Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2016, 21:18   #181
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: World's Largest Sailing Yacht A

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Watch from the 5:00 min mark and please explain how the pool becomes a helicopter pad and how any pilot could land there so close to the mast and boom.

Also on deck boat storage forward would be a lot less clean looking once everything is in place.
I don't see a problem.
The pool probably drains into a reservoir (or not, depending on ballast system used) and a Hydraulic lift raises the floor section far enough above the weather deck for rotors to be well clear of the house

The Boom is probably swung out wide and maybe even topped up based on whether landing is at anchor or underway.

Not that close to the mast and I am sure within the regulations.

Because of the low volume sailing hull and need for enough crew, I don't see any other solution for hidden tender storage....But those would not be my choice of tenders.

I would favor large customized jet propelled ribs of less weight
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 21:35   #182
cruiser

1970 Italian Ferrari Daytona vs the 1970 Detroit Superbird monstrosity.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	138038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	138039  

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 23:34   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
In what regards coffee machines it is hard to beat the Italians. Their machines make the best coffee.
er... not anymore. Not for several years.
Commercially, the Italian machines make excellent coffee and are in use all over the world. However, the Spanish machines are equally as popular and more in use than you would think.

The accolade for the best machine goes to a coveted America design which costs thousands and is the aspiration of coffee houses all over the world. The only thing stopping me from purchasing a single head machine is the close to 10K price delivered... gulp!

The machines have a unique ability to extract flavour using a single lever to retard or increase the flow at a constant pressure so as to deliver the coffee to the cup with different taste profiles from water saturation and concentration.

Does it make a difference? Oh yes..

Using only one varietal of coffee, anyone can cover the taste range from rich and dark with extreme depth of flavour to mellow and smooth with floral highlights.

So very amazing...

If I were to come into money, Id choose the single head machine and build the Catamaran around it...

Now if A has one of these aboard...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 01:00   #184
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

That was the sexiest coffee machine video I have ever seen.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 01:59   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
That was the sexiest coffee machine video I have ever seen.
You dont get out much do you...?

However.. is the BEST machine I have ever used hands down.

I really want one at some stage.
Old 15-12-2016, 03:45   #186

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Watch from the 5:00 min mark and please explain how the pool becomes a helicopter pad and how any pilot could land there so close to the mast and boom.

Also on deck boat storage forward would be a lot less clean looking once everything is in place.
You should ask the designer but it does not seem difficult to me given the huge dimensions of the boat. I don't see a back stay so I suppose it has not one and all you have to do is to open the boom from the last mast. On the movie they show it just a bit open. It can go much more forward.

You will have an open flight path just till the last mast. The space is big.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:31   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Except for the small fact the the Daytona Charger / Plymouth Superbird would absolutely slay the Ferrari in what they were designed for, top speed. They are / were completely different cars, with completely different missions, like comparing a Corvette with a Rolls.
Going off of memory the Superbird had an average lap speed at Tallegeda of a tiny bit over 199 MPH, 199.466 from memory and over 220 on the straights and was not topped out.
This from a guy who will have nothing at all to do with NASCAR.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 04:41   #188

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Except for the small fact the the Daytona Charger / Plymouth Superbird would absolutely slay the Ferrari in what they were designed for, top speed. They are / were completely different cars, with completely different missions, like comparing a Corvette with a Rolls.
Going off of memory the Superbird had an average lap speed at Tallegeda of a tiny bit over 199 MPH, 199.466 from memory and over 220 on the straights and was not topped out.
That is a funny thread, almost about anything. I like it

Yes I agree, the Plymouth, as you say was built to go fast on a straight line, or on an oval speedway with soft inclined curves, that are not very different than a straight line, an American specialty. The Daytona was designed to go fast on a road or on a diversified track. Completely different stuff, but from the early 70's the real supercar was this one (Italian off course):

"Folklore has it that during a pre-delivery test run on the autostrada in January 1975, this 1974 Lamborghini Countach LP400 ‘Periscopa Speciale’ (chassis number 1120056) achieved a speed of 202 miles per hour (326 kph), making it the first production road car to break the 200 MPH mark. While today’s consensus dismisses the 200 MPH claim, this Countach can stake a legitimate claim of being the fastest road car in the world, at that time."
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 05:10   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Most of my early british cars were Rolls Canardlys.

Would roll downhill but can 'ardly get up them...

Old 15-12-2016, 05:46   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
1970 Italian Ferrari Daytona vs the 1970 Detroit Superbird monstrosity.
While we can argue which car or boat or coffee machine was "sexy" for its time this 1963 Jag can still pass today for current Miata or some such. Some designs just happened to become timeless. And this IMO should be the standard for classical (as opposed to contemporary only) beauty. Just like a Rembrandt or Michelangelo will always be beautiful even when commercially unpopular but a Picasso will always have to be explained to each generation of its "admirers" and will always be an acquired taste.

Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 05:47   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
While we can argue which car or boat or coffee machine was "sexy" for its time this 1963 Jag can still pass today for current Miata or some such. Some designs just happened to become timeless. And this IMO should be the standard for classical (as opposed to contemporary only) beauty. Just like a Rembrandt or Michelangelo will always be beautiful even when commercially unpopular but a Picasso will always have to be explained to each generation of its "admirers".

Is beautiful but it floats like a brick...
Old 15-12-2016, 05:53   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Is beautiful but it floats like a brick...
Let's wait and see how the yacht A will be floating 50 years later.
Old 15-12-2016, 06:01   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The old Jags were gorgeous, the E types and I think the 120's if I have the nomenclature correct.
As far as the Countach being the first to break 200, not even close as the old bird would break 200.
However the old cars then wont hold a card to what is widely available today.

I always love how some like to talk about the superiority of the European super cars, but neglect to mention they cost as much as a small countries GDP and are very, very rare. Where the US performance cars can be bought by an average person and are available and in truth are not much if any less performance than the European cars.
My wife's daily driver was for many years the quickest and fastest four door production automobile period. Not just on a US drag race, but I'm talking lap times at the Nuremberg ring. We have had it for years and the only unscheduled maintenance item it has ever had was I had to replace the rear differential bushing the other day as the rubber in it over the years with that excessive torque had just given up, couple of hours work and maybe $100 in parts and tool rental.
Old 15-12-2016, 06:19   #194

Quote:
The old Jags were gorgeous, the E types and I think the 120's if I have the nomenclature correct.
As far as the Countach being the first to break 200, not even close as the old bird would break 200.
However the old cars then wont hold a card to what is widely available today.

I always love how some like to talk about the superiority of the European super cars, but neglect to mention they cost as much as a small countries GDP and are very, very rare. Where the US performance cars can be bought by an average person and are available and in truth are not much if any less performance than the European cars.
My wife's daily driver was for many years the quickest and fastest four door production automobile period. Not just on a US drag race, but I'm talking lap times at the Nuremberg ring. We have had it for years and the only unscheduled maintenance item it has ever had was I had to replace the rear differential bushing the other day as the rubber in it over the years with that excessive torque had just given up, couple of hours work and maybe $100 in parts and tool rental.
Some of the reasons of the rarity of European cars in US were artificial barriers by DOT and later EPA as well as the currency and transportation costs issues. Japanese started from the other end of the specter selling cheap junk (not unlike today's Chinese consumer goods junk) and slowly learning to upmarket their output.

And yes the American cars for a long time were better made but that all changed in the late 70s-early 80s when the quality curves started to reverse with US cars going downhill and Japanese (but not the Euro cars for the most part) going uphill. My very first car when still in high school was 1972 Pontiac. And while it was very decent and roomy car for its purpose (to drive a bunch of teenagers from one trouble to another ) it drove like a school bus and consumed gas at even higher rate. So while my experience was not totally bad and I'm all gun ho for US made products, all else being equal, this was the first and the last US brand car I ever owned out of about a dozen or more cars since then. And aesthetics were a significant part of my preferences in addition to price/quality considerations. So much for US engineering and ingenuity.

Similar things have happened to US sailboat building. 40-50 or more years ago we were churning out much better and more affordable boats comparatively speaking. Today if you count the number of US owned and made sailboat brands on more than one hand I'd be surprised. I know that big part of it are general market trends, etc. But may be if we continued building affordable sailboats the market would not trend toward cheaper imports or give up on sailing altogether. I don't have an answer to this chicken or egg question.
Old 15-12-2016, 06:41   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, US cars of the 70's were horrible monstrosities, we needed to have our Butts handed to us, and it was,on a platter . Since before the beginning of the 21st Centruy that hasn't been true anymore.
It's the Korean cars that in my opinion are the new Japanese cars, by that I mean best value, you get more for your money there than anywhere.
They are US manufactured, as are a great many of the European cars that are in the US as well as the Japanese cars.
I believe the Prius is the only Toyota you can buy in the US that is actually manufactured in Japan, and that may not be true anymore, but was in 2010.

Tags
sailing, sail, yacht