Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 10:10   #31

Re: Which Outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our 46-lb 5-hp 2-stroke won't get our 3.1m (10'2") RIB -- 135-lb boat, rated for min 10 max 15 hp, even with only one pax (me, 190-lbs) -- on plane.

I wonder if my idea of "planing" is off; our motor will raise the bow in the air... but we're still plowing through the water...

-Chris
No, a 5 wont plane a RIB. But will plane a 9ft air floor with two smallish people. Just when the bow gets up, both shift their weight forward, the bow comes down and your up on plane!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 10:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
No, a 5 wont plane a RIB. But will plane a 9ft air floor with two smallish people. Just when the bow gets up, both shift their weight forward, the bow comes down and your up on plane!
actually I had a 5hp nissan that would plane my 10'rib I had to shift my weight forward but once on top ran well . Two people no go
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 10:29   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Which outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Disagree:

My previous dink motor was a Evinrude 2-stroke, 2 cylinder 4 HP.
It ran great and would push the dink at 7.5 knots. (310 mercury hypalong @ 103 lbs + 225 lbs of all muscle operator)

3 years ago I bought a new Yamaha 4-stroke, 4 HP, same dink and same operator now enjoys 10.9 knots at full blast, verified with same GPS several times as I did not belive my eyes. Most definetly on the plane.

No idea why there is such a difference between 4 HP motors..
Most likely the greater torque of a 4 stroke allows for a greater pitched prop which will compensate more of the drag of the boat being pushed.
I'm always amazed when the weight issue comes up. Like a 4hp. weighs hundreds of pounds. My Nissan 6hp., 4 stroke is 49 pounds. Although O have a small crane on my radar tower, I can lift it easily without it. Lifting outboards by hand is more awkward than heavy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 06:40   #34

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Our 46-lb 5-hp 2-stroke won't get our 3.1m (10'2") RIB -- 135-lb boat, rated for min 10 max 15 hp, even with only one pax (me, 190-lbs) -- on plane.

I wonder if my idea of "planing" is off; our motor will raise the bow in the air... but we're still plowing through the water...

-Chris
I owe a correction.

Turns out the boat MIGHT plane, but under certain circumstances. Yesterday, the 90-lb First Mutt and I went for a quick trip, me aft, him standing at the bow. This was the first time I had a speedometer app with me, so I was checking performance, in generally calm (flat) waters. In addition to the boat, motor, me, and the dog, I had 1/2-gallon of gas in the internal tank, and 1 gallon of gas in the external tank (which was also aft).

Normal putter-along speed was about 4 mph, max non-planing speed was 7 mph... and that seemed to be pretty much the limit of what we could do.

But I perservered, and we got a little unanticipated help when overtaking the (very small) wake of a large boat that had just passed... and climbing over that little wake was apparently just enough to bump us up on plane. First time, ever.

Max speed on plane was 11 mph before I had to back off (traffic, ran out of room, etc.). I didn't have enough space in the area to experiment with potentially higher speeds (if any), or backing off to see how slow I could go while remaiing on plane.

Subsequent test with The Admiral aboard, her at the bow (undisclosed weight), First Mutt amidships, and me aft... max speed was 6 mph, no planing.

-Chris
Old 21-10-2012, 06:49   #35

Boat: 1984 Hans Christian 33t
So I have a 9' soft bottom will it plane with a 5hp 2 stroke?
Ruffriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 06:59   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffriders View Post
Our previous dinghy was a West Marine (Zodiac) RU-285 -- what's that, 9'6"? -- with air keel and a hinged "teak and holly" roll-up floor, approx 76-lbs IIRC.

Never got it to plane with this 5-hp 2-stroke we have (Johnson brand, built by Suzuki), although usually there we're two people and two big dogs (~210-220 lbs total dog weight) aboard and planing wasn't expected. With just me aboard, it always felt a bit too squirrely for me to try moving forward long enough to see if it'd get up... so dunno.

-Chris
Old 25-10-2012, 15:13   #37

Boat: 1984 Hans Christian 33t
So I think I may go with a 11' caribe rib with a 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke, both only have 10-15hours of use and have been stored inside, $4000

Any thoughts?

Could I use the main halyard to raise the dinghy to to deck? I would take the motor off first. The dinghy weighs 154lb
Ruffriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 16:40   #38

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
I guess I'm old fashion; question: why do people keep buying dingy that lasts 5 or so years. Go fiberglass

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 04:49   #39

Quote:
So I think I may go with a 11' caribe rib with a 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke, both only have 10-15hours of use and have been stored inside, $4000

Any thoughts?

Could I use the main halyard to raise the dinghy to to deck? I would take the motor off first. The dinghy weighs 154lb

Can't comment in depth on the Caribe, although I can say looks like it weighs ~20-lbs more than our Genesis.

I haven't seen any obvious design defects in our Johnson/Suzuki, and it works well enough (aside from occasional ethanol issues)... but of course it's a different motor so not sure that counts for anything.

An easy deploy/recover solution would let you use the thing more often. If splashing -- or especially the thought of struggling to get it back aboard -- becomes intimidating, you'll maybe begin to not use it...

(Davits?)

And (for capttman) I think that's one reason why some folks buy lighter boats, even if longevity might be shorter...

-Chris
Old 27-10-2012, 02:06   #40
cruiser

I think Yamaha would be better because of its reliability factor.....
michellepinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 02:13   #41
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
why do people keep buying dingy that lasts 5 or so years. Go fiberglass
My previous dink, a 9.6 Avon lasted 10 years.

Fiberglass dinks may be great but they tend to sink in heavy rain..
Old 27-10-2012, 18:33   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Which outboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I don't think you can buy a new 2 stroke in the US anymore. I think they are going with the more efficient 4 strokes these days only..............
How many 2-storkes do you want? I saw two in West Marine today. They only need to comply with current regulations. Modern 2's are vastly different from the stinkers we grew up with.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 10:50   #43

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

I dont know , my outboard , a kiekhaefer/mercury 7.5hp has been running like clockwork for one third of a decade, only changed plugs and one coil..
AND it takes my 10 foot zodiac with inflatable keel up in plane with two people an a 100 pound dog... everytime.

but you now , once american industry was indoustrious.. and american..

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 12:39   #44

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL

One third of a CENTURY , that is..

One other thing , 4strokes have to be placed on one side only , when not on the dinghy.. put it on the wrong side, oil in the cylinders , and BANG , broken rod on startup. maybe not on small 4strokes without electric start , but still..

.manitu
manitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:51   #45

Quote:
yes. just you? It should with 2...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard