Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 16:04   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Why are the Amel Super Maramu SO ugly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Scandinavian design??
What ?... Like IKEA??

I strayed aboard a Hanse at a boat show recently... it looked like an IKEA interior.....
LOL. Yes, Amels may be ugly, but they aren't the only ugly boats you can buy . . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 16:25   #47

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
LOL. Yes, Amels may be ugly, but they aren't the only ugly boats you can buy . . . .
Hobie_ind, my comment was kinda 'tongue-in-cheek'. They are actually a very servicable boat, and not bad on the eye either.
Old 06-10-2015, 19:08   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I also just couldn't get used to the aesthetics, which I know in my heart is a stupid reason to buy or not buy a boat, but....
If you are going to buy a hole in the water in which to throw money you had better love it.

I think some lighting options and decorating tricks could do a lot to open them up. But the space thing is all part of the mission.

I was watching some utube video reviews on the 55 and did they ever get a lot of things wrong on the first ones.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 00:54   #49

Boat: NAJAD 440CC

However, the naval architect Henri Amel was the founder (in 1965) of the shipyards bearing his name, he retired in 1979 and died in 2009.
The Amel Super Maramu are definitely great boats, but ugly.
giorgio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 22:34   #50

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Yes, I don't particularly love Amel, though good boats.

But... I don't like the New Design style, after the Wallys revolution, the Ferragamo Swans....

And... I don't like center cockpits too
I don't like Pilot House boats, unless 20+m LOA!!! (PATHETIC, when shorter...)

But.. hold on!m is there any reason to love ANY MASS-PRODUCTION BOATS OF THE CURRENT TIMES!? I still prefer a honest Jeannau from the 80's to any current sleek design (all brands included, of any European country, Scandinavian too)

Few exceptions hold, though: consider CONYPLEX (NL) HANS CHRISTIAN (US) SERIGI AND ZUANELLI (I) NAJAD

NOTE:

I visited a brand new 80' ultra light, with IKEA FINISH on honeycomb panels, yes, a 5mEur boat
Beauty is often in the eyes of Beholders I can Not respect much, aesthetic-wise :-)

Buy a boat you like. This is a need, for a leisure choice. Same for car-toys, second house, second wife :-), etc,..

PS
Yes, as a very rich I'd go for my custom boat... maybe drawn after an Abeking&Rasmussen design, or any Herreshoff, or a S&S, with modern gear

In some way, few Dutch shipbuilders go this way

PPS there will always be Palladian style villas, but not so many O'Gheary styled ones, all those "beholders" being already powder
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 23:01   #51

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Yes, Italians and Frenchmen usually clash about...
Wine: you spend 20+EUR in F for good wine, just 6EUR in I

Women: laetitia casta and c.deneuve married italians. Bellucci and c.Bruni moved to F for interest .. :-)

Men of notice: Belmondo, Montand, YSL are to my understanding of Italian desendance :-)

Boats: ugly are, consistently, the GibSeas, the ETAP, some CNB....they are short of refined details, just practical to the bone.

I bought mine from a Frenchman:
- on his salad bowl I put my dog food
- I used the cooking pans for acid baths on rusty things (A4 is unknown in F, and A2 is an optional)
- yes, upholstery was horrible blue, towels too!!
- mugs were used by me for engine oil filling
- wine bottles were tasted and refused even by my poor Salvador worker...ahsh

No, thank you :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 00:04   #52

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

The Amel Super Maramu is the Amel Super Maramu.
If you think it is ugly go and look at something else that makes you feel happier.
We are very happy with our Amel Super Maramu, we have travelled 000's of miles in her, a fair amount in rough weather and I have never been on a boat that made me feel as secure as Elyse,
The centre cockpit is not small, it is a good size for offshore sailing.
The interior isn't dark if you open the curtains and don't have the hatches covered.
The blue floors are unusual but they're not disgustingly horrible.
The Amel Super Maramu is in my view the best value for money bluewater cruiser you can buy today.
For the price no other boat comes with the complete equipment you get from Amel.
Henri Amel's idea was that the boat should be able to be able to be sailed by a couple and apart from provisioning should be ready to go offshore.
The Super Maramu was a direct descendant of all the Amel boats that went before...every model an improvement in the previous model.
It is a true bluewater cruiser that can be comfortably and safely sailed anywhere by a couple.
if it's ugly, then there are hundreds of folk out there, like us, who must have a quite a different "ugly" sensor than the OP.
Albro359 is offline   Reply With Quote