular, most maintenance can be put off until you feel like doing it.
Buying a boat is such a personal thing only you can decide what you want? Its a bit like choosing your life partner.
I like this yacht below mainly becuase it has had plenty of upgrades and sounds like it has been owned by a fussy owner. Plus it has a Yanmar diesel which I love.
The one thing you should be looking for is a low hour motor. They are an expensive item to replace and if you are going cruising you will be using it a fair bit.......The rigging and sails etc are another expensive item to replace.
Go kick some cradles and see what you do and don't like.
Cheers

https://yachthub.com/list/yachts-for...xcen-40/204750
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 15:04   #12

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoftas View Post
Okay, you gave everybody a big chuckle on this one. Now back to the real world. Not only will any boat you choose require maintenance - the cost of that maintenance will be substantial. Most advise that you budget 10-20% of the cost of your boat for annual maintenance, insurance, moorage, repairs, and upgrades. Be straight with yourself upfront about the costs and time commitments of boat ownership.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 16:56   #13

Hello

Thanks all for your thoughts.

I was obviously joking with the maintenance comment while I am a novice I understand all boats require significant maintenance.

The Lexcen 40 looks really good, we will check it out. Just a little out of our budget right now but I guess prices or negotiable and it would fit with the advice of buying the best possible boat you can afford.

Cheers
panoftas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 20:08   #14

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by panoftas View Post
Hello

Things we want in a boat are:
A boat we can comfortably live on as a couple and at times with a few guests.
Something that is safe, kind and forgiving in heavy seas or just regular seas for that matter.
Something capable of and ideally equipped for international cruising.
That would be a cruise ship.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 21:03   #15

Boat: Volkscruiser

That Lexcen is listed on Gumtree in October 2017 for $90,0000, the broker has it at $98,0000. I bet your $80,000 is closer to the real price than the $98,000. If the owner is listing it himself then maybe his sales agreement with the broker is finished?
There is another Lexcen 38 for $28,000 on Gumtree. A customer of mine showed me it to me last week. She needs work but the price is right.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat